PDA

View Full Version : New wheels bought here

BimmerGuyAB
05-12-2006, 06:07 PM
So I bought the 2 piece 16x7 wheels that liyunfat had for sale here in the classifieds. First off, Eric was great to deal with and the wheels and tires are in better shape than I was thinking (other than being dirty - who cares).

However, I mounted these on my '86 325e and although there is NO clearance issue in the rear, in the front I have a slight issue with the front strut clearance. Eric said that they fit his same car with no spacers, but on mine, I have maybe 2 mm of clearance.

They don't rub when I spin them, but I am worried about rubbing under load or hard cornering. Do I NEED spacers or what?

Thanks.

Brian

Mystikal
05-13-2006, 11:15 AM
The distance to the strut will not change during deflection.

You'll be fine. If you're paranoid, dismount the wheels after a few days of driving and check for contact.

BimmerGuyAB
05-15-2006, 01:46 AM
The clearance was pretty tight... like 1 business card tight. I ended up getting some generic 3 mm spacers from a local tuning shop just to ease my paranoia.

One of the wheels did actually rub, but that was caused by a slow leaking flat that caused the tire to get too fat and then rub.

Cheers.

Brian

EuroSpectacle
05-15-2006, 11:58 AM
I had that problem. Wierd thing was I had my summer e30 wheels with 205's and then my winters with 195's and the 195's rubbed. well not so much even the tire, the wheel weight rubbed against my left strut, Only under Extreme left side lock.

Miguel
05-15-2006, 09:08 PM
post pics of them mounted... i always predicted that they'd look pimp if polished

thinair
05-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Wheels do flex, but you have to really be trying. With my 19's I had about 3mm clearance to my struts, when I cornered really hard I could get the inside lip to contact the spring perch. Nothing major though. You're wheels are smaller diameter and have a lot more metal then mine, so I can't see flex being an issue.