PDA

View Full Version : Best way to shift?

Dr. Flyview
06-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Hey,

I'm getting an e36 TOMORROW :D :D I'll post pics when I have time to take them. It's nothing special and in no great shape, but for $3900, it'll do as my first car :D

Ok so I'm new to manual. I've driven manual ONCE before in Romania. Please post any advice you have about shifting that may save me a clutch/tranny replacement in the future.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to press the gas a bit before releasing the clutch OTHER THAN in first gear.

Thanks,

Flaviu

bmwm5lover
06-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Use your hand to shift.

Justin e36
06-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Congratulations Flaviu. If you want an in-car tutorial feel free to ask, I'm sure one if not a few members would be willing to teach you.

propr'one
06-01-2006, 01:09 AM
What part of toronto do you live in? I'm no expert, but i drive stick on my daily, and if you live near me i can give you some pointers

here's a better idea:

Shifters.ca

131 bloor st. west, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1R8
416 921 7845

Ask for Carlos Tomas (have him teach you, ask for him by name, he's the owner)

best investment IMO

Dr. Flyview
06-01-2006, 01:12 AM
What part of toronto do you live in? I'm no expert, but i drive stick on my daily, and if you live near me i can give you some pointers

here's a better idea:

Shifters.ca

131 bloor st. west, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1R8
416 921 7845

Ask for Carlos Tomas (have him teach you, ask for him by name, he's the owner)

best investment IMO

I live at bathurst and lawrence. I really wouldn't wanna pay for this, as I think I can get the gist of it pretty quickly.

propr'one
06-01-2006, 01:14 AM
I could probably find some time to help you tomorrow if you like

Dr. Flyview
06-01-2006, 01:22 AM
I could probably find some time to help you tomorrow if you like

That's really cool man, thanks. Although tomorrow I don't think I have time. Buying the car at 12, getting temporary permit (not certified and etested yet) after this, and then I'll be off to school at 4.

BTW, do you know how long it takes insurance to make a policy? My dad is calling tomorrow morning and hopefully we'll have something by noon so we can get the temporary registration.

propr'one
06-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Your car can get insured right away, your insurance can fax you a proof of insurance slip

Dr. Flyview
06-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Your car can get insured right away, your insurance can fax you a proof of insurance slip

great great. I hope my fax works...I think lately it's been coming out with a dark band on one side (or is that when I send? lol)

Maybe they can email me a scan?

SO can you just tell me quickly, do u give gas while releasing clutch when going 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd etc. (I know you do this when starting in 1st), or press the gas only after you released the clutch?

M3ti Compact
06-01-2006, 01:33 AM
The way I learned, is to first read up and understand the purpose and function of the clutch. Afterwards, learning why things are happening the way they are is very easy.

Anyways, for a real simple explination (i'm assuming you don't know anything)...the clutch's purpose is to disconnect the engine from the transmission.

Why? First is because the transmission cannot shift gears when power is being directed through it...just like it's hard to remove the bottom book from a stack of books. Therefore, you must press the clutch every time you change gears- any gear.

Second reason is that the engine needs to be running above a certain RPM or (around 400rpms) stall speed. This really only applies at a standstill the engine is running around 1000rpms and the transmission is stopped at 0 rpms. The clutch is allows you to reconnect the engine power to transmission gradually to allow both to spin up to the same rotation speeds above the stall speed so you won't stall. If you were to reconnect the engine to transmission too fast (eg. by releasing the clutch to fast) you will stall. If you reconnect too slowly, the car goes nowhere...and you start killing your clutch here.

Dr. Flyview
06-01-2006, 01:36 AM
The way I learned, is to first read up and understand the purpose and function of the clutch. Afterwards, learning why things are happening the way they are is very easy.

Anyways, for a real simple explination (i'm assuming you don't know anything)...the clutch's purpose is to disconnect the engine from the transmission.

Why? First is because the transmission cannot shift gears when power is being directed through it...just like it's hard to remove the bottom book from a stack of books. Therefore, you must press the clutch every time you change gears- any gear.

Second reason is that the engine needs to be running above a certain RPM or (around 400rpms) stall speed. This really only applies at a standstill the engine is running around 1000rpms and the transmission is stopped at 0 rpms. The clutch is allows you to reconnect the engine power to transmission gradually to allow both to spin up to the same rotation speeds above the stall speed so you won't stall. If you were to reconnect the engine to transmission too fast (eg. by releasing the clutch to fast) you will stall. If you reconnect too slowly, the car goes nowhere...and you start killing your clutch here.

Cool cool. The only part I didn't know was that releasing the clutch too slowly can hurt it also!

What about my question above?

propr'one
06-01-2006, 01:38 AM
pretty much the whole "stick driving" method is releasing the clutch while you give gas. Great first exercise: If your car is a 325 (should work if its a 318, never tried, they prolly got enough low end torque to do this)

Dont use the gas at all at first. Use your left foot to press the clutch ALL the way to the ground. Get a feel for when the clutch is on the ground. Its a good habit to depress the clutch all the way when you first start driving stick.

Now, with the clutch firmly pressed all the way down, shift your car into first gear. Now here's the tricky part:P (not really)

Without giving the car any gas, get the car moving. this will require you to VERY slowly release the clutch. You'll probably stall it the first time you do it. when you do that, if no one is with you, pat yourself on the back. You are now learning how to drive stick:D

(obviously once the car is moving, press the clutch back in, and press the brake. Turn the car off, shift back into neutral (dont forget to clutch), and do it again)

Once you can get your car moving without stalling it or giving it gas, practise bringing your clutch out to the point right before it engages. That's the key point. Once you know exactly where that point it, turn the car off again, get the in first, not moving. As you approach that point we were just talking about, slowly start giving it a bit of gas. you shouldn't be breaking 1000RPM shifting into first. As you give it a little more gas, start releasing the clutch to the point of contact. DONT fly off the clutch, just release it a little, so its still slipping. When you feel the car starting to move, dont "dump" (let go of the clutch). Dont even release it anymore. Just hold it right there when its slipping for a full 2-3 seconds, then slowly release it. Now, accelerate up to about 3000 RPM, and shift into second. Clutch all the way down, shifter into second, tiny bit of gas, slowly easing off the clutch pedal. You'll figure it out very soon bro

btw. get some sleep. You wont get any tomorrow, i guarantee it:P

sirex
06-01-2006, 01:41 AM
just remeber:

When in doubt, clutch it out.

Dr. Flyview
06-01-2006, 01:42 AM
btw. get some sleep. You wont get any tomorrow, i guarantee it:P

OH YEA :D :D

euro*
06-01-2006, 02:09 AM
the best way to learn is to find the balance point in the clutch, when u are a bout to drive slowly release the clutch untill the car starts to move and no don't add gas repeats this untill u get the feel,

Dr. Flyview
06-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Ok i GOT IT :D

Took me a while to get rid of the reflex to "drop the clutch" once the car started moving. It'll take a bit more practice though.

e30_kid89
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
a lil tip i leared wen i first started driving stick, if ur doing that clutch out slowly no gas thing you can tell when the tranny and the engine are beginning to engage each other by listening to the engine or looking at ur tach. the rpms should start to dip a lil (like the car is about to stall) then slowly come back to normal engine idle speed.

kamus
06-02-2006, 01:42 AM
I was driving stick for 10 years, thought I knew it all, then a friend showed me this: It really helped by develop a certain sympathy for me 'bits':idea:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm