PDA

View Full Version : opinions: e39 540i

Justin e36
05-14-2006, 02:14 AM
obviously intended for current/past owners of e39's...

going to be checking out some 540i's this week to buy. how bad is it on gas? .. any common problems to look out for? owner regrets?

anyone have a list of year by year changes?

thx/J

Axxe
05-14-2006, 04:38 AM
13L / 100 is what my Dad was getting on his M-sport pacakge, which is what you should look for (if you're looking for something newer). Fun to drive car, with loads of power and pimp factor :)

Justin e36
05-14-2006, 05:45 AM
13L / 100 is what my Dad was getting on his M-sport pacakge, which is what you should look for (if you're looking for something newer). Fun to drive car, with loads of power and pimp factor :)

Unfortunately I can't afford the M-Sport package. It would probably be a 99 or 2000 540i. This is for a gift to my dad...

Redster
05-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I have 99 540i, city is anywhere from 13l/100km to 16l/100km, all depends how hard you push it. Highway you can go all the way down to 9l/100km. It's really not that bad for a 4.4 v8 engine and this heavy car.

I didn't have it long enough to experience common problems (other to make sure car was not in an accident), the only somewhat common issue I saw/heard about is dead pixels in the inst cluster ($350-500 to fix). Other than that I'd check the suspension, A/C (why spend $160 extra to fill it next day).

Good luck

///MAC
05-14-2006, 11:15 AM
I have a 530 M sport pack and we get about 11.5 both city and highway combined. Very good on gas and we usually do about 500-600 km on a tank

VERY GOOD CAR, very easy to drive and get carried away lol

Quack
05-14-2006, 11:23 AM
asking me about gas mileage will be useless, I get anywhere from 14L/100km to 16L/100km, if you are getting a 99+ those models have Vanos & steptronic trannies which my 98 doesn't have, also the HP# on the dyno are also lower than the 99+ but since this is for your dad I don't think it matters much, just make sure the cats are ok & check all the suspension ball joints & bushings.

myndgone
05-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Justin, check for coolant leaks, rad neck and coolant bottle, drive it first and step on it a few times to make sure Check Engine doesn't come on (MAF sensor, happened to me), make sure pixels arent all ****ed up and you can actually read the milage and not need to learn braille, check the fan clutch, cats & o2's, water pumps with plastic impellers tend to go after while, but I believe they upgraded to metal ones for '99 and up...
doesnt mean these things WILL go but these are the common problems..

I did almost regret buying this car but I figured the a-hole who drove it before me didnt give 2 shits about it and I had to deal with all these mechanical issues...now that I look after it an down it, its a different ballgame, its been really good, all i did was just basic service, and DRIVE!

Its a really good car, unbelievably comfortable and fun to drive, LOVES TWISTIES :D and it can haul some ass too...cant go wrong with it!!! *th-up*

Read this, it'll help look for a few more things....

http://www.540i6.com/probsfixes.html

P.S. I get anywhere from 11.5L-15L/100, combined, mostly 13L/100 overall average, which goes up to 14.5L/100 avg. in summer (AC, racing etc lol j/k)

Miguel
05-14-2006, 04:00 PM
If it's for your dad why not just get a 528?

Justin e36
05-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.. keep them coming.

If it's for your dad why not just get a 528?

528's are more expensive than 540's now. How's that possible? ... Gas prices. Those 540's are getting tough to sell. So much so you can buy an '03 Cadillac STS Northstar V8 for the same price as a lowly '02 TL 3.2L with half the luxury options now.

Darkness95m3
05-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Highway my 540i/6 is getting 34mpg average is 28.9mpg, however just straight city driving I'm averaging 24Mpg.

The only problem that I had with my car was the neck snapping on the rad. This seems to be a problem with any e39.

propr'one
05-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Year-to-Year Changes
1998 BMW 5-Series: Optional rear side airbags became available this year, and both models also gained BMW's exclusive new Head Protection System, which consists of two tubular bags that inflate in a side impact, popping out just above each front door. A new Sport Package became optional for the 528i and the automatic-transmission 540i. The Sport Package included black body trim, a sport-tuned suspension, and 17-inch wheels and tires.

1999 BMW 5-Series: Station wagon body styles joined sedans in both 6-cylinder and V8 editions. Added as standard or optional for '99 were brighter xenon headlights, memory for power seats and mirrors, Park Distance Control that warns of obstacles when backing up, and self-leveling rear suspension for wagons. Standard on V8 models and newly optional for 528i versions was BMW's Dynamic Stability Control, designed to aid control in fast turns.

2000 BMW 5-Series: A high-performance M5 sedan returned to the BMW fold this year. Built in limited numbers, the M5 used a 400-horsepower V8 and came with a firmer suspension, 18-inch wheels, mandatory 6-speed manual transmission, and exclusive interior trim. Rain-sensing windshield wipers and xenon headlamps became standard (instead of optional) for the 540i, and were newly available for 528i models. The 528i versions also gained the 540i's standard antiskid system. All models now had daytime running lights, fog lamps, and a right outside mirror that tilts down when backing up. Lower-body rear side airbags were standard on the M5, remaining optional for other models.

2001 BMW 5-Series: Two new models, the 525i sedan and wagon, were added to the lineup. Both were powered by BMW's new-design 184-horsepower 2.5-liter inline 6-cylinder engine. The 528i wagon was dropped and the 528i sedan became a 530i with a new 3.0-liter six. Also for 2001, all models got minor cosmetic changes and a wider dashboard screen for the optional navigation system.

2002 BMW 5-Series: BMW's midrange line made few changes this year, pending release of redesigned models for 2004. The 540i's V8 gained 8 horsepower, bringing it up to 290 hp. All models got a standard in-dash CD player, 6-cyl models added a standard power passenger seat, and 525s replaced manual climate control with automatic.

2003 BMW 5-Series: All 6-cyl models add a standard sunroof. Standard on the manual-transmission 540i sedan and optional on other 540i models is a new Sport Package with 18-inch wheels, front spoiler, and sport suspension. 5-Series was redesigned with "different" styling and BMW's controversial I-Drive system for 2004.

good luck with your purchase

Mystikal
05-15-2006, 07:46 PM
E39 540iA's get better gas mileage than E30 325iS'.

If us poor kids can afford to drive them all over the place, your dad will survive.

Miguel
05-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.. keep them coming.

528's are more expensive than 540's now. How's that possible? ... Gas prices. Those 540's are getting tough to sell. So much so you can buy an '03 Cadillac STS Northstar V8 for the same price as a lowly '02 TL 3.2L with half the luxury options now.
bad comparison. Cadillac has historically had a lower resale value than Acura.
Import vs. Domestic in resale, imports win.

BMW_7
05-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Nice to see a 318i get valuable at one point :P

Justin e36
05-15-2006, 09:40 PM
bad comparison. Cadillac has historically had a lower resale value than Acura.
Import vs. Domestic in resale, imports win.

Usually agree. But the STS is another group, it competes with the RL. Not the lowly TL. For it to be priced cheaper than the TL with a longer warranty, MUCH more comfort, luxury options, and way sexier interior... it's a steal! The new TL though.. well that's just sexy. You've gotta drive them both to really see the difference. You'll walk in pro-acura, and come out all confused.

Doesn't matter now though, just put a deposit down on a fully loaded e39 540i around 40 minutes ago. And for the record, it is priced cheaper than a comparible 528i, with less options. :) Hope the old man will be happy.

DbIiRrTdY
05-15-2006, 09:55 PM
that is nice to do something like that for your dad.

Ital_325i
05-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Usually agree. But the STS is another group, it competes with the RL. Not the lowly TL. For it to be priced cheaper than the TL with a longer warranty, MUCH more comfort, luxury options, and way sexier interior... it's a steal! The new TL though.. well that's just sexy. You've gotta drive them both to really see the difference. You'll walk in pro-acura, and come out all confused.

Doesn't matter now though, just put a deposit down on a fully loaded e39 540i around 40 minutes ago. And for the record, it is priced cheaper than a comparible 528i, with less options. :) Hope the old man will be happy.

Happy Father's Day, My dad's getting some cigars. I have debts ya know.

propr'one
05-15-2006, 10:55 PM
*th-up*

Justin e36
05-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Happy Father's Day, My dad's getting some cigars. I have debts ya know.

So do I.. now even more debt. :( But he's not getting any younger, and he should be treated to a bit of luxury...that rusty old 410,000km pickup truck just isn't cutting it anymore. What am I going to do, wait another 20 years and treat my parents to some Grade A prune juice? ... rather they enjoyed themselves now; and I can work harder to get ahead. Maybe not the smartest thing to do on my part... but there are more important things to me than the dollar. :/

Yeah, it's about time I start looking for a job again. :)