PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Grinding noise at Low Rpms

Chris de la Cruz
06-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Noticed it today while driving. When I start off at 500 then move up to about 1500 rpm there is this sort of grinding noise that comes up. Sounds like it is coming from the rear end. My idle is fine. Anyone have any idea it maybe? I have an auto tranny... could that be it? it also happens when i rev the engine in neutral.. but not in park.

Driving Conditions:
past two weeks i've been driving pretty tame but opened it up a little bit once in a while. Another thing i should note is that, I used the AC for the first time in like 2 years last night. The last time i beat the shit of the car was on monday :D.

any help would be great.

Thanks

Chris

e30_kid89
06-01-2006, 08:43 PM
might be the slushbox startin to go.......word has it the auto boxes were no good and uber shitty..

BMWags
06-02-2006, 10:28 PM
cat converter?....i had a similar issue....sounded like pebbles in a coffe can

Chris de la Cruz
06-03-2006, 12:03 AM
ok i think i may have found the problem... what me and my dad came up with is that, b/c my a/c wasn't used for a while the clutch for it ceased and just needs to be lubricated?

T.Dot_E30
06-03-2006, 12:19 AM
does it go away with the a/c off thou?

I dont understand how it would come from your rear end :confused:

I'd have to hear it in person to be able to tell.

dueceman
06-03-2006, 12:21 AM
how do you lubricate that clutch..etc..location all that crap

propr'one
06-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Chris i think i got the same problem. My car sounded like shit at idle, turned the a/c off now it works fine. A/C still works, just makes noise. Lemme know how your fix goes

Chris de la Cruz
06-03-2006, 10:19 AM
i know i haven't lost any power... no from a more closer look it sounds like its coming from the belts. sorry... i thought it was coming from the rear b/c it sounds like it inside the car

Jordan
06-03-2006, 12:14 PM
There is no means by which to "lubricate" the clutch.

Its a non servicable item. You may or may not be able to buy a new clutch seperately. Some compressors still have this available to them, but most do not.

Chris de la Cruz
06-03-2006, 12:33 PM
ok thanks to for the info jordon.. i guess the compressor's fubar'd then

dueceman
06-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Jordan what exactly does the A/C clutch do..?
i was asking before about my A/C being warm at idle but ice cold when on the highway for a few minutes.. is there something that would cause it to get too hot at idle and shut off? pressure switch or something..actually had the auxilliary fan set so that it is always on high..doesn't go to the low speed setting so its not lack of fan running

T.Dot_E30
06-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Jordan what exactly does the A/C clutch do..?

It engages the compressor to start turning, with the compressor clutch disengaged and the compressor not....compressing, there less strain on the engine.

As to your a/c being warm when stopped, its bcus not enough air is going thru the condensor, bcus of the old design of our a/c it is only effificent using the old r12 gas, when converted to r134a, our systems do not build enough pressure that the r134a likes to operate at its peak efficiency.

I find this also applies when using using an r12 replacements too...which im happy with, bcus i only use my a/c on the highway anyways. But in traffic it is annoying......

Jordan
06-03-2006, 03:36 PM
The clutch is electromagnetic.

When you press the snowflake button the clutch is sent 12v+ and it locks.

dueceman
06-03-2006, 03:54 PM
i posted a thread a while back and everyone acted like i was the only one on the planet who's a/c wasnt cold in traffic jams.. maybe i should ask this question
after a nice hot humid weekend in toronto..

you got A/C in yours jordan??

Jordan
06-03-2006, 04:47 PM
No. I've removed every last component, wiring inclusive.

dueceman
06-03-2006, 06:58 PM
seen any e30's in your area in texas that are rust free that i could buy?

Jordan
06-03-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm sure none have rust. Nothing here does.

Plenty for sale.. but I'm not in the market so I'm not looking.

Chris de la Cruz
06-26-2006, 07:01 PM
wow... found out the cause was worse than i thought.

the tensioner of the timing belt was shot so the belt was rubbing on the cover.