PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a place where they teach you how to drive stick shift???Please Read

Sapphire87
05-12-2006, 11:49 AM
I am planning on buying a Manual car in the near future (Toyota Supra). But, I want to learn how to drive manual before I buy it. I want to learn either from a professional or someone with a lot of experience. I am located 25 miles south of Chicago in the Orland Park area. If anyone knows of a place please tell me! Thanks!

jstalin
05-12-2006, 11:51 AM
best thing to do is just rent one and take it out in some field & learn the old fashioned way

AlpWhitE46
05-12-2006, 12:23 PM
I am planning on buying a Manual car in the near future (Toyota Supra). But, I want to learn how to drive manual before I buy it. I want to learn either from a professional or someone with a lot of experience. I am located 25 miles south of Chicago in the Orland Park area. If anyone knows of a place please tell me! Thanks!

I don't understand...
Do you want to learn ...the basics of driving stick, or do you want to learn EVERYTHING there is about driving sticking? (heel-toe) etc.

propr'one
05-12-2006, 12:53 PM
If you were in toronto, i'd have you contact shifters. Take a driving course, im sure their available. People will talk shit, but who cares? at least i didn't develop too many bad habits driving. (riding the clutch, etc)

Axxe
05-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Buy a shitbox honda civic 5 spd, learn how to drive, then pick up a supra. Seriously, it will make you appreciate the supra that much more, and it will teach you how to drive properly before you go out and wreck a 400 + hp RWD car.

e36chick
05-12-2006, 04:02 PM
just learn yourself, that's what i did...it's not hard.

kzy
05-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I just took 2 driving lessons from some random driving school in a stick car. After 2 hours I knew all I needed to know, and got my first stick car. Then again my car was no supra. As someone else mentioned practice on a beater for a while before stepping into a rwd car with high hp/torque.

Darkness95m3
05-12-2006, 04:46 PM
It's very easy.
Might be a little nerve wrecking the first few times, after that it's a walk in the park.

BMWags
05-12-2006, 05:08 PM
go to a driving school

Manimillion
05-12-2006, 05:15 PM
One advice, there is a dead pedal/foot rest beside the clutch for a reason.

e36chick
05-12-2006, 05:20 PM
One advice, there is a dead pedal/foot rest beside the clutch for a reason.

whats up with that? ive never used it.

1BADBMR
05-12-2006, 09:15 PM
just learn yourself, that's what i did...it's not hard.

Its true. I bought my first bimmer not knowing how to drive it (manual trans)
But after awhile you'll catch on. If your worried about stalling....don't*no-no*
It happens to even some of the best drivers.

static
05-12-2006, 09:54 PM
"just learn yourself" <- BAD ADVICE!

i learned myself: almost up till now i have been: shortshifting, riding the clutch (when Randy saw my driving, he told me he would bungie my left foot to the seat), always clutch in when using brakes, no revmatching when downshifting :eek: , etc... otherwords - selfmade a shifting moron out of myself

"Go to drivig school" <- GOOD ADVICE
i have learned to use all these things from my instructor, have yet to learn heel-toe - but on the contrary to what many would say, it is not necessary for everyday driving

Alex

Bmwstylz
05-13-2006, 01:15 AM
agree with the others - go to a driving school and learn the right way.

So many of my friends - ride the clutch, short shift, power shift wayyy too fast "we aren't filming fast and the furious" and just generally abuse their cars.

T.Dot_E30
05-13-2006, 10:44 AM
i learned myself: almost up till now i have been: shortshifting, riding the clutch (when Randy saw my driving, he told me he would bungie my left foot to the seat), always clutch in when using brakes, no revmatching when downshifting :eek: , etc... otherwords - selfmade a shifting moron out of myself

Alex

Glad to see you've been learning some stuff now that you have the s50. I picked up on a few of your bad habits on the short drive in your car, but didn't wanna say anyhting.

*th-up*

But ya, everyone is different....there is no set way to learning to drive stick, some people pick it up quickly, some take time and practise to learn.

Sapphire87
05-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice.... I have decided I am going to buy a cheap manual car at first and learn how to drive, then buy the supra once I have enough experience. Thanks again!

BlitzSix
05-16-2006, 10:30 AM
What's short shifting?

And do you guys use teh dead pedal ALWAYS? Like for me while I'm accelerating during shifts 1,2,3, and 4 I just keep my foot an inch from the clutch pedal, and once I'm curising THEN i move it to the dead pedal. Is this okay or should I always move it to the dead pedal even if I'mg onna be shifting again in like 3 seconds ?

e36chick
05-16-2006, 10:35 AM
"just learn yourself" <- BAD ADVICE!

maybe in he beginning, but i don't do these things now...i think you learn what is the right thing by the response of the car, given a little time..