PDA

View Full Version : S52 Conversion

the turtle2
06-11-2006, 04:15 AM
I am planning on doing an S52 swap in an E30 M3...does anyone know of a good link with a write up...Also what is needed? I plan on using stand alone, so no obd1 conversion for me...

NickP
06-11-2006, 02:51 PM
I am planning on doing an S52 swap in an E30 M3...does anyone know of a good link with a write up...Also what is needed? I plan on using stand alone, so no obd1 conversion for me...

Just curious as to why you would go standalone vs OBD1? Switching to OBD1 is a pretty simple process and is well documented.

The major parts you'll need to bolt it on will be a 5 series m50 oil pan and pickup and an e30 325ix booster MC or equivalent (some 735, 740, 540 etc.)
Search for a couple posts on the swap

Jordan
06-11-2006, 02:57 PM
There is also no reason to go standalone just not to convert to OBDI. Its not hard to bypass the EWS and just keep the engine OBDII if you are lazy and don't want the added power.

static
06-11-2006, 03:58 PM
go to r3vlimited, M50/S50 swaps subforums

M50/S50 intake manifold will give you more power at higher rpm, also OBD1 TB is less restrictive.

NOTORIOUS VR
06-13-2006, 02:38 AM
The reason for standalone is simple... you can get rid of all the stupid factory wiring, for a much simpler and cleaner install.

Plus you can tune the engine for anything you may do to it, be it boost or an NA build.

NickP
06-13-2006, 09:33 AM
The reason for standalone is simple... you can get rid of all the stupid factory wiring, for a much simpler and cleaner install.

Plus you can tune the engine for anything you may do to it, be it boost or an NA build.
OBD1 does all that though - and its alot easier.

NOTORIOUS VR
06-13-2006, 01:49 PM
OBD1 does all that though - and its alot easier.

You can't tune an OBD1 computer yourself tho...

So if you're already spending the money on a conversion, you mind as well just go with a standalone system, and be rid of all the restrictions compleatly *th-up*

Jordan
06-13-2006, 01:59 PM
OK WHAT EVER YOU SAY.

Since you already know everything, why don't you not come here. We don't seem to know anything more then you.

NOTORIOUS VR
06-13-2006, 02:38 PM
OK WHAT EVER YOU SAY.

Since you already know everything, why don't you not come here. We don't seem to know anything more then you.

i'm sorry, you deny the fact that you can't tune a stock ECU u'rself? is that why you have a Unichip or whatever in u'r car?

the turtle2
06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
True...why would I go obd1 and then go also pay markd or someone else to chip it...And then if I buy cams or change my setup, have to go again and pay again to retune it...Going standalone makes life so much easier...

Jordan
06-14-2006, 06:17 PM
MarkD can disable EWS with ease and you can just leave it damn engine OBDII.

the turtle2
06-15-2006, 06:16 PM
yes but its much cheaper going stand alone in the long run...

Jordan
06-15-2006, 07:55 PM
no it isnt

NOTORIOUS VR
06-15-2006, 08:16 PM
no it isnt

hey dumb ass... even if it's not cheaper, you have advantages going standalone right from the begining.

u have to pay for the OBD I conversion items... right? right...

when u could buy a VEMS system, and be done with it.. and have the ability to tune it whenever YOU want, and it's much better then stock management.

If you change u'r setup, u either re-tune on the street or jump on the dyno.... on stock management, you'd have to go back to someone who can tune the ecu for u, over and over again.

if u go boost, guess what? u get to chuck that stupid stock MAF and use a proper MAP sensor, and properly be able to tune the car.

it's a win/win situation with standalone. if u want to keep the motor stock, then yes, stock management would be simpler.

Jordan
06-15-2006, 08:19 PM
VEMS is kaka.

everlast
06-15-2006, 08:39 PM
VEMS is kaka.

Why do you even bother to contribute such garbage? The guy has a valid point. I'd almost swear that a 13 year old takes over your account on occasion.

Jordan
06-15-2006, 08:46 PM
VEMS is a VERY poor choice. I'd rather have OBDII Motronic. Hell, I'm going to shortly :)

NOTORIOUS VR
06-16-2006, 01:23 AM
VEMS is a VERY poor choice. I'd rather have OBDII Motronic. Hell, I'm going to shortly :)

You're such a clown...

how is it a poor choice... have you ever worked on a VEMS car? have you even held a VEMS unit? Have you even ever seen a car running on VEMS?

VEMS is a great unit... I just finished installing it on my buddies VR6 turbo...

Multiple trigger types, fully sequential injection for up to 8 cyl, up to 8 cyl COP ignition.... totally configurable for outputs, full IAC support, dual knock sensing, dual wideband on board, dual EGT, Anti-lag, traction control, 2 step rev limiter, can be configured to use ANY type of sensor/trigger combo, external LCD, full datalogging, and that's just the beginning....

how can you say it's a poor choice... please tell me with all of your wisdom and with u'r PERSONAL experience with it as to why it's a poor choice. :huh?: