PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

Dr. Flyview
05-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi,

Let me tell you I would really love to join the BMW community but unfortunately I only have $5000 to spend.

I've looked around, with pretty much dissapointing results. I can find a 3 series up to 1994 at the newest.

I went to see a 535i which looked sweet (except for cracked headlight and taillight).

http://i4.tinypic.com/10mj252.jpg

I was very shocked to see 347 000km onboard :(

Too much?

Bmwstylz
05-24-2006, 10:23 PM
WAYYYYYY TOO MUCH!!! Listen dude, I have owned several Bmws, and I would *never* buy one over 200k, simply because you can get them under 200k for a good price... if you look long enough.

347k is one repair from the junkyard! Offer the guy $500 or just wait for a better car :)

bmw_tech84
05-24-2006, 10:51 PM
WAYYYYYY TOO MUCH!!! Listen dude, I have owned several Bmws, and I would *never* buy one over 200k, simply because you can get them under 200k for a good price... if you look long enough.

347k is one repair from the junkyard! Offer the guy $500 or just wait for a better car :)

I'm going to have to agree with you on this. Yes most of the time that is wayyy too much km's for a car but the bmw 3.5l engines like in the 535 are bullet proof. i have seen countless 535's and 735's with more than that. a few with over 500,000km and they keep going strong. As long as the vehicle has been taken care of and the suspension and body of the car seem to be solid then i would say go for it and but it. But also keep in mind that you shouldn't be paying 5000 for the car. i would say maybe half of that if everything else is in great shape

propr'one
05-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Im glad you came over to maxbimmer:)

Like i said on BF.C, wayyyyyy too high

BigD
05-24-2006, 10:53 PM
It might not be. If you do enough checks it could be ok. I've known 535's with that much mileage. With proper maintenance they had no problems. That's the only problem though - it's hard to know that it had proper maintenance. But the engine is the epitome of bullet proof. Do a leak down and compression test, check the oil and coolant for purity etc and if it checks out, the engine is going to keep ticking. I shit you not, I saw one engine apart with 240k on it to replace the head gasket and you could still see traces of cross-hatch honing on the bores. We were joking around that it's finally broken in now. I knew one guy with a 535 with over 400k on it and the only problem he had was the transmission syncros were going out as it would pop out of 5th gear. But overall even the transmission is bulletproof and isn't expensive to rebuild.

EDIT: however I agree that 5k is too much for a car with that much mileage - think of it as the higher the mileage, the more risk you have that something big will go wrong. Are you willing to bet 5 grand on 347k kms on a 15 year old 5 series? I would bet 8 grand or so on one if it had 200k or less.

Dr. Flyview
05-24-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm going to have to agree with you on this. Yes most of the time that is wayyy too much km's for a car but the bmw 3.5l engines like in the 535 are bullet proof. i have seen countless 535's and 735's with more than that. a few with over 500,000km and they keep going strong. As long as the vehicle has been taken care of and the suspension and body of the car seem to be solid then i would say go for it and but it. But also keep in mind that you shouldn't be paying 5000 for the car. i would say maybe half of that if everything else is in great shape

Yea...he IS actually asking for $5000 b/c he has a nice new sound system and those "M-parallel rims" and "sport tires" + he's offering original rims and tires.

He said he'd give it to me for $3500 without the sound system (except the deck) and without the rims and tires, but thanks for the advice that it's only worth 2500!

BigD
05-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Yea...he IS actually asking for $5000 b/c he has a nice new sound system and those "M-parallel rims" and "sport tires" + he's offering original rims and tires.

He said he'd give it to me for $3500 without the sound system (except the deck) and without the rims and tires, but thanks for the advice that it's only worth 2500!

I pretty much guarantee you that the rims are fakes (hard to tell for sure from the pic but I've seen enough to be quite sure even from that) and together with his "nice new sound system" are not worth $1500. Offer him 3k without all that junk, and use the remainder of the cash to buy new rims (real M parallels or another set) - this is AFTER you do every proper mechanical test.

ZiMMie
05-24-2006, 11:06 PM
No if its properly maintain as BIGD Said.
m10,m20,m30 motor are BMW @ thier BEST *th-up*

Dr. Flyview
05-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Ok so other than some of the tests mentioned above (leak down and compression test, check the oil and coolant for purity), what should I check? And how much would these cost and where should I do them?

Also, how would I check if the rims are real?

Redster
05-24-2006, 11:14 PM
You never know with BMWs, but you should always have $500-$1000 for repairs, just in case. Ask for service records, do a compression test, rust etc. I think it would be better to get something with lower mileage for $5000, maybe a 318/320.

Wannabe
05-24-2006, 11:28 PM
I have 347 on my car.. and I love it

BigD
05-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Ok so other than some of the tests mentioned above, what should I check? And how much would these cost and where should I do them?

Also, how would I check if the rims are real?

Take a photo for me I'll tell you. Real M parallels have a certain look to them. Fakes are either painted (so they're fully mat silver) or polished (so they're all shiny). Real ones have a polished lip but the face of them has a bit of a mat finish, and then the inside of the spokes is shiny like the lip. Most fakes also don't have an indent for the ///M logo (a little rectangular sticker that goes close to the hub). Some don't have one at all and others just have one glued on without an indent. The real ones have it countersunk. Some fakes now have an indent for the logo too. If you want to be 100% sure, take one off and look on the back of the spoke. Real ones have the BMW part number stamped on them. Finally a lot of fakes are not staggered - they're all 18x8. Real ones have 18x9.5 in the rear (you can clearly see by a deeper lip.

It's important to get the real ones because... well for one they look better and the finish is much more durable but more importantly they're forged so they are much stronger. I had fakes on my 535 at first and they bent pretty easy.

Here's the real deal (notice how the face is not shiny but the inside of the spokes and the lip are - but not too shiny):
http://www.photoscene.com/sw/images/740iwheel.jpg

Here's a decent fake (staggered and the emblem is countersunk). But it's all polished:
http://www.thewheelexchange.com/auctions/fm_replica/images/oem_parallel_polished_singl.jpg

Dr. Flyview
05-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Wow thanks for the info. Your real pic of the rims doesn't work though. Let's say they are real...how much would 4 of these be worth?

BigD
05-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Wow thanks for the info. Your real pic of the rims doesn't work though. Let's say they are real...how much would 4 of these be worth?

Sorry, guess they protect from bandwidth hijacking :P

http://www.photoscene.com/sw/images/740iwheel.shtml

If they're real, depending on condition, they can be found for around 1200-1600 US with tires.

Dr. Flyview
05-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Cool thanks. If i go look at it again I'll know what to look for :)

I've been searching on autotrader up till now. Anywhere else I should check for bmw for sale (other than this board, which I checked)?

BigD
05-25-2006, 01:49 AM
Cool thanks. If i go look at it again I'll know what to look for :)

I've been searching on autotrader up till now. Anywhere else I should check for bmw for sale (other than this board, which I checked)?

Check craigslist

Justin e36
05-25-2006, 02:41 AM
If the car is still on the road after 347k with the original engine.. I think it's safe to assume it was not abused.

However, that's a lot of km.. especially with our Canadian winters. There's a whole lot more wear and tear that a car will endure other than the engine. I'd say pass.

Dr. Flyview
05-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Sweet craiglist offers me quite a few more cars :D

How far back into the list should I look? How many days? I've already seen one that's posted twice.

BigD
05-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Sweet craiglist offers me quite a few more cars :D

How far back into the list should I look? How many days? I've already seen one that's posted twice.

Not too far... people on craigslist aren't good at changing their ads to reflect that the car is sold. If you found a great deal that's a few weeks old, it's probably sold. That being said, some perserverance can't hurt. If you find something you like posted a while back, give them a call and see if it's available.

Dr. Flyview
05-26-2006, 01:47 AM
How does a 1992 525i 5spd 214K, fully loaded (no AC I do'nt think) for $4500 cert & etested sound?