PDA

View Full Version : Can you dye BMW leather seats?

E34Mike
05-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey guys!

I recently purchased BigD's 92 M5 beast. Anyway, I swapped out the sparcos for the comfort of the leathers.. Although aesthetically the seats are pretty excellent, the driver seat has a bit of a "hole" in it..As in you kind of sink to one side when seated.. Anyway this leads to some discomfort. So I was thinking of swapping in an entire Black 535 interior that Lee from Ottawa has so kindly decided to donate to me in my hour of need..SO.. I was thinking if possible I could just have the black 535 seats dyed white to match the interior of the M5.. Is this at all possible? As this would be preferred to the laborious option of swapping out the entire interior..ALSO I would much rather keep the interior white for originality and over all "pimpness" Also, Dmitry said he would bench press me through a roof or something if I changed it..No, no just kidding.

Anyway..Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Mike K

FastM3
05-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Congrats on the car! I haven't seen pics so please post!

Anyways, are you looking to dye the entire seat or fix some spots?

E34Mike
05-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks man..I will post some soon..I want to dye the entire seat.

Justin e36
05-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Congrats on purchasing one amazing car, been in it a few times myself. That passenger seat squished my ass cheeks though.. god damn it.

Yes you can dye BMW leather seats. But you can only go darker, not lighter. Your best bet is to swap with someone who either wants black seats, or have them re-uphostered. Bleaching black seats will usually end up with the seats looking more purple than white. Also note that most BMW seats are leatherette (faux leather) not true leather.

Understated
05-10-2006, 12:24 AM
i've seen black to beige done....someone on e46 fanatics did it...it took i dunno HOW many coats but end result was decent :)

E34Mike
05-10-2006, 02:12 AM
Thanks man..yea it is! And yes that seat is toight. What do you think it would cost to re-upholster? Any shops you know of that could do that?

ara325
05-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Auto Trim Shop in Thornill (John St.) re-did my whole interior with real leather including:

Front sport seats
Front door planels
Reat seats
Rear panels
Parcel shelf

I think I paid ~ $2200 for the whole job. They did an awesome job too and it took about 10 days...but they can give you temporary seats if you don't want to leave your car. You can find them on toronto.com or search for Auto Trim Shop.

topspd
05-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Take a look at this place http://www.leatherique.com/index.htm
They have a Canadian distributor too. I've never used it, but I think it might be what the used car dealers use to recondition leather.

NickP
05-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Take a look at this place http://www.leatherique.com/index.htm
They have a Canadian distributor too. I've never used it, but I think it might be what the used car dealers use to recondition leather.
That will work for the leather parts of the seats however I believe some of the seat is also vinyl - the process won't work on that vinyl part.

E34Mike
05-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Very interesting.. Thanks Ara..I will give them a call.. Do you have any pics?

ara325
05-12-2006, 12:21 PM

I can post some tonight when I get home. I think you'll like it.*th-up*

ara325
05-13-2006, 01:14 PM

ear u gho

btw, how do i post multiple pics in one thread?

E34Mike
05-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Looks good man, thanks.. I will let you know what happens..

ara325
05-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Looks good man, thanks.. I will let you know what happens..

I'd be interested in seeing some before and after shots. Do you have any pics of the seats right now?