PDA

View Full Version : Quebec car issue, again

Redster
05-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Last night I was talking to a few friends, and one of them wants to buy a car from Quebec. Some of us were telling him that UVIP here in ON won't tell him anything about the car unless it was registered here in ON, is that correct?

We were talking about mileage on that car (00 540 with 75,000km). Most of us agreed that the seller (private sale) could easily roll back the mileage, sell the car to someone in ON, and that person won't have any issues registering the car because even after buying UVIP it won't say anything about mileage, since the car was always in Quebec..?

Other then asking for service records, is there any other way he can check if the mileage is right?

I'll be driving him there next week to inspect the car, but he's really set on buying it.

Soldo
05-13-2006, 11:31 AM
No way to check if the mileage is right!

But the more and more i think about it, Quebec isn't TOO different from canadian laws. How hard would it be to change the speedo on a car over here to have it read a different mileage.

Usually Montreal cars tend to be extremely shady, and sometimes they do a decent job covering it up, other times they don't!

Nascar318is
05-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Go to this site, and look around. it's the bureau for plates. Odometer registring started in 2001 at the outlets.

http://www.saaq.qc.ca/en/

Good luck, also check with them($3 I think) to see if there is a lean on the car and what not(like car fax)

Redster
05-13-2006, 02:57 PM
So it's just matter of how lucky you are? A long time ago I bought a car in ON w 80k, went to transfer it and they told me they have 165k for that car as the mileage, not sure what happened later but I returned the car right away 9was private sale). I guess they can't check this with Quebec cars. We'll see if we can get any service records (recent).

Redster
05-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Go to this site, and look around. it's the bureau for plates. Odometer registring started in 2001 at the outlets.

http://www.saaq.qc.ca/en/

Good luck, also check with them($3 I think) to see if there is a lean on the car and what not(like car fax)

So depending on what province you're buying car from, you'd need to check there the mileage records, there is no "central" place that keeps track of mileage (when you buy sticker) in Canada?

Nascar318is
05-15-2006, 08:33 AM
^^ Don't know on that one. But everytime I went to register a car they asked me for my mileage, just to make sure nobody does odometer fraud. I bought my car with around 221,000KM, that was 3 years ago, now I'm at 260,000km but they know I take it off the road for the winter so they won't be sespicious(sp?) of Odometer roll back's.

Redster
05-15-2006, 08:45 AM
That works fine if you buy a car that's been in ON, on the UVIP it says reported mileage, but if the car is from any other province it just says that it was never registered in ON.