PDA

View Full Version : E39 Heater Controls Making Horrible Noise.

tlinkletter
05-15-2006, 04:01 PM
The heater control on my Dad's E39 528i is making a horrible racket. Sounds like a fan that the bearings are gone on. Wouldn't be so bad if it was just when you turned the heater fan on or something like that but no it's all the friggin time. Even when you turn the car off the damn thing runs. Anyone know what's causing this and how to fix it. My local BMW mechanic want's to replace the whole control assembly at a cost of $650. A little more then we can afford right now but the damn sound is driving us nuts. Thanks.

Fern
05-16-2006, 07:33 AM
The blower motor is difficult to get to - you have to completely remove the upper half of the dash - not a simple job, hence the $650.00

Suggest you have a dealer confirm that he agrees that it is a blower motor before proceeding.

It is possible that something has gotten past the cabin air filter and into the chamber behind the firewall where the blower wheels are located - anything caught there might be rubbing on the edge of one of the blower cages - need to remove the intake air ducts at the firewall and inspect.

Good luck!

tlinkletter
05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
No it's not the blower fan but a fan right in the controls I believe. Maybe to keep the electronics cool I guess? It's $650 just for the Climate control unit. Labour is extra. Anyone got an old one around?

525iT_Feen
05-31-2006, 09:34 AM
No it's not the blower fan but a fan right in the controls I believe. Maybe to keep the electronics cool I guess? It's $650 just for the Climate control unit. Labour is extra. Anyone got an old one around?

What exactly do you mean by climate control unit? I have a heater fan, and a few other misc parts from the unit laying around.

tlinkletter
05-31-2006, 03:48 PM
The unit that has the buttons that you press to make the fan come on. The one with the "Rest" button on it. Guess there is a fan attached to that assembly that the bearings are gone in and I'm told the fan itself is not replaceable that you have to order the whole Button assembly.

525iT_Feen
06-02-2006, 10:37 PM
I have the button assembly available off of a car that I am parting out.

Email me at olek.migdalski@gmail.com if your interested.

dmako
06-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Not to hijack this thread but it's a perfect opportunity to ask 525iT_Feen.
My fan speed button (lower fan rate) sticks and makes a mechanical noise when pushed in. On the unit you have, does it look like the button can be replaced, or is there a spring accesable that pushes the button back out? Or, does the whole unit need to be replaced if the fan speed button goes south?

Thanks

525iT_Feen
06-13-2006, 02:32 AM
Not to hijack this thread but it's a perfect opportunity to ask 525iT_Feen.
My fan speed button (lower fan rate) sticks and makes a mechanical noise when pushed in. On the unit you have, does it look like the button can be replaced, or is there a spring accesable that pushes the button back out? Or, does the whole unit need to be replaced if the fan speed button goes south?

Thanks

Honestly, I would not take the unit apart and try to fix the button. I never took it apart but the button didnt look like it was easily accesible.