PDA

View Full Version : HELP!: my 86 325 hood wont open!

twofast4u
06-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi guys,

I've never expierienced this with any car, but my hood on my 1986 325 wont open, i stored it for the winter, then when i took it out it starts and runs fine or so it sounds, but i cant open the hood. When i pull the lever i hear something going on under the hood butdont know exactly where the latch is or anything, if anyone has any suggesstions please let me know!

Thanks for your help!

everlast
06-10-2006, 03:35 PM
No probs usually.. likely a busted cable or something is seized.

You can stick a long straight screwdriver in to the left of the drivers highbeam in a little hole that will trigger the latch and open the hood. It is difficult to describe, but just have at it, you'll get it open.

After you open the hood, remove the shroud behind the headlights on the driver's side, remove the grill on the drivers side, then unbolt the latch from the front and pull it out and have a look at it.

twofast4u
06-10-2006, 05:20 PM
:) No probs usually.. likely a busted cable or something is seized.

You can stick a long straight screwdriver in to the left of the drivers highbeam in a little hole that will trigger the latch and open the hood. It is difficult to describe, but just have at it, you'll get it open.

After you open the hood, remove the shroud behind the headlights on the driver's side, remove the grill on the drivers side, then unbolt the latch from the front and pull it out and have a look at it.

Is there something in that area i have to push, also what kind of screw driver do u reccomend?

Thanks for your help man!:)

BMW325BMW
06-10-2006, 07:12 PM
just use a long screwdriver... i personally use a flat, but either a flat or philips works... on the grill, look through it on the drivers side beside the high beam and there will be a box. on the box are 2 bolts and a whole with a gap in it. that is where you put the screwdriver... a twisting motion usually works. hope this helps

twofast4u
06-10-2006, 08:27 PM
just use a long screwdriver... i personally use a flat, but either a flat or philips works... on the grill, look through it on the drivers side beside the high beam and there will be a box. on the box are 2 bolts and a whole with a gap in it. that is where you put the screwdriver... a twisting motion usually works. hope this helps

Thanks man!!! i got it open!!!!*th-up*

everlast
06-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Good stuff! Did you find out why it didn't open to begin with?

twofast4u
06-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Good stuff! Did you find out why it didn't open to begin with?
yea i took it apart today and the latch was siezed so the hood wouldnt even close. so I took it apart and cleaned up now it works like new! Thanks guys for all your help!