PDA

View Full Version : Street Racing - A CRIMINAL OFFENCE?!?!?

bimmer318ti
05-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Tories target street racers - Proposed Criminal Code offence could put worst offenders behind bars

"Street racers who put innocent lives at risk should lose their cars, lose their licence for life and spend time in jail, say police and others battling a deadly street racing culture that has claimed 31 lives in Greater Toronto since 1999."

Full article: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1148593811989

Justin e36
05-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah I've been following this story too. To be honest, I'm not too upset about it. Usually it's G1 kids trying to show off anyway.

paul christians
05-26-2006, 05:35 PM
^^^yes that is soooo ture man,this has been going on for some time....

bimmer318ti
05-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah I've been following this story too. To be honest, I'm not too upset about it. Usually it's G1 kids trying to show off anyway.

I agree with you Justin. Any we wonder why insurance rates are so high.

propr'one
05-26-2006, 05:54 PM
I think there needs to be a clear definition of what streetracing is though. Like a bunch of kids bunched around dragging their cars is streetracing, but two people at a red light who seem to be accelerating faster than usual. I dont ever drag my car anywhere, but i suppose some of my spirited driving could be misinterpreted as racing

e30_kid89
05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
I think there needs to be a clear definition of what streetracing is though. Like a bunch of kids bunched around dragging their cars is streetracing, but two people at a red light who seem to be accelerating faster than usual. I dont ever drag my car anywhere, but i suppose some of my spirited driving could be misinterpreted as racing
exactly.......thats whree things are gonna get ****ed up and ppl r gonna get pissed.....they have to "define" exacly what you need to be doing to be comitting street racing...

like for example if they pull over some grandpa weaving thru hwy traffic @ 160 r they gonna say he was street racing???

and about the g1 thing, i drove my dads e36 for about 4 months with my g1 :Dalone and i came out fine:)

1BADBMR
05-26-2006, 06:01 PM
They should make more drag strips/ tracks so people can use it. I think the tracks are too far from toronto.

uber e36
05-26-2006, 06:32 PM
^^ I agree but land is too valuable close to downtown and if you just wanted to convert a pre-existing facility into a drag at night, no one would insure it.

I personally don't see harm in a few people gathering late at night in an industrial area and running a few controlled 1/4 miles.

It's the people racing in traffic that are dangerous...

propr'one
05-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Its not illeagal to run 1/4 miles if its on your own property. (i think, justin will correct/insult me if im wrong:D)

edit: revshot pave a 1/2 mile track on your farm!!

myndgone
05-26-2006, 06:38 PM
what happened to "lets get guns off our streets" campaign? died kinda quick...oh yeah..easier to catch these guys....

its a right thing to do anyways...

Redster
05-26-2006, 07:06 PM
If this bill becomes a law it will end up going the same road as bit bull law. As mentioned before, they need a clear definition of what street racing is, and I don't think that's possible. What I would do is change the law to punish more those who kill/injure others or damage property as a result of street racing.

On the other hand proposed law would give the crown option of asking for prison term when it comes to REPEAT offenders, so if you get a few tickets for street racing chances are they are not all mistakes.

Bmwstylz
05-26-2006, 07:14 PM
I think there are already existing laws to Cover dangerous driving and whatnot.

The problem with a 'catch-all' law like this is that it could hurt people who aren't really putting anyone at risk.

Example: Me and a buddy racing the other day from a traffic light on a four lane (2 each direction) divided city street. The speed limit is 60km/h but average speed of traffic would be 80km/h. So we did a short race with a burst up to 100km/h. 0 pedestrians ahead of, and no side streets for 300m.

Danger level - 1.

If i was criminally charged for that, I would argue that the law is excessive and 'draconian.'

lukeh
05-26-2006, 07:18 PM

I had some stupid shit in a lowered gray jetta doing that one the way home on highway 7. Cut 4 cars off during a 2km stretch. The worst was he started off by blasting by everyone in the left hand turning lane, then cuts off a guy by quickly turning right back into the normal left lane. Guy laid on this horn, this kid had the audacity to give him the finger. Then he spots my car, and is trying to get me to race him in 6pm traffic. It's these kids who are the ones that make me shake my head on the way home daily.

Just wish more cops would take out the weaving punks, and leaving the high-speed low-weave types alone.

paul christians
05-26-2006, 07:19 PM
^^yes there is that law,but they ehat to stop it all together...good luck on that too.......

Redster
05-26-2006, 07:22 PM
What they want to do is 3 strikes and you're out law. Almost 4 years ago my then girlfriend was killed by a guy who was racing down what he tought was empty street. He run a stop sign, together with 2 other cars, and hit her car. She was killed instantly and he was released from hospital same night. At the end he got a year in prison. Not good enough if you ask me, so yes I do support this law but they need to make it clear. Also, if you get 2 tickets for street racing and that doesn't do it for you, maybe you need some time out.

bmwm5lover
05-26-2006, 07:34 PM
This is ****ing ridiculous.

paul christians
05-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Redster sorry to hear that man,that suck big time man...if you are going to play at the game do it as safe as you can,no I am not saying it is ok for this,I was a big player in that game,I am still play but not like old days.........And you all do it in some kind of a way.....

e36chick
05-26-2006, 07:46 PM
this is gonna be one big mess....all you'll see is quota-hungry cops targeting every modified car they see and charge them with "street racing" if they can get away with it.

and yeah, whatever happened to that gun clean up program???

Hound
05-26-2006, 07:49 PM
i always thought that this was a law already so im kinda meh about it, but i fully agree that there is a time and place for everything, if i do drive quicker then usual im certainly not gonna do it if there is a risk of hitting a pedestrian or, in really heavy traffic. as stated above, it's really the kids who think they are all that that are the problem and i wish that they would do more to catch these asshats rather then picking on all of us under a blanket law. i mean if im going to play i do it as safely as possible and always make sure that if there is any traffic around that i am not putting anyone in the position of having to slam on the brakes, i always make sure im not cutting others off cause i would feel so bad if something happened as a result of something that i might have caused. as paul said there is a way to play safe and then there are the idiots....

Soldo
05-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Ya this is just a stupid law!

Because we already have the Wreckless and Careless driving tickets.... they make these high hp cars and expect people not to touch them, or they get JAIL TIME?!

This is gonna cause a lotta shit, cause i already see cops pulling people over just cause they were speeeding and handing out these "RACING" tickets, for the wrong reasons!

Hound
05-26-2006, 07:50 PM
this is gonna be one big mess....all you'll see is quota-hungry cops targeting every modified car they see and charge them with "street racing" if they can get away with it.

and yeah, whatever happened to that gun clean up program???

stock '87 benzo for the win.

FOR NOW :D*angel*

propr'one
05-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Stock 92 318 ftw:)

cisco911
05-26-2006, 08:13 PM
My buddy's older brother got killed3 years ago by a kid that was racing another kid. He was on the sidewalk and the guy lost it and went into my buddy's brother. Killed him instantly obviously. Last year the court case finally finished. All the kid got was a suspended license for 5 years and community service...NO JAIL TIME. The kids lawyer argued that it was not the kids intent to kill him. Here is the best part...they suspended his license for 5 years.....when he killed my buddy's bro, he was driving without a license because he had it suspended already!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE WTF????????? These are the type of people that the law needs to get hard on!!!!! My friend almost killed the kid in the courtroom when he heard the verdict!!!! No justice whatsoever!!!

Hound
05-26-2006, 08:26 PM
^^ thats just wrong on so manny levels, and to think people get away with shit like that and some of us cant get away with a simple speeding ticket. what is the world comming to......

1BADBMR
05-26-2006, 10:38 PM
I think its just gonna get more outta control when The Fast & Stupid comes out. Next thing were gonna see is kids tryin 2 drift there front wheel drive cars

BMWF1
05-26-2006, 10:44 PM
i think its a good thing....i pay 1400 a year for insurance, full coverage and still bitch at them and say its too high....me have 0 tickets though for 6 years now

Understated
05-26-2006, 11:19 PM
I think its just gonna get more outta control when The Fast & Stupid comes out. Next thing were gonna see is kids tryin 2 drift there front wheel drive cars

ain't that the truth*mumble*

there were already these losers at my highschool that were HARSH into initial D and all that stuff...they used to handbrake drift their cars into corners in DRY conditions....one allegedly swiped a car and took off :rolleyes:

but i agree....discretion of the cop is gonna cause a LOT OF crap with this ticket*shiner*

M3ti Compact
05-27-2006, 04:06 AM
I would support what they are trying to do if they actually gave a crap about reducing the problem. Telling people to take it to the track and putting a roadblock to the track entrance, which people go out of their way to drive to, just shows what their real motives are.

northern_bmw
05-27-2006, 11:39 AM
^ i agree...sounds like a money-grab to me.....also street racing is an issue that people have picked to get upset about, so the government is just trying to win popularity points.

I mean really, 31 deaths in 7 years...yeah sounds like a huge problem to me. :rolleyes:

Prash
05-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I got busted for street racing 6 years ago. Technically I was charged with speeding (84 over the limit) only since 5-0 never saw us start racing. I lost my licence for a month (a joke IMO). This is a interesting law in that I am against wreckless racers, but I don't want to find that I get charged with street racing someday simply b/c I had a random red light run with someone.

The law needs to be more clear on this issue.

ZiMMie
05-27-2006, 01:07 PM
this ticket/offence will be abused by soo many cops. expecially people with previous crimial offence will be thier biggest target.

Soldo
05-27-2006, 01:26 PM
this ticket/offence will be abused by soo many cops. expecially people with previous crimial offence will be thier biggest target.

This is exactly what scares the shit outta me. I'm scared that if i ever get caught speeding again, and they pull up my file, and see all the tickets they'll just slap me with a RACING ticket, and suddenly i become BIG BUBBA's PRISON BITCH!
*shiner*

paul christians
05-27-2006, 01:57 PM
all this is free for all on modded car etc...that all....just go pull over by the DOME this morning coming from the meet and that,they had me there like 2 hours going over my car,but no tackets at all,and the cops told me that I am in the RED BOOK,and I said I knew that guys........

paul christians
05-27-2006, 01:59 PM
drinking and driving kills more each year

propr'one
05-27-2006, 03:46 PM
drinking and driving kills more each year
THANK you

i still think all of north america needs to take drinking and driving much more seriously

flex_318
05-27-2006, 04:35 PM
all this is free for all on modded car etc...that all....just go pull over by the DOME this morning coming from the meet and that,they had me there like 2 hours going over my car,but no tackets at all,and the cops told me that I am in the RED BOOK,and I said I knew that guys........

What did you do to get into the red book?

paul christians
05-27-2006, 05:35 PM
^^^what is this thread about.........all this is from back in my younger days...heheheheheheeeeeee