PDA

View Full Version : Audi vs. BMW

SteveMKIIDub
05-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Here's what I'd like in the next couple of years.. maybe a "grad" present to myself.

Any Audi A4 1996-2002 ish. 2.8 or 1.8T. 5-Speed.

Prices on the Audi's seem to be a baby step higher than comparable BMW 318IS (or just E36 in general I guess).

However, I have heard the Audi's have certain control arm, waterpump, dash, etc problems.. and I'm sure uber-expensive TB and Waterpump changes.

Here's what I'm wondeirng. Which car would be more reliable, less expensive on repairs and likely to be less of a hassle overall?

I know there will be SOME Bias seeing as this is a BMW forum.. but I know many European car owners own other brands so I'm curious to know..

Gamite
05-22-2006, 10:42 PM
more reliable? probably BMW.

But if you're considering a 318, I would take the 1.8T over that anyday.

///Milan
05-22-2006, 11:47 PM
The Audi is more of an interior comfort car, it feels nicer inside and its all-wheel drive.

The BMW is much more of a drivers car and much sportier. Rear wheel drive, and just feels more fun to drive.

Meegis
05-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Don't even get me started....

This is a completely biased thread...

Unbiased answer (somewhat): Both companies are hit and miss, both companies are expensive to maintain, it is all in how comfortable you are in each. Go drive them both, whichever feels better, is the one you should get. Its as simple as that.

Axxe
05-23-2006, 12:16 AM
RWD >>> AWD for maintance. Half the half-shafts, cv joints, diffs, etc.

Furious
05-23-2006, 12:20 AM
i dont see anything bias in this thread.

i would pick the audi simply because of the performance aspect.

Meegis
05-23-2006, 12:38 AM
i dont see anything bias in this thread.

i would pick the audi simply because of the performance aspect.

Agreed...

And the turbo modability *th-up*

Gamite
05-23-2006, 01:29 AM
Both companies are hit and miss, both companies are expensive to maintain.

You and me both know that VW/Audi is worse for wear when it comes to maintenance.

But like I said, I'd pick it over a 318 because of a performance.

Skeezix
05-23-2006, 01:37 AM
I went through the same dilemma not too long ago. And had choosen the Audi 1.8t actually until I test drove another one (a friend of mine had one and I drove it once as a non test drive and really liked it). And after I actually test drove one I figured the only time I'd have any fun with it would be in the winter and it felt kinda bulky and predictable and at highway speeds they all seem to have an annoying air noise by the sunroof (it was slightly annoying to me anyways). Comfort wise, it's tough to say, they're both the same but I think I prefer the layout of the BMW better. I did end up buying a '98 323is and I'm happy with my decision. Oh and another big reason I went with BMW is that the motors use timing chains, where the 1.8t like I wanted uses a timing belt with the motor being an interference motor, I really didn't feel like taking the risk of having the belt rip all of a sudden and paying a dealer over $5000 for a rebuild, which is what happened to a friend of mine. But he also could have prevented that but the risk is still there. Do more research and test drive them all. If you don't care about performace so much but like the Audi, get a 2.8. But that's just my opinion.

edit - sorry for the long post

maxx318i
05-23-2006, 01:52 AM
no bias.

pick BMW.

challe
05-23-2006, 03:35 AM
sorry Dont like the AUDIIIS !

Challe / :huh?:

Redster
05-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I was trying to decide between A6 4.2 and 540i, after testing both, reading reviews, talking to people who hah both, I've decide to go with the 540i. No regrets here.

Darkness95m3
05-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Don't even get me started....

This is a completely biased thread...

You think?:D

thinair
05-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Honestly, I love the look of the newer Audi's, especially the wagons. Why won't I buy one? Parts are apperently more expensive then BMW parts, there have always been electrical issues, so my friends who own and work on Audi and VW's (working at Pfaff VW and Pfaff Tuning).

From my personal experience, I've had nothing but good fortune with my car, I work on it myself and I have yet to have a bolt that wouldn't come loose, or something that broke for no reason, or something that wore out prematurely. I have had very little wear out, and I'm sure if I didn't drive my car hard it would practically maintain itself. :P