PDA

View Full Version : Importing a car from USA

Desisuperman
05-28-2006, 09:54 PM
So been looking around on trader.com, bimmerfoums.com and m5board.com and i'm seeing some nice cars priced pretty well. Seeing that the exchange rate is almost next to nothing i guess now would be better than ever to buy a car from the states considerign they're cheaper and have a wider selection.

My buddy just went over and bought himself a 2005 350z. He wasn't aware of all the taxes he was goign to get hit with but I guess he foudn out the hardway. Anyhow this is what he paid on top of the payign price

15% tax, + 6-7% (currency exchange) + 6% (tariff???) since the car was mfg in Japan.

basically he ended up paying close to 30% on top of the purchase price (OUCH)

Seeing this is the case, ther emust be some loopholes to this system or ways aroudn this.

Anbody here have any experience with buying vehicles from the states?

I know a few ppl who have dealer plates, would it make any difference if they were to "purchase" the car?

say if the seller were to drive the car to canada, would be the tax implications then??

any suggestions and tips would be appreciated, tia

propr'one
05-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah, it is around 30%, but, you dont have to pay sales tax in the states on the car. You have to find a state/dealer that will sell you the car for export, but it can be done

Understated
05-28-2006, 10:11 PM
i think your best bet is to find a private deal....you can 'edit' the bill of sale so the taxes won't get you down too badly :)

rodo
05-28-2006, 10:13 PM
i heard that trying that is useless, that somehow they always find out how much you really paid. Someone on this forum I believe said that

Desisuperman
05-28-2006, 10:27 PM
i heard that trying that is useless, that somehow they always find out how much you really paid. Someone on this forum I believe said that

yeah, my contact who works for canada customs told me the same thing. he advised that they can/will request to see bank statements or proof of money transfer.

X5HogTown
05-28-2006, 10:45 PM
This should be a sticky (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50332)

Desisuperman
05-28-2006, 11:09 PM
This should be a sticky (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50332)

ahhh!! Thanks man! gonan read through it now!

Understated
05-28-2006, 11:13 PM
yeah, my contact who works for canada customs told me the same thing. he advised that they can/will request to see bank statements or proof of money transfer.

i see your point but theres a way around everything.*par-t*

BMWF1
05-28-2006, 11:19 PM
My Zee is imported from Michigan, not a big deal at all. few extra days of running around, saved 10K

Desisuperman
05-28-2006, 11:31 PM
i see your point but theres a way around everything.*par-t*

that's what i always say! *angel*

ScotcH
05-29-2006, 03:09 PM

I doubt it ... a signed bill of sale is technically a legal document, which is enough proof for what you payed for it. Of course, if the bill of sale is too low, they will just use the black book (or red book?) value on the car instead.

Desisuperman
05-29-2006, 05:11 PM
I doubt it ... a signed bill of sale is technically a legal document, which is enough proof for what you payed for it. Of course, if the bill of sale is too low, they will just use the black book (or red book?) value on the car instead.

yeah i can see what u mean, as long as u keep it within reason.

What would be the implications if you get the seller to drive it here or if you were a dealer here and u were to buy the car down there?

ScotcH
05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
yeah i can see what u mean, as long as u keep it within reason.

What would be the implications if you get the seller to drive it here or if you were a dealer here and u were to buy the car down there?

There is no difference ... in the end, you still have to pay all the fees/taxes/duty before the car can be registered in Canada. Dealers have the exact same costs ... I asked :) The difference is that dealers never buy privately ... they always go to auction, so they get stupid good deals (and ususally a salvage title!)