PDA

View Full Version : Ticking = engine f'd!?

dgmorr
06-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Hey guys,

So I just let my good friend test drive my new (to me) E30. It's an eta block with an i head. After telling him not to drive it like my old Civic (rev the hell out of it), he proceeded to launch it. 1st to redline he missed second and bounced off the limiter at 6k for a good two seconds. Now there is a Loud ticking. He's taking care of all the repairs btw. Just trying to get an idea of what it could be. Bent valve? Valve to piston collision screw something up? Valve to cam lobe lash? Anyone have other ideas?

The ticking gets faster, not louder as the revs increase. I won't find out what it is for a couple days. I just dropped it off at the garage. I've also never noticed, or done this before, but I remoevd the oil cap while the engine was running and it sounded like it wanted to stall, does that normall happen? I've never had that happen on my other cars.

everlast
06-16-2006, 02:19 AM
If its possible you didn't notice the ticking before, then you might be ok. The m20 engine ticks loudly all the time. Over-reving make have not helped, but I'd say with a valve adjustment you may be ok. I guess a compression check will tell all. (Right guys?)

As for the oil cap, yes, that's normal. These engines don't have PCV valves, so an open oil cap or dipstick will vent air unmetered into the intake.

(I'm really sleepy right now, if anything here is wrong, please correct me guys.)

Jay

dgmorr
06-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Thanks for some relief. I did notice a slight tick before, but NOTHING like this. Right now it sounds as if it is an exhaust leak, but it's coming straight from the head.

Wow, never knew this had no PCV valve. Time to learn a LOT more about my new BMW.

Eurostyle
06-16-2006, 03:08 AM
I have a 325i engine for sale, $300...all you need is the oil pan and intake, which you should have since you have the "I" head....

T.Dot_E30
06-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Does it run really rough?

Worst case is you broke a rocker arm, but I think its more likely just a valve adjustment that you need. Its possible one came loose.

Quack
06-16-2006, 08:48 AM
you have some bad friends, even after you told him not to drive it rough he did it anyways, I think you should punch him in the back of his head :D

notjoe
06-16-2006, 09:11 AM
you have some bad friends, even after you told him not to drive it rough he did it anyways, I think you should punch him in the back of his head :D

I would do that, if he wasnt covering the cost of the repairs *th-up*

Blackout
06-16-2006, 09:15 AM
i had the exact same problem with the ticking when i first got my eta. jsut needed a valve adjustment and the ticking went back to normal. it will always tick but as long as it isnt really loud theres nothing wrong.

everlast
06-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Let us know how it goes. And get video of the punch to the back of the head after he pays.

Mystikal
06-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Probably just a loose valve, especially if there is no difference in driveability.

I doubt you'd snap a rocker at 6k, it takes most people 6900 or so to do that to an i.

Oh and yes, I have more than once sent valves loose with high rpm, and I have snapped a rocker arm at 7000rpm. Not fun.

dgmorr
06-16-2006, 01:26 PM
haha, yeah, I would have smacked him, but he's a good friend, and he's also covering repair costs.

I just got word from him that the mechanic said a rocker actually fell off the pedestel. I've never heard of this happen personally, but that sounded like something COULD have gone majorly wrong. Guess he got lucky this time.

It did run like it had lost a bit of power though.

Mystikal
06-17-2006, 10:46 AM
If you broke a rocker at 6000rpm, it was on its way out already. Seriously, that's a really bad sign.

bmw2ner
06-17-2006, 11:11 AM
retime the valves?

dgmorr
06-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, according to the mechanic, the rocker just 'fell off'. Now I'm not clear on the build up of BMW motors....but how in the hell does that happen? A retaining nut work it's way off?

Bandi
06-19-2006, 12:31 AM
I passed a Mustang in my '72 2002 once, maybe revved her a LITTLE high, and one of the rocker arm adjusters actually flipped itself over, I thought I blew the thing up. a 10 minute adjustment and it was fine.

Axxe
06-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Well, according to the mechanic, the rocker just 'fell off'. Now I'm not clear on the build up of BMW motors....but how in the hell does that happen? A retaining nut work it's way off?

It probably broke. Rockers don't fall off.

dgmorr
07-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Ok, so I was doing some stupid 'drifting' when it was raining in the sun yesteday. Over revved a teeny bit and got the ticking back.

This time it was my fault and had no one to cover the mechanic bill, so I took off the valve cover to see what went wrong. I found that two rocker retainers came unseated which allowed the rocker to slide front and rear (relation to car front end) which caused the ticking. Why are these such crappy clips, and why did they pop off? Should I get a new set? I'll post pics in a bit.

dgmorr
07-01-2006, 12:49 PM
here we go

everlast
07-02-2006, 12:35 AM
I think its a good idea to try and not do that.

*angel*

nismoMan
07-02-2006, 12:43 AM
I have a 325i engine for sale, $300...all you need is the oil pan and intake, which you should have since you have the "I" head....
i will buy that motor right now!! pm me you paypal email and pm the condition and deal with the motor, im trying to piece together my motor (eta bottom with i head) thanks man

Dr. Flyview
07-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Time to stop revving my baby. I thought if you had a limiter you were safe (even though I've never hit the limiter, I just went to maybe 6k)

dgmorr
07-02-2006, 04:37 AM
I have the stock eta tach, so I'm not quite sure what it hit. Tach only shows up to 6k, but it went beyond. I'm running the 325i computer, what is the fuel cut?

Mystikal
07-02-2006, 10:51 PM

dgmorr
07-03-2006, 12:49 AM
I think its a good idea to try and not do that.

*angel*

Oh, it was accidental *wiggle*

Any idea why the retainers would pop off like that?