PDA

View Full Version : Central Locks

dgmorr
06-13-2006, 03:22 AM
I'm still an E30 n00b. Just got it last week. Can someone please explain how the central locking works? It seems somewhat tempermental to me.

I can lock/unlock from the driver door fine, but the passenger door is the one that gives me trouble. I find sometimes I can open it and sometimes I can't even turn the key. I thought it would depend on what position the trunk lock was positioned in when the key is last removed, but I can't find a reliable pattern. Am I just going crazy?

BMW325BMW
06-13-2006, 09:30 PM
is it a factory BMW key or a cheap mall cut key? If it's a mall cut key, sometimes it depends which way the key is faced. Even though it is supposed to be identical, sometimes it will open easier with one side. That is how it was for me anyways.

dgmorr
06-13-2006, 09:46 PM
As far as I know it's a BMW cut key (it has a BMW logo, and looks pretty old skool). I'm about to give up on chivalry if I can't figure it out, maybe it's time to get keyless entry.

BMW325BMW
06-13-2006, 09:48 PM
doesnt the central locking have to be in perfect working inorder for the keyless entry to work?

dgmorr
06-13-2006, 09:51 PM
doesnt the central locking have to be in perfect working inorder for the keyless entry to work?

For some reason (may it be wear?) the key works flawlessly from my driver door and trunk, and just randomly on the passenger door. As far as I know, the electronics of the system are fine.

woofster
06-13-2006, 11:53 PM
is it a factory BMW key or a cheap mall cut key? If it's a mall cut key, sometimes it depends which way the key is faced. Even though it is supposed to be identical, sometimes it will open easier with one side. That is how it was for me anyways.

Funny you mention this. I thought my duplicate key was the only one like that.

BMW325BMW
06-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Funny you mention this. I thought my duplicate key was the only one like that.

haha!! it's good to know i'm not the only one with this problem

sicilianace
06-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Bro, from driver side, when the master key is turned to the right and back, then the doors are locked and can be opened from either side but if the key is turned to the right and pulled vertically, the doors lock but only driver side can be opened.........

The passenger side didnt operate the same way ,but u can lock the doors .

ara325
06-14-2006, 08:31 PM
yes, except do you mean "turned to the right and pulled horizontally".

hey dgmorr, really the central locking system is pointless. Don't even bother with it b/c with a 15 year old car you might just be asking for trouble. Click once about 1/4 turn right and you're good to go.

Keyless entry rocks!

dgmorr
06-15-2006, 12:31 AM
yes, except do you mean "turned to the right and pulled horizontally".

hey dgmorr, really the central locking system is pointless. Don't even bother with it b/c with a 15 year old car you might just be asking for trouble. Click once about 1/4 turn right and you're good to go.

Keyless entry rocks!

What do you mean don't bother with it? It seems like the locks are totally operated by the solenoids.

I'll give this turn right and pull the key out like the above poster mentioned.

ara325
06-15-2006, 10:59 AM
What do you mean don't bother with it? It seems like the locks are totally operated by the solenoids.

I'll give this turn right and pull the key out like the above poster mentioned.

All i'm saying is that (from friend's experience) your central locking system could lock you out. Just trying to give you a tip. Good luck*th-up*

Wannabe
06-15-2006, 12:40 PM
how much would keyless cost?

ara325
06-15-2006, 01:42 PM
^^it cost me an extra $60 or sumpin' when i installed my alarm.

dgmorr
06-15-2006, 03:03 PM
All i'm saying is that (from friend's experience) your central locking system could lock you out. Just trying to give you a tip. Good luck*th-up*

I understand that, but since my doors are all using the central locking system, how do I bypass it?

A keyless entry system was $25 for 2 doors at princess auto (cheapest I've ever seen). I installed this on my friend's car and it was pretty decent.

ara325
06-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I understand that, but since my doors are all using the central locking system, how do I bypass it?

You don't technically bypass it, you just don't activate it by turning the key all the way (horizontal) to the right. One click is normal lock, 2nd click is central lock.

dgmorr
06-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Hmm, must be different for me, or from wear and tear, but I only have one click.

Ok, I give up on unlocking the passenger door first, it just won't happen.

NOTORIOUS VR
06-16-2006, 04:10 AM
Okay, I just need to clear something up here...

Do you know about the deadbolt feature in BMW's?

on E30's, when u'r locking the car from the drivers door using u'r key... turning the lock to the right will lock the car, correct? well if u've noticed, if u keep turning so the lock looks like this ------ and u can pull the key out, you're actually activating ANOTHER feature of the locking system. The deaddolt feature.

With the driver's door lock in that position, you willl not be able to unlock any of the doors, untill u bring the lock back to the:

|
|
|
|

position... not even by pulling on u'r door pins (u can try it by leaving u'r window down.

So, what you need to do is, when u'r locking the car, turn the key just enough to the right for the central locking system to lock the car, and then return the door lock to the

|
|
|
|

position. You should then be able to unlock the car from the passenger side as well. If not, or it's still acting up on u, or if this is what you've been doing all along, theres something wrong with the switch in the passenger door, or a fault in the wiring coming from the passenger door.

If you decide to add an alarm so that u can remotly activate u'r central locking, make sure u don't put the deadbolt feature on. And the wires for the central locking are behind the drivers side kick panel.

dgmorr
06-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks Notorious! That pretty much cleared everything up. I guess I have something faulty in the passenger door lock. I have only been able to unlock it from there a handful of times.

How does the trunk lock work? Sometimes I need a key to open it, sometimes I can just push the button in. I can't seem to figure out a set pattern with it either.

ara325
06-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks Notorious! That pretty much cleared everything up. I guess I have something faulty in the passenger door lock. I have only been able to unlock it from there a handful of times.

How does the trunk lock work? Sometimes I need a key to open it, sometimes I can just push the button in. I can't seem to figure out a set pattern with it either.

Holy n00b, are you serious?...j/k. When your doors are locked, you need the key for the trunk. If the doors are unlocked, then all you need to do is push the button.

dgmorr
06-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Holy n00b, are you serious?...j/k. When your doors are locked, you need the key for the trunk. If the doors are unlocked, then all you need to do is push the button.

haha, yes, I am serious. Come on, I come from Honda. No Honda is near as complicated as the Bimmer.

Ok, so doors unlocked, I can just push the trunk button from any position it's in?

woofster
06-17-2006, 02:33 PM
^ Well, not exactly. Naturally, the trunk lock cylinder must be in the unlocked position. IIRC, the unlocked key slot position is horizontal.

ara325
06-17-2006, 03:55 PM
^ Well, not exactly. Naturally, the trunk lock cylinder must be in the unlocked position. IIRC, the unlocked key slot position is horizontal.

true, i'm just so used to keyless that i forgot about that.

woofster/dgmorr - Have your Honda's been as reliable as their reputation suggests? All the Honda owners i've know have never really had any major problems with their cars.

dgmorr
06-17-2006, 09:11 PM

woofster/dgmorr - Have your Honda's been as reliable as their reputation suggests? All the Honda owners i've know have never really had any major problems with their cars.

Yes, all my Hondas are pretty much as reliable as rocks. Just keep the oil and gas topped up and you're good for a long long time.

When it comes to things with my BMW I get a little weary. I feel like a total n00b again. I guess it's because I've also done nothing to this car. I've had my Civics in pieces and back together. I can't wait for that to start with the bimmer....or can I? :(

Just how reliable are the 325e blocks with an i head anyway? Just got over my first hurdle of a broken rocker arm.

woofster
06-18-2006, 02:35 AM

With my Civic, you just fill it up and go. Routine maintenance is pretty easy as well. The car is solid and I'm completely satisfied with it as a daily driver. The less money & time I have to spend on it, the more money & time I can spend on my E30 project. :cool:

ara325
06-18-2006, 03:13 PM
^^thanks guys*th-up*

dgmorr- no worries bud, everyone was a noob at one point or another...i forget that sometimes.*thmbsdwn*ma bad*uzi*

Once you get the "hook" you won't want to stop modding the bimmer:D

woofster - perfect combo