PDA

View Full Version : importing 325i from States

WRXXX
05-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi

With the U.S exchange rate so low, I hv decided instead of leasing a new 325i, it would make more sense to buy one from the States.

My question is, does anybody know if the U.S version is any different from our Canadian version? Just want to make sure so that it meets Canadian standards. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ScotcH
05-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Search ... in the mean time, look at riv.ca for the vehicle eligibility list.

propr'one
05-12-2006, 01:41 PM
all bmw's are admissable except the 850 CSI

jstalin
05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
But don't you still have to pay canadian taxes on top of that?

propr'one
05-12-2006, 01:46 PM
yep, and 7% duties

punnzzells
05-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes, you will have to pay $100.00 for A/C , 6% Duty, 7% GST at the border before they release the car , if you ship it... and then when you go to plate it, 8% PST.

check the list to make sure it's legal in Canada... do a search.

WRXXX
05-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes, the U.S 325i is permissable in Canada. But I just want to know if there's any slight difference in the U.S version compare to ours such as headlights, airbags...etc that will need to be adjusted for Canadian standards. If they are identical, than it would be extremely easier.

I am familiar w/ the import duties. Put at it this way:

U.S 325i w/ sport package: USD$32500 (w/ $1500 discount included)
Exchange rate: 1.11
Total import taxes and duties: 21.1% based on the value of the car u pay in the states converted to Canadian $$.

Therefore, 32500 + 11% exchange rate = $36075 CDN + 21.1% (6.1% import tax, 7% GST, 8% GST) = $43,686.82 landed.

A new 325i w/ sport package in Canada will throw u $43,100 + Freight+PDI+dealer fees+15% taxes = roughly $51980 (assuming no discount).

Total savings: $8293.18. Even w/ a $2000 discount, it comes out to about $6,000 in savings for an hour drive to Buffalo.

Big difference.

jstalin
05-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah, that is quite the savings, let us know what happens

Manimillion
05-12-2006, 02:33 PM
I am surprised no one has mentioned this, but I am almost 100% sure that BMW will void your waranty as soon as you have imported your vehicle into Canada.

WRXXX
05-12-2006, 02:42 PM
^^^Called 3 BMW dealers in Toronto included BMW Canada HQ. They all cfm'd the warranty on US cars will be honored here.

M3ti Compact
05-12-2006, 02:57 PM
the US E90 325i doesn't come with Xenon lights, heated front seats, and fold down rear seats with ski passthrough.

These all come standard on the Canadian 325i's. You can of course, add them as options.

WRXXX
05-12-2006, 03:08 PM
^^^The US prix of $32500 incl. the sport package, HID, and heated seats.
I got that quote from a NY dealer.

Understated
05-12-2006, 03:33 PM
please keep us updated after you make your purchase....with the canadian dollar so high, it makes PERFECT sense to be doing this....

Darkness95m3
05-12-2006, 03:54 PM
You will save lots of money.
I bought my 95 M3 in 2003 for $12,000 Canadian with all of the taxes and dutie charges. That's 1/2 of what I would have paid if I bought one here.

There are a few items that you need to address to make the vehicle
1) Day time running lights. $15 fix buy parts from Canadian Tire
2) All lables must be labled both in english and French $150-$300
3) Recall notice from BMW USA any issues must be resolved before you can register the vehicle.
4) Papers claiming that there are no leans on the vehicle.

cisco911
05-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, the U.S 325i is permissable in Canada. But I just want to know if there's any slight difference in the U.S version compare to ours such as headlights, airbags...etc that will need to be adjusted for Canadian standards. If they are identical, than it would be extremely easier.

I am familiar w/ the import duties. Put at it this way:

U.S 325i w/ sport package: USD$32500 (w/ $1500 discount included)
Exchange rate: 1.11
Total import taxes and duties: 21.1% based on the value of the car u pay in the states converted to Canadian $$.

Therefore, 32500 + 11% exchange rate = $36075 CDN + 21.1% (6.1% import tax, 7% GST, 8% GST) = $43,686.82 landed.

A new 325i w/ sport package in Canada will throw u $43,100 + Freight+PDI+dealer fees+15% taxes = roughly $51980 (assuming no discount).

Total savings: $8293.18. Even w/ a $2000 discount, it comes out to about $6,000 in savings for an hour drive to Buffalo.

Big difference.

Aren't we forgetting the tax you pay in the states? I think new york is 10% (or is that florida), so don't we have to add that to the 32500???? And won't you have to pay PDI, frieght, dealer fees in the states as well
?

Bmwstylz
05-13-2006, 12:24 AM
if he's exporting it he wont' have to pay local tax since he's not registering the car in NY.

Crazy4Banger
05-13-2006, 12:36 AM
The more expensive the car the more money you save.

M3ti Compact
05-13-2006, 09:05 AM
if he's exporting it he wont' have to pay local tax since he's not registering the car in NY.

You'll have to double check that. I remember watching an episode of King of Cars where some guy wanted to do the same thing, but had to pay the local taxes in the end.

But maybe it's different in different states.

M3ti Compact
05-13-2006, 09:13 AM
One more thing...my dad's place imports grey market Scions for sale from the US. By the time they get them over here, converted, certified, etc, they are at $25,000 and they are hardly making any money off them at this price.

fob
05-13-2006, 11:13 AM
One more thing...my dad's place imports grey market Scions for sale from the US. By the time they get them over here, converted, certified, etc, they are at $25,000 and they are hardly making any money off them at this price.

You mean that we can legally drive Scions in Canada? I was sure they were not admissible to canada.

Bmwstylz
05-13-2006, 01:04 PM

Bullshit, why would they go to the hassle of importing them to make "hardly any money?"

My friend's dad used to import Beetles, PT Cruisers, etc etc. when they were sold out in canada and he would make about 10 grand a vehicle. Your dad must be making at least 5 grand a pop...

M3ti Compact
05-13-2006, 04:49 PM
You mean that we can legally drive Scions in Canada? I was sure they were not admissible to canada.

Yeah...xA's and xB's are allowed. xA's are rarer in Canada as they look like ordinary everyday cars so no one bothers to import them.

M3ti Compact
05-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Bullshit, why would they go to the hassle of importing them to make "hardly any money?"

My friend's dad used to import Beetles, PT Cruisers, etc etc. when they were sold out in canada and he would make about 10 grand a vehicle. Your dad must be making at least 5 grand a pop...

The difference between Scions and Beetles and PT's is that people actually wanted them. The Scions sit in the lot for weeks, tying up space for other cars that sell faster, gathering interest, and wasting personnel time etc with people wanting test drives for the fun of it with no intent to buy, and finally they get sold at well below their asking price the dealer was hoping for.

Anyways, I asked my dad why they think they can get away with selling a $15k car for $25, and his answer was that that's essentially what it cost them to buy and resell it. He works there and sells these for a living. I have no reason to question his answer.

WRXXX
05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Basically u just pay the U.S dealer the invoice prix. No taxes, freight or PDI if importing to Canada. Checked that w/ the U.S customs dept.
U just need to pay the 21.1% taxes (6.1% import tax, 15% GST/PST) based on the invoice prix converted over to Candian dollars when u are over at the Canadian customs side.

I have a friend that just imported a '06 STI. Saved over $17,000 from buying it here.

Anyways, I hv decided to do the same on a new 2006 325i. Will let u guys know how it went.

LBV
05-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I've been thinking about this whole topic lately ... I wanna see how BMW Canada prices the new 335i ... I betcha it'll be worth buying in the States.

You may wanna wait until July 1st and save another 1% too btw.

totalstu
05-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Ok, first time poster. Been lurking for a while. Considering a BMW though want/need, etc. is at issue. Anyways that is for another discussion. This here is very interesting. So now that I/we know how to determine the cost. How does it work procedurely.

1) You find your way down to wherever to pay and pickup the car. Do you get to drive it to the border? Without license plates or do you need to some permit or whatever? At what cost if applicable?

2) You do your thing at the border and all goes well. Do you get to drive it home? Without plates or do you need to also get a permit? If yes, how much, where, etc.

3) You wait for letter/form which determines what mods it needs, get them done, and get the letter/form stamped.

4) Go to MTO, register, pay, get plates, drive off.

If the warranty is honoured does that also mean the maintenance free period is also honoured, etc?

This gets even more interesting if the anaylysts/soothsayers are correct in saying the Canadian dollar is going to rise further. It's kind of crazy the price we pay for some things up here.

Thanks

sjinto
05-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Some new car dealers in the US require the owner to sign a non-export agreement.

This is only the case on new cars - used cars you're home free (as far as I know)... I think the car has to be at least one year old

Can anyone confirm or expand on this?

icedragon
05-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Good luck with your purchase in the states.

Yes, the Canadian 325i is more expensive than the US 325i, but you get what your pay for.

Keep in mind the differences between the Canadian VS US 325i in that the Canadian version has

-standard Xenon headlights
-standard cold weather package
-guaranteed to be built in Germany

US 325i does not have these standard options, and most are built in South Africa.
Nothing wrong with South Africa, but obviously, they have lower labour rates and lacks the psychological allure of a German-built car =)

Please let us kno how it goes.

icedragon
05-20-2006, 02:47 PM
If I ever save enough for a Porsche, I will buy it from the States.
For example, the Canadian and US Cayman S have the same standard options and are German-built, but there is a HUGE price difference.

d12
05-22-2006, 02:27 AM
i been thinking about this alot too... does anyone in here seccessfully transfered a car from states ? you can save alot of $ with the dollar going down

propr'one
05-22-2006, 02:37 AM
totalstu

You can wire the dealership the money, they'll fedex you the ownership. You take the ownership to MTO and get plates, fly down to the states, plate the car at the dealer and drive home. or you can have it shipped here

warranty issue is a good question. BMWF1 or whatever the smartass guy with the Z3's nick is said he's had his car (which is registered in NY i believe) serviced in canada and vice versa, mabye he can englighten you.

sirex
05-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Get an Indian friend that way you dont need to pay taxes at all in canada.

BMWF1
05-22-2006, 10:23 PM
totalstu

You can wire the dealership the money, they'll fedex you the ownership. You take the ownership to MTO and get plates, fly down to the states, plate the car at the dealer and drive home. or you can have it shipped here

warranty issue is a good question. BMWF1 or whatever the smartass guy with the Z3's nick is said he's had his car (which is registered in NY i believe) serviced in canada and vice versa, mabye he can englighten you.

what??? and i'm in Michigan

Zim Zimma
05-23-2006, 12:29 AM
I work for a company that is starting to import Cars from the states.... We deal with Manheim Guaranteed Auctions..so the cars are guranteed... Pm me if you want some more info. ( right now were just looking at bmw's).

ScotcH
05-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Get an Indian friend that way you dont need to pay taxes at all in canada.

Sure, but there your Indian friend owns your car :)