PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to buy USED Coilovers?

rendered
05-16-2006, 01:01 AM
LIke the title says. I never bought coilovers before.

I found a seller in my area. local, who's selling Bilstein PSS9's.

Is it okay to buy these used?

He doesn't have a bill/reciet nor boxes.

How do I know if they are going to last me or not?

Bliss
05-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Its ok to buy almost anything used as long as you use your discretion. Make sure to check and see that they are not leaking, bent, or cracked...basically their condition. A friend of mine just purchased used PSS9's and he loves them. Good luck.

rendered
05-16-2006, 09:36 AM
sweet! The seller has lost the adjusting wrench's.

will my mechanic (RMP) still be able to adjust their height?

djcontra
05-16-2006, 10:54 AM
I bought some used coilovers before, and another member bought those from me afterwards as well. Like bliss said, as long as they're still in pretty good condition you should be alright. Some coilovers can even be rebuilt which may cheaper than buying new ones outright. Losing the wrenches though is a bummer...try and find some asap cause it really sux without em. I got mine from snap-on for my previous coils but i'm sure more shops carry them by now.

thinair
05-16-2006, 12:24 PM
If the shocks are blown, they can always be sent back to Bilstein to be revalved. It's not a big deal, as long as they're not physically damaged.

Bliss
05-16-2006, 02:45 PM
If the shocks are blown, they can always be sent back to Bilstein to be revalved. It's not a big deal, as long as they're not physically damaged.

I beleive Bilstein requires a bill of sale for the re-sealing...so it would help if the seller has the reciept also.

thinair
05-16-2006, 02:52 PM
I beleive Bilstein requires a bill of sale for the re-sealing...so it would help if the seller has the reciept also.
Yeah, if you want it done for free.:moon:

They'll do it on request if you pay for it. Call 1-858-386-5900 at Bilstein and ask for Jack French.

E46er
05-17-2006, 04:14 AM
sweet! The seller has lost the adjusting wrench's.

will my mechanic (RMP) still be able to adjust their height?

Yea they can still adjust the height.

rendered
05-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Bilstein is on national backorder, for new ones! hahah. I guess I have to wait.

In everyone's oppinion, since I don't track my car, and I just want a close to stock ride, and the option to slam it, or raise it back up for winter, will the PSS fit all my needs, and ride as well as the PSS9's?

I believe the only difference is the loss of the 9 way dampning adjustment.

there is a difference of more than $800, which could be an exhaust system per say.

Soldo
05-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Only go for the PSS 9's if.....

a) You track your car, or really enjoy adjusting the settings to race like a nut on the street

or

b) If they're CHEAPER then the PSS's