View Full Version : Taxes when buying out of province

06-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Did anyone here buy a car from Quebec? I've been looking for a project car and found a few there, since it's a project I don't really care about mileage/engine/tranny condition.

I called MTO in ON and Quebec but they all seem to point me to others and don't really know anything for sure.

Here's what I was told so far:

If I was to buy car in Quebec from an individual, I need them to go with me to MTO there to transfer the car, or they can sign proxy form authorizing me to do it. Then I pay 7.5% tax and get new ownership, in my name.

This is where it got complicated and I got different answers. In Quebec they tell me I'll still need to pay 8% PST in ON, BUT I should get taxes I paid in Quebec back. In ON few MTO offices had no idea how it's done, and then one told me that I don't pay any atx here, since I already have ownership in my name. They said all I need is to bring in safety, emission, and bill of sale, to get new ONT ownership.
Can I just drive to ON and then transfer the car in my name here? The only reason I ahve to do it in Quebec is to get temp plates, but they said that here in ON I only need original ownershipo and bill of sale to transfer the car, no BS with that proxy form/seller coming in with me.

Now, what about if I buy from a dealer there? Do I pay 15% tax there (or whatever the rate is)?

It gets so annoying to call MTO and then every person tells you different thing, as if they put people from a street to work there..

06-02-2006, 12:35 PM
I just transferred a vehicle from QC, as did my friend.

Same as a normal transaction - you need a bill of sale and ownership. You pay 8% tax as normal (private transactions)

As for plates - put the plates on from your existing vehicle they are good for 6 days, and your insurance is good for 10 or 15 one new vehicle purchases.


06-02-2006, 12:37 PM
that is correct :)

06-02-2006, 12:38 PM
See I wanted to do that, but when I got this car (in ON) they told me at MTO that I cannot put my plates on new car, that it would be against HTA (unauthorized plates).

Plus I need these plates to go to Quebec with my car, then my wife would drive it back while I drive new car.

Any way to get temp plates here for Quebec?

Either way, as long as I bring the car here, I only need ownership and bill of sale (plus safety and emission) to transfer it in my name, and that's it?

Since you did this, what did you use to check for leans and odometer readings? Carfax..? AFAIK UVIP is usless in this case?

PS. You paid tax/transferred ownership in Ontario?

06-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Just tried calling MTO again, they are so ******* useless!

06-02-2006, 07:21 PM
I can see your situation with the plates being a bit tricky, not wanting to get stopped by the QC police and raped for wrong plates.

My friend just became a cop and he told me that putting your old plate on is legal for 6 days, as long as its a new replacement vehicle. Now in QC? who knows.

I would suggest asking the seller to loan you their plates for the trip home, then Xpressposting them back.

or depending how far in QC it is from Ontario, just drive to ottawa / cornwall and get a 10day permit there if you are worried and drive back to get your car.

or... If you had a 'proxy' inspect the car in QC you could EMT or transfer the $$$ and then get them to mail you the ownership and papers to your place in kitchener. and you could obtain said Permit that way.

food for thought :P

*edit* regarding Liens Thats your call on that one. The seller told me there was a lien on the vehicle and I got a statement from the bank saying it had been paid off. I believe there is a database for searching liens on QC cars - google it.

06-03-2006, 11:25 AM
It's in Montreal so I guess I could just go there, get the car, park it and then go to Ottawa to get temp permit.

You mention how to look for liens, and I fouind a few more places that claim they can check that, but anything for mileage?