PDA

View Full Version : BMW Night Vision

digiital
05-09-2006, 09:26 PM
BMW Night Vision (video)

BMW has released a video of BMW 7 Series Night Vision System with FIR (infrared) camera in front air dam.

Video includes night driving scene with a jogger and a skater on the road. Infrared image is displayed on the on-board monitor.

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/BMW_Night_Vision_video

Justin e36
05-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Cadillac already has this. So does Justin's e36. :P I find mounting it behind the kidney grill offers a better view than the air dam.

Gamite
05-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Cadillac already has this. So does Justin's e36. :P I find mounting it behind the kidney grill offers a better view than the air dam.

show us mofo

Justin e36
05-10-2006, 01:12 AM
show us mofo

I'll make a video. It's no different than the infra-red reverse cam, except it's forward facing and the IR's are arranged differently. When I'm done watching Conan in Chicago I'll go make a video with the digicam.

The other problem with the air dam is water/snow... the IR and folights light up the droplets and snow and the cam gets blinded by white in those conditions. This happens quite a bit less when behind the kidney grills.

Gamite
05-10-2006, 01:13 AM
screw conan, make now.

Justin e36
05-10-2006, 01:15 AM
hell no... Dave Chapelle is going to be on, besides... I'm still eating. :)

SickFinga
05-10-2006, 02:00 AM
Damn, what a useless device.
Who is looking at their console while driving all the time??

AMG_POWER
05-10-2006, 02:32 AM
yea i'd run them over both while i would look at the Idrive screen OPS!

I find Mercedes Nightvision is better located and still i think it is kinda disturbs you fron the road.

And what aabout high beams? Cant you freaking put them on.

Justin e36
05-10-2006, 06:08 AM
I agree. It's pretty much useless unless all your lights die suddenly and you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with no streetlights. IR reverse cam on the other hand, I use all the time.. even when not reversing. That thing is a life saver.

Darkness95m3
05-10-2006, 08:46 AM
I agree. It's pretty much useless unless all your lights die suddenly and you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with no streetlights. IR reverse cam on the other hand, I use all the time.. even when not reversing. That thing is a life saver.

Is this all located in your e36?

EuroSpectacle
05-10-2006, 11:00 AM
hes quickly dismantleing a caddie

super Justin to the rescue.

NickP
05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I wonder how handy that will be in spotting hidden cruisers at night.

Justin e36
05-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Is this all located in your e36?

yeah, my car has a bunch of stupid stuff in it.

I wonder how handy that will be in spotting hidden cruisers at night.

Not very. The BMW demo is misleading, in the demo the IR light is aimed towards the side of the road, where your headlights are not aimed... that's why those objects show up on screen, though not visible from the driver's seat.. the headlights are simply not aimed there. (ever drive on a country road at night? you only see what's in your headlight beam, anything else is unknown.) My IR lights are aimed directly ahead of the car instead.

Installing an infra-red *thermal* camera will have anything with heat show up in yellow/red.. including cop cars to the side of the road... and I think this would be much better when driving country roads at night to show of any possible animals/people that are at the side of the road, that might walk in your path.

The IR light is invisible to us, but shows up super bright with any camera... shine IR lights on your license plates, and it'll look normal to us.. but washed out white by other cameras. (including cop cameras / intersection cameras / tollbooth ETR cameras) The IR light from an oncoming car will also blind your nightvision cam. It attracts a lot of bugs/insects... I always have a swarm of tiny bugs following my car in the summer... either that, or the car needs a bath, really bad.

propr'one
05-10-2006, 03:36 PM
i just have my HID's horribly missaligned ( the right one points way too far right, and they're too high) that's my nightvision:D

Justin e36
05-10-2006, 04:57 PM
show us mofo

you should love me for the things I do in the middle of the night for you... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=802049#post802049)

98Dinan3
05-10-2006, 10:44 PM
I just drive around wearing nightvision goggles.:cool: