PDA

View Full Version : 1991 318is with m5 motor $30.000

bcupic
06-01-2006, 01:16 PM
in autotrader.ca there is 1991 318is for sale with m5 motor price $30.000 maybe someone can post pics for other people.:confused:

Woofer
06-01-2006, 02:36 PM
i just saw the car on the trader.....that's raffa's car. I can't believe he is selling it. That car is worth every penny. Full custom work have been done to tthat car by a great mechanic. Sad to see such a car go for sale. I hope it gets into the right hands. That car pulls like a mofo and has the brakes to stop it. If you are interested at all in purchasing this car don't hesitate. Good luck with the sale raffa.

Alan

JazzM
06-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Good luck with the sale. Eager to hear what he gets for it.

T.

Soldo
06-01-2006, 04:05 PM
If this is the Red one, i saw this car in person just yesterday. It is absolutely FLAWLESS!

kobim3r
06-01-2006, 04:45 PM
whoa he is dreaming, hell get $12k tops I'd say and even that will take some time to find the right buyer

30k? M5's don't go for much more these days

erikIS
06-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Ya, id rather add another few gs and get a 2000+ m5 :p

2slow2race
06-01-2006, 07:14 PM
anybody got pics or links of this car?*wave*

razor/m5
06-01-2006, 07:18 PM
30.000 for a 91 318is - what kind of cheap crack is this guy smoking:confused: :confused:

Axxe
06-02-2006, 01:59 AM
30.000 for a 91 318is - what kind of cheap crack is this guy smoking:confused: :confused:

You can't say shit until you have seen the car.

1BADRIDE
06-02-2006, 07:22 AM
It doesn't matter WHAT the car looks like.

It's a $3000 car with a $6000 drivetrain in it.

Still a sweet machine though!

razor/m5
06-02-2006, 07:29 AM
You can't say shit until you have seen the car.

WRONG - I can say WHATEVER I want, its my opinion

Axxe
06-02-2006, 08:32 AM
It doesn't matter WHAT the car looks like.

It's a $3000 car with a $6000 drivetrain in it.

Still a sweet machine though!

There is a lot more to it than that. Price out a rebuild on a S38, and while you're at it, price out every new piece that can be replaced around it.

Axxe
06-02-2006, 08:33 AM
WRONG - I can say WHATEVER I want, its my opinion

Ahhh shit, I just ate my last cookie. Maybe I'll give you one next time I make a batch.

razor/m5
06-02-2006, 08:43 AM
whatever :moon: :moon:

cisco911
06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
My buddy has a E30 2dr with an M5 engine(eurospec). Its definately not an easy mod and took him alot of time and money. He did a complete rebuild at my engine guy(new light weight wieght pistons/rods, head was already ported, new valves, etc) $10k+ just for that right there. His has full M suspension, with an M coupe rear end and 540 brakes I believe. it is crazy fast with close to 400hp at the crank!! He also did a racing computer and rewired the whole thing and had it tuned. Its a crazy car!!! He ran 11 at cayuga last summer with 2 12s in the back pumping the beats all the way down the quarter!!! lets see you do that in an E39 M5 ;)

The only problem with selling a car like this is finding someone that wants a car this modified and that is willing to pay for it!!! However, knowing the technology and time that went into a ride like this, I can definately say it is worth the money!

Suprano
06-02-2006, 01:14 PM
It's virtually impossible to sell something like this and expect to even make half of your money back. This is why people are right in saying that cars are poor investments. I agree that the car might be flawless and pull hard..........but 30 g's ......LOL. Go pick up an MK$ Supra stateside for less than that.

30k for an e30=never..............

1BADRIDE
06-02-2006, 06:21 PM
There is a lot more to it than that. Price out a rebuild on a S38, and while you're at it, price out every new piece that can be replaced around it.

If I throw $50,000 of stuff into a mint condition 1991 Skoda, think I can get $30,000 for it?

It still doesn't change the fact that it is one SWEET MACHINE that I would love to have... just not at that price.

*th-up*

rodo
06-02-2006, 07:27 PM
My buddy has a E30 2dr with an M5 engine(eurospec). Its definately not an easy mod and took him alot of time and money. He did a complete rebuild at my engine guy(new light weight wieght pistons/rods, head was already ported, new valves, etc) $10k+ just for that right there. His has full M suspension, with an M coupe rear end and 540 brakes I believe. it is crazy fast with close to 400hp at the crank!! He also did a racing computer and rewired the whole thing and had it tuned. Its a crazy car!!! He ran 11 at cayuga last summer with 2 12s in the back pumping the beats all the way down the quarter!!! lets see you do that in an E39 M5 ;)

The only problem with selling a car like this is finding someone that wants a car this modified and that is willing to pay for it!!! However, knowing the technology and time that went into a ride like this, I can definately say it is worth the money!

so you're comparing it to an e39 M5? Ok.... i guarantee almost everyone here will choose the M5, the e30 will always be an e30, and the M5 will always be an M5*wave*

330ci05
06-02-2006, 07:58 PM
i wonder howmany people have called to ask if there is a mistake on the price lol

sound like a good car and all but still wouldn't spend 30g's ....... only if i'm RICH and have money coming out of my A$$ :P

BMWags
06-02-2006, 09:33 PM
30k for an e30=never..............

agreed, that Roberto dude only paid $20000 for his apparently :D:D:D

calegrant
06-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Just because he put bucketloads of money into it doesn't mean it's a 30k car. A flawless car is only that, flawless. He better have some seats that give massages and a happy ending for me to drop that kind of money into a non M e36 with loads of upgrades.

bmwm5lover
06-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I think it is an amazing car built incredible well with no expense spared. It's fast, it looks good, and it was built right. Having said that, it's worth, IMO, realisticly, about 15 000. Then again, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

NickP
06-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Then again, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

This is probably where this thread is best left at.

Justin e36
06-04-2006, 02:46 AM
This car is worth every penny. As someone stated, don't bash it till you've seen it. I don't care much for e30's.. the m3's don't really do much for me. This is the first and only e30 that has actually made my jaw drop. I've seen it on a hoist, and it looks like it rolled off the assembly line with a S38 from the factory. Incredible E30 for any true enthusiast.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40845

Here is Raffa's for sale thread: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72180

saix
06-04-2006, 02:56 AM
So if cars keep a certain price, why the hell do show cars go for so much more?

Axxe
06-04-2006, 04:55 PM
If I throw $50,000 of stuff into a mint condition 1991 Skoda, think I can get $30,000 for it?

It still doesn't change the fact that it is one SWEET MACHINE that I would love to have... just not at that price.

*th-up*

Yeah, but Skoda = crap :D

Just because he put bucketloads of money into it doesn't mean it's a 30k car. A flawless car is only that, flawless. He better have some seats that give massages and a happy ending for me to drop that kind of money into a non M e36 with loads of upgrades.

You, are an idiot.

This car is worth every penny. As someone stated, don't bash it till you've seen it. I don't care much for e30's.. the m3's don't really do much for me. This is the first and only e30 that has actually made my jaw drop. I've seen it on a hoist, and it looks like it rolled off the assembly line with a S38 from the factory. Incredible E30 for any true enthusiast.

Here is Raffa's for sale thread: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72180

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it on a hoist at Raffa's shop. I was simply speechless. The car looks brand new.

BigD
06-05-2006, 03:27 AM

It's still a bone stock E30 with a $5000US drivetrain and some coilovers. For 30k you can get an S38B38 (I can find one for about 7-8k), bore it out to 4 liters, custom cams, it will make 400hp easy AND have it installed at Bimmersport, Motex or MGM (including a full rebuild of the engine, well with Markus it could be a stretch).

Seriously, c'mon, 30 grand? The M5 engine is nice but there are enough of them out there that they're not that expensive. For 30k you can get an E39 M5. I don't care how nice the E30 is, I'd take the E39 anytime of the day and twice on Sunday. Raffa might do good work but he doesn't seem to know exactly what things are worth. I still remember when I was doing up the springs and shocks on my M5 and he wanted to sell me the used front Bilstein struts off the M5 suspension he had for more than I could get all 4 new, and after I said no told people behind my back that I'm cheap.

Justin e36
06-05-2006, 03:39 AM
Yup, seriously, 30 grand.

BigD
06-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Yup, seriously, 30 grand.

*th-up*

BMWags
06-05-2006, 03:49 AM
it looks like an amazing car, but im gonna go with BigD on this one, 30 g's is pretty stupdly high, however ppl will pay what they want

......to me the only e30 worth close to 30 grand is the bubble m3

Woofer
06-05-2006, 10:19 AM
like mentioned by many already this car is for someone who understands the work put into it. Most of the car is fully custom. I have friend with a similar car, 325is with m3 factory fenders m5 motor with custom brakes and suspension. All hand crafted. He was looking for the same price. 25, 000 to 30, 000.

Best of luck on the sale raffa and im sure you will get a deserving price for that car.

cisco911
06-05-2006, 10:40 AM
like mentioned by many already this car is for someone who understands the work put into it. Most of the car is fully custom. I have friend with a similar car, 325is with m3 factory fenders m5 motor with custom brakes and suspension. All hand crafted. He was looking for the same price. 25, 000 to 30, 000.

Best of luck on the sale raffa and im sure you will get a deserving price for that car.

Hey Woofer, I think we are talking about the same guy...his name is Miguel...did all the work himself, except the paint. He works at a shop downtown that my dad worked for back in the day.

Woofer
06-05-2006, 12:15 PM
it might be the same guy but im pretty sure his name is mike. He does work in a hop on the west border of downtown. His car like raffa's are insane man. Crazy fast and look amazing. funny think is mike's car is the same color as raffa's

1BADRIDE
06-05-2006, 12:46 PM
How much power are these M5 engines putting out? Just to be clear... this is an M5 drivetrain from an E34, correct?

Woofer
06-05-2006, 02:01 PM
welli know my buddy's car is pulling about 12.5 on the 1/4 mile with just a stock motor. He's putting some other goodies in this summer hoping to break into the 11 seconds.

cisco911
06-05-2006, 02:26 PM
welli know my buddy's car is pulling about 12.5 on the 1/4 mile with just a stock motor. He's putting some other goodies in this summer hoping to break into the 11 seconds.

Yeah its the same guy....i know him from the shop...not too close....I remember seeing that car before he started and at the end. I thought he broke into the elevens last year with the new diff??? Unless he didn't end up dropping in the diff. The engine is stock except for the fact that it is all new inside and has lightweight pistons/rods and I think the head was already ported when he got the engine.

He woofer...your car looks familiar....did he do an engine swap on your car????

PS: LOL....I call him Miguel cuz the shirt he wears at work says Miguel...lol...he doesn't mind...

Quack
06-05-2006, 03:08 PM
How much power are these M5 engines putting out? Just to be clear... this is an M5 drivetrain from an E34, correct?

it depends if he has the 3.6L or 3.8L, I believe the 3.6L produce about 310hp & the 3.8L 340hp(guessing) but I think Raffa's car is pushing 380hp

BigD
06-05-2006, 03:31 PM
it depends if he has the 3.6L or 3.8L, I believe the 3.6L produce about 310hp & the 3.8L 340hp(guessing) but I think Raffa's car is pushing 380hp

What makes you say that? From what I saw it's just a stock 3.6, which means it probably makes less than 310hp. The guys that built my pistons said that with a 3.8 crank, my pistons, hotter cams and proper tuning, they see between 370 and 390 hp (anyone who's been in my old M5 can attest to it from the butt dyno, it stayed bumper to bumper with Rost's E39 M5 and walks Carrera 4's on the track). They race these engines and put them on engine dynos.

Quack
06-05-2006, 06:05 PM
that was what he told me last year, but he wasn't that sure himself at that time because the car wasn't dynoed

cisco911
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
What makes you say that? From what I saw it's just a stock 3.6, which means it probably makes less than 310hp. The guys that built my pistons said that with a 3.8 crank, my pistons, hotter cams and proper tuning, they see between 370 and 390 hp (anyone who's been in my old M5 can attest to it from the butt dyno, it stayed bumper to bumper with Rost's E39 M5 and walks Carrera 4's on the track). They race these engines and put them on engine dynos.

Exactly, so imagine that same 3.8 in an E30 2dr that weighs alot less than your M5....should be that much quicker....thats what makes this damn car(speaking about my buddy's not the one on autotrader cuz I don't know that car) worth so much...but as I said before...finding someone that is will to pay for that is gonna be tough.

lvan
06-05-2006, 08:43 PM
cisco you are not fair. Dude , E39 M5 is $110 000 car. Raffas e30 is nice but i would go with an M5.

If we were judding like that, then my yugo with A320 airbus engine would be the best car in the world. lol

rodo
06-05-2006, 09:30 PM
you can't just compare speed dude, for 30k for comparison's sake, lets assume that you can get: this M5 powered e30 or an e39 M5

Would you rather get a 15 year old e30, or a 6 year old M5? Would you rather get satellite navigation, or just a radio? You can't just compare speed, because for 30k im SURE SURE SURE SURE you can get way faster cars than this e30. Isn't there a white civic turbo in woodbridge that runs 12's? Im SURE that car isn't 30k and it might spank this e30.

Think of all the luxury you get in the e39 M5, let alone the fact that its an M, and the speed difference isn't the same as teh luxury and prestige difference.

Thats just my oppinion

BigD
06-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Exactly, so imagine that same 3.8 in an E30 2dr that weighs alot less than your M5....should be that much quicker....thats what makes this damn car(speaking about my buddy's not the one on autotrader cuz I don't know that car) worth so much...but as I said before...finding someone that is will to pay for that is gonna be tough.

Well for under 10 grand you can have a 11 second car in an average US muscle car (as Jay demonstrated). Worth does not go up linearly with speed. An S38 is a BIG, LONG, CAST IRON engine. It would make an itty bitty E30 handle like a Cavalier, plowing every corner. This is why a stock E30 M3 is worth more than any stock E30 with some huge lump. If you want to go drag racing, get a bubbleback Civic, put in a type R motor, some nos and you'll be in the 11s for under 10 grand, big deal. An E39 M5 is still an E39 M5 - a big, fast luxury car that handles incredibly and is only a few years old. As I said even the 3.8 isn't worth enough to justify that ridiculous price (which I don't know if your buddy even has, you just said "eurospec", which could just be a 3.6 out of a Euro).

I'm not saying the car will never sell for 30k, people have paid more for Tickle me elmos, nor am I saying who should charge what for what. But as far as what the realistic value is (not some subjective worth like rich people paying millions for some squigglies on a canvas), I don't see it being that high, regardless of how clean everything is. I know what the parts are worth and what the labor can be, I've been there. I'd guess the car would be appraised at around 10-15k. They will look up the market value of a clean 318 (dime a dozen), a basically stock S38, Getrag 260, diff and coilovers. Labor does not count and none of the above will receive what you think they are worth, but pure book value. If this was a rare car it would be a different matter - that's something you can't build on your own no matter how much you pay but if I can tell you if I wanted a car like this and I had 30,000 I would just have it done myself and have complete peace of mind.

Lee in Ottawa
06-05-2006, 11:14 PM
What makes you say that? From what I saw it's just a stock 3.6, which means it probably makes less than 310hp. The guys that built my pistons said that with a 3.8 crank, my pistons, hotter cams and proper tuning, they see between 370 and 390 hp (anyone who's been in my old M5 can attest to it from the butt dyno, it stayed bumper to bumper with Rost's E39 M5 and walks Carrera 4's on the track). They race these engines and put them on engine dynos.3

I can attest, Got my buddy Mike hooked on e34's, next thing I know Big D's M5 is in his driveway. Driven it a bunch of times, can't imagine what a motor like that would feel like in a e30. I do know that 30g's is a little ridiculous in my books, but hey why not give it a shot and see if anybody out there is willing to bite. I've seen crazier things happen.

cisco911
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey now..watch yourself Rodo/BigD....I never said that I would pic this E30 over an E39 M5. I like the E30, but like you said, an M5 is an M5. If you said put it up against an E34 M5, then it would be more of a toss up. All I am saying is that we have to appreciate what this modification is. This is not a simple drop in application a la 1988 civic with B18c. That civic is worth what the engine is worth. This car(my buddy's) is brand new from bumper to bumper with upgraded everything from suspension to brakes to handle the power and weight. Everything was done professionally taking everything into consideration, not just speed and power. As for the comment about this car being front heavy because of the engine...my buddy took that into consideration when dropping in the engine and had the car weighed and it is not nose heavy at all.

With all the parts that went into my friend's build, if he was to strip down the car and sell the parts I would not be surprised if he got 25k to 30k for all the parts and the body. However, stripping down all that hard work would be such a shame.

I'm not saying this is better than that, etc...there will always be something faster, cooler, etc. All I am saying is that we need to appreciate the work for what it is and this is definately one hell of a project. The price, well that is a problem between him and the buyer...not us.

Woofer
06-06-2006, 12:17 PM
^^^ well said. This thread should be left at that. Porblem between the seller and the buyer. besides max is full of low ballers hehehe! jks jks

BigD
06-06-2006, 12:19 PM
As for the comment about this car being front heavy because of the engine...my buddy took that into consideration when dropping in the engine and had the car weighed and it is not nose heavy at all.

Took into consideration? The S38 weighs 50% more than an M20, and the weight is all over or infront of the front axel. What did he do cut the trunk off?

All I am saying is that we need to appreciate the work for what it is and this is definately one hell of a project. The price, well that is a problem between him and the buyer...not us.

And that's all we've been telling you. No one here claims that this car or Raffa's is not amazing work. But putting dollar value in a market with cars like the E39 M5 needs more consideration than just thumbs up factor.

cisco911
06-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Took into consideration? The S38 weighs 50% more than an M20, and the weight is all over or infront of the front axel. What did he do cut the trunk off?

Your right...if the engine was placed where you think it is. However, on mike's car its not...the engine was shifted back(don't ask me how much cuz I don't know) putting engine weight more to the centre of the car. Hence balancing the weight...atleast balancing it as much as can possiblybe done. This is what me and Woofer are talking about...this car is completely custom...can't speak for raffa's car.

Woofer...have you been in a ride in mikes car? if so you can attest to how it handles.

lvan
06-06-2006, 02:48 PM
you can't just compare speed dude, for 30k for comparison's sake, lets assume that you can get: this M5 powered e30 or an e39 M5

Would you rather get a 15 year old e30, or a 6 year old M5? Would you rather get satellite navigation, or just a radio? You can't just compare speed, because for 30k im SURE SURE SURE SURE you can get way faster cars than this e30. Isn't there a white civic turbo in woodbridge that runs 12's? Im SURE that car isn't 30k and it might spank this e30.

Think of all the luxury you get in the e39 M5, let alone the fact that its an M, and the speed difference isn't the same as teh luxury and prestige difference.

Thats just my oppinion

It can also mean life or death if in accident, because E39 was built like a tank.

I remember when jeremy was selling his E30 for 20K or something. He sold engine for $6500 and collected few bucks from the left over parts. People were lowballing that he wanted to toss away some parts. Not to mention hassle to sell the M3 motor.