PDA

View Full Version : Engine light drama

simsima
05-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Please excuse the cross post from E46 but I need help. :eek:

This has been going on way too long. My engine light came on a couple of months back. There aren't any noticeable differences in the car other than the light.

The first time, they checked the code and replaced the gas cap. A few days later, the light came back on. My question to this is wouldn't they be able to run the scan after replacing the gas cap the first time to make sure it fixed the problem?

After taking it back the second time they replaced the charcoal filter. A day later the light came back on. The same code was read as the first time.

The third time they ran smoke through the system and couldn't find a leak. Now they want to replace over a dozen diffeent hoses on the car. The parts alone are > $600.

Does this seem completely unreasonable to anyone else? Does anyone have any advice on the matter?

stunned.

p.s. This is a dealership.

E46 - 2000 328i
simsima is online now Reply With Quote

Darkness95m3
05-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Please excuse the cross post from E46 but I need help. :eek:

This has been going on way too long. My engine light came on a couple of months back. There aren't any noticeable differences in the car other than the light.

The first time, they checked the code and replaced the gas cap. A few days later, the light came back on. My question to this is wouldn't they be able to run the scan after replacing the gas cap the first time to make sure it fixed the problem?

After taking it back the second time they replaced the charcoal filter. A day later the light came back on. The same code was read as the first time.

The third time they ran smoke through the system and couldn't find a leak. Now they want to replace over a dozen diffeent hoses on the car. The parts alone are > $600.

Does this seem completely unreasonable to anyone else? Does anyone have any advice on the matter?

stunned.

p.s. This is a dealership.

E46 - 2000 328i
simsima is online now Reply With Quote

Welcome to the world of BMW.

Going back to 1998 I spent over $3000 on my 318is.
The car would just go dead while driving.
After replacing every sensor, relay, fuel pumps and ignition components
they finally found out the problem was the computer. This was done by a BMW dealer. I was pissed.
Also to find out that the cause was initially caused by the BMW body shop, who plugged up my drainage hose and water leaked over the computer everytime it rained. The worst part of it I discovered the problem myself.
I would simply explain to them if you don't fix it I'm not paying for it.
Make sure it's written down in black and white.