PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey dry cell battery

mrybczyn
05-15-2006, 02:37 PM
So in the process of restoring my old E36, I noticed the old battery had a big rust spot under it, probably from leaking acid or something.

I fixed it up with some rust converter, fiberglass kit, and primer, but to replace the battery, I picked up an Odyssey dry cell (680MP).

Its so small, only 9lbs, and works like a charm! Also, no more worries about leaking acid.

Highly recommended, and affordable at $160. The canadian distributor is http://www.absolutebattery.com/odyssey.htm

thinair
05-15-2006, 02:53 PM
I've had the same battery for over a year now. It's actually about 14.5lbs (15.5 if it's the metal jacket version). I hope you don't drive your car in the winter months :P

The battery is great though, no issues at all yet, although if I don't start my car for 2-3 weeks the alarm alone is enough to drain the battery so the car won't start.

They can actually be had for about $120CDN or less. I got mine from gotbatteries.com, it was $88US for the battery with auto terminals, plus shipping.

Just curious, how have you mounted your battery? I have yet to properly mount mine......

ScotcH
05-15-2006, 03:53 PM
I bent a metal bracket from some 1" flat stock (1/8" think I believe) into the shape of the battery, like this (the circles are the battery terminals):

______
__|o o|__

Then just drilled 2 holes in the side where the OE battery is, and bolted it to that. You can get at the other side by removing the plastic vent like piece in the side of the trunk.

330ci05
05-15-2006, 04:51 PM
i was thinking of getting this one myself, http://www.gotbatteries.com/items.asp?params=batteries/SLA/1/Hawker/PC680T/SL105/37L105S4

but mine stock is NEW, can my e46 battery fit into my e30?*th-up*

mrybczyn
05-16-2006, 02:28 PM
I've had the same battery for over a year now. It's actually about 14.5lbs (15.5 if it's the metal jacket version). I hope you don't drive your car in the winter months :P

Do you mean because of the loss of weight over the rear wheels? I don't think the 30 pounds will make much difference, thats what snow tires are for... I did the Fan Delete Mod as well, so thats a good 10 pounds weight loss in the front end to balance it a bit :-)

Just curious, how have you mounted your battery? I have yet to properly mount mine......

I haven't properly mounted the battery yet, but the bracket idea above sounds good to me...

thinair
05-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Do you mean because of the loss of weight over the rear wheels? I don't think the 30 pounds will make much difference, thats what snow tires are for

No no, not because of the weight, but because these batteries aren't all that good in sub-zero temperatures. At -5ÂșC my starter barely cranked, and I couldn't get my engine started. It only offers 220CCA's. I don't drive my car in the winter so it's not really much concern to me, I just thought I'd give you a heads up.

ZiMMie
05-16-2006, 08:57 PM
220CCA doesnt sound lke alot for a battery. Does anyone run any audio eqiupments in their car? will this battery be fine if i were to install 2 amplifies in my car?

mrybczyn
05-16-2006, 10:21 PM
220CCA doesnt sound lke alot for a battery. Does anyone run any audio eqiupments in their car? will this battery be fine if i were to install 2 amplifies in my car?

They have a 5 second rating of 680CCA, which should be plenty of time to start, even in winter. Also, they rate at -40C operation. Maybe you have some sort of starting problem unrelated to the battery? Or, they might suck in the cold, I'll see in a few months :-)

ZiMMie
05-16-2006, 10:24 PM
i wont be drinvin the car in the winter anyways am jst concerd if it will be able to handle 2 audio amplifiers.

propr'one
05-16-2006, 10:34 PM
They have a 5 second rating of 680CCA, which should be plenty of time to start, even in winter. Also, they rate at -40C operation. Maybe you have some sort of starting problem unrelated to the battery? Or, they might suck in the cold, I'll see in a few months :-)
lol. meet nelson. look at his car. trust me, he has no "starting problem"

mrybczyn
05-16-2006, 11:39 PM
er, my bad, they are 680 Hot cranking amps. They rate 300 cranking amps at 0C. And 220 when real low.

Maybe I'll get a battery warmer? :-)

thinair
05-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, as long as you're not cranking the stereo while the car is off. When it's running the alternator should handle most of the power output anyway. You can just run two batteries in parallel, or get one of the larger models if you're worried.