PDA

View Full Version : 168Mph e36M3

Darkness95m3
05-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I had one of my friends on his ZX10R keep pace with me to see what the top speed on my car is.

With no other vehicles on the highway at all, the car reached 168Mph before the rev limiter kicked in @ 7250Rpm.

His digital speedometer showed approx 279Kmh just before I let off.
However the bike has an error of 3% at those speeds.

Car was very stable, what I did notice that under heavy breaking the rear end felt a little bit light. I guess I would need to buy one of those light weight wings to help in that department.

I would like to take my car to Mosport and before I do I need to address the issue. I would like to do this before I paint my car.

Does any one have any suggestions how I can stabilize the rear end?
Is it possible that my rear brakes are not biting hard enough to slow down the car?

I raced motorcycles and the rear brake was just usless to me. With the car it's all new to me.

DbIiRrTdY
05-17-2006, 12:46 PM
would you even get that fast on mosport - is it really an issue?

static
05-17-2006, 01:13 PM
i heard people gotten around 200km/h by the end of the backstraight, then you have to brake real hard going into 8 - so thats when he'd need it

How about get some stiffer springs at the front?

Hasselhoff
05-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Car was very stable, what I did notice that under heavy breaking the rear end felt a little bit light. I guess I would need to buy one of those light weight wings to help in that department.

I would like to take my car to Mosport and before I do I need to address the issue. I would like to do this before I paint my car.

Does any one have any suggestions how I can stabilize the rear end?
Is it possible that my rear brakes are not biting hard enough to slow down the car?

I would say wing to get some downforce on your rear end at high speeds. Although I've never taken my e36 anywhere near that high a speed, I'd imagine there's quite a bit of weight transfer to the front under heavy braking from 250Kmh. You'd cut into your top end speed though.

All the Euro Touring cars seem to have them...

That's just my $0.02 thou!

Darkness95m3
05-17-2006, 04:13 PM

My suspension is twice the stifness compared to the average M3.

Soldo
05-17-2006, 04:13 PM
The BME LTW Spoiler, that thing is supposed to make a nice difference at higher speeds like that!

Darkness95m3
05-17-2006, 04:16 PM
i heard people gotten around 200km/h by the end of the backstraight, then you have to brake real hard going into 8 - so thats when he'd need it

On a motorcycle from 280Kmh we just drop one gear and around we go, the engine slows us down untill hard breaking for the left turn and then right for the start finish line.

Furious
05-17-2006, 04:37 PM
have you looked at the CF wing group buy on bfc? they are the adjustable ones so you can create more downforce than the OE LTW wing.

crusher
05-17-2006, 04:39 PM
What rates are you running f / r? BTW, you'll probably hit 240/250 on mosport's backstraight.. Constantly hitting 160/170 in the rain.. In dry around 180/190.. you'll need the downforce on turn 8 for sure..

Darkness95m3
05-17-2006, 05:37 PM
What rates are you running f / r?

I don't know the car came wihh a modified suspension.

crusher
05-17-2006, 06:01 PM
I don't know the car came wihh a modified suspension.

hmm.. it should show you on the springs unless its faided.

windwagen
05-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Darkness, it sound's like this may be your first time at a large road track? Maybe you should leave the car alone and just be careful - take it easy!

Darkness95m3
05-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Darkness, it sound's like this may be your first time at a large road track? Maybe you should leave the car alone and just be careful - take it easy!

I have raced @ Mosport at least 20 times on my motorcycle.
I'm no stranger to high speeds, however I do agree with you.

thinair
05-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Get a decent splitter and an adjustable wing as well. The splitter will help keep the car planted at speed due to the lower air pressure under the car.

I notice at 200+ my car start lifting as well, it's a common issue with many cars. As a note, I too can hit just over 200 on the back straight at Mosport in the dry, 280 is nuts though.

Soldo
05-18-2006, 12:06 AM
http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529295

Darkness, THIS is what you need.... then slap on the spoiler to match!

Darkness95m3
05-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Get a decent splitter and an adjustable wing as well. The splitter will help keep the car planted at speed due to the lower air pressure under the car.

I notice at 200+ my car start lifting as well, it's a common issue with many cars. As a note, I too can hit just over 200 on the back straight at Mosport in the dry, 280 is nuts though.

Actually the car is planted to the ground, it's just that under full breaking that the back end seems to be light.

cisco911
05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
All BMWs are light in the back under braking. Splitter/rear wing will help, but the weight will always transfer to the front under braking. The only way to remedy this is through engine breaking. However, at that speed you can't drop into 4th(dropping a gear will cause the rear end of the car to slam down due to the powertrain trying to slow the rear wheels down). Bottom line is the E36 M3 is not aerodynamically or mechanically setup to run at 250kms + and brake hard "safely". If you want to do these things safely without any of the problems your experiencing, sell your M3 and buy a 911 TT or a ferrari / lambo.

ara325
05-18-2006, 12:13 PM
What about a brake controller? You can transfer the braking force to the rear wheels on the track and back to normal for everyday driving.*th-up*

ScotcH
05-18-2006, 01:36 PM

I hit about 215kph in my track car, and it's only 2700lbs, with engine mods. Cobra Mustangs hit about 230kph. I doubt a basically stock motor M3 with >3000lbs will hit 200kph easily. However, I do agree that the car will get a bit light under heavy braking. A wing will help, but not much ... what you want the wing for is stability through high speed conrners (like trun 8)

ScotcH
05-18-2006, 01:39 PM
What about a brake controller? You can transfer the braking force to the rear wheels on the track and back to normal for everyday driving.*th-up*

Nope ... the issue is not braking, it's weight transfer. Doing that will just lock you rear wheels (or kick in ABS).

propr'one
05-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Its strange how some e36's react at 200 KM/h. mine sees 200 every blue moon, and behaves rather well. (litterally, just 200, rev limiter prevents me from going much faster). It seems well planted, and handles well enough. My cousin's 325i (94), get VERY ratty at 130 MPH (he's in the states). His car is very well maintained, everthing is straight and aligned. he's on coilovers, im on stock.

DarknessM3, if you want to borrow my GPS setup sometime and get a more accurate read of your top speed, just ask*th-up*

Soldo
05-18-2006, 02:51 PM
The only reason the car WOULDN'T be stable is if something is off, wheels are off balance, bad baljoints, etc.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Darkness' M3 have a SC on it? He should have NO PROBLEM going faster than 230 on the straight if a stock M can do 215!

Darkness95m3
05-18-2006, 06:17 PM
And correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Darkness' M3 have a SC on it? He should have NO PROBLEM going faster than 230 on the straight if a stock M can do 215!

Yes I do have a supercharger. The reason I got one is for the track, turbo produces to much heat for my taste.