PDA

View Full Version : BMW antifreeze

Darkness95m3
05-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I have always been using BMW antifreeze in my vehicles. However it has caused me more headaches then its worth.
Last Friday the wife and I were cruising around looking for patio stones.
While climbing a steep hill I noticed my temperature gauge climbing.
However I never smelled anything out of the ordinary. Once we got to the top of the hill the gauge went back to normal. Just to make sure I kept my eye on the oil temperature, it hovered around 200.
I looked in the back of the vehicle and no sign of liquid trail behind us and then without warning the temperature gauge started to climb. We pulled into a gas station and once I opened the hood noticed everything was wet. Upon further investigation we found out that the fill reservoir bottle was cracked from top to bottom, WTF.
With 4min epoxy and duct tape we were on our way home. The last time this happened was at the Wasaga cruise. My neck on the 540 snapped again no smell.
Also every time something goes bad with my cooling system other components suffer.
When my 540 rad neck snapped I also had to replace one of the xeon power converters.
On my M3 I now have an air bag light on. Plus it doesn’t sound so good, either the belt once soaked in antifreeze starts to make wired noises or I have bad pulleys or both.
Has this happened to anyone else?

I know when my Ford E350 van overheated I could smell the antifreeze for miles.

M3ti Compact
05-09-2006, 09:03 PM
My mechanic put in regular (green) antifreeze the last flush. This time around, I put in BMW, and the temp gauge now settles at about 3mm cooler than before!

We also noticed there was the beginnings of sludge building, so luckily I got the change done before this got worse.

FastM3
05-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Some people won't believe it but BMW Coolant is better!
Like M3ti said, it will reduce any sludge or dirt buildup and it will usually make your car run a little cooler, but depending on how the car is overall is also important.

bmw_tech84
05-09-2006, 09:34 PM
bmw coolant is great. i use it in all my cars and my parents cars and it works great.As for the temperture climbing when you go up a hill there must be something else wrong. Also the rad neck cracking is a common problem on those rads. yes if coolant goes on the belts it will cause a squeaking but if u rinse with water it should go away

Andy E34
05-09-2006, 11:01 PM
I was told non BMW antifreeze (depending on type) can also cause premature head gasket failure? I'm sticking to BMW coolant

Justin e36
05-10-2006, 12:01 AM
A previous post of mine:

Actually, I stay very very far away from BMW coolant. m42 engines built prior to 11/93 have defective Timing Case Profile Gaskets... (some people incorrectly call it the head gasket). In either case, out of nowhere the gasket will leak and dump all your coolant on the floor leaving your stranded. Tedious job to dismantle the engine, scrape off the old gasket/clean it, and re-seal it again.. then put the engine back together. Not to mention, quite expensive to do as well.

My m42 gasket began dripping 3 years ago during winter. I brought my car into a car wash booth immediately and did a coolant flush and switched to a Silicate Free + Nitrite Free coolant, I added a stop-leak additive. After around 5 mins of the engine running, leak was gone. And it still is.

The problem is, BMW coolant is not Silicate Free.. it's only Nitrate Free. And for owners like myself, that spells trouble.

So while for some people, the aftermarket coolants can damage your headgasket or radiator, for owners like myself, it's the opposite.

Darkness95m3 - You did get the updated coolant cap from the dealership, right? There was a recall at BMW because of this problem, they have a new cap to relieve additional pressure to prevent the reservoir from cracking.

DbIiRrTdY
05-10-2006, 12:06 AM
justin, as always you are a wealth of knowledge!

"The problem is, BMW coolant is not Silicate Free.. it's only Nitrate Free. And for owners like myself, that spells trouble."

What coolant is Silicate and Nitrate free?

grievous
05-10-2006, 12:41 AM
"Darkness95m3 - You did get the updated coolant cap from the dealership, right? There was a recall at BMW because of this problem, they have a new cap to relieve additional pressure to prevent the reservoir from cracking."

which model/year did this recall apply to? what psi did they drop to, so i can check if i have the updated one or not (if it applies)? thx

-dennis

Darkness95m3
05-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Darkness95m3 - You did get the updated coolant cap from the dealership, right? There was a recall at BMW because of this problem, they have a new cap to relieve additional pressure to prevent the reservoir from cracking.

I was never aware of this. Thanks.

Also what antifreeze do you use?

EuroSpectacle
05-10-2006, 11:09 AM
super antifreeze.. he brews it himself. Combination of spit and urine.

Darkness95m3
05-10-2006, 02:10 PM
super antifreeze.. he brews it himself. Combination of spit and urine.

Sounds to expensive for me.

EuroSpectacle
05-10-2006, 02:18 PM
it is... its justins urine, it will immediatly make you smarter when sniffed.

Justin e36
05-10-2006, 05:21 PM
DbIiRrTdY - Castrol Heavy Duty 50/50 is phosphate-free, silicate-free, nitrite-free, and borate-free.

Prestone GM coolant is Silicate & Phosphate free... but not nitrate free. (opposite of BMW coolant).

grievous - I don't have the recall notice on me, but you can call the dealership to find out. I'll check the PSI rating on my cap when I head back outside.

Darkness95m3 + EuroSpectacle: *mumble* :P

Darkness95m3
05-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Darkness95m3 + EuroSpectacle: *mumble* :P

Be nice.
:)

EuroSpectacle
05-11-2006, 11:39 AM
haha.

grievous
05-11-2006, 11:33 PM
grievous - I don't have the recall notice on me, but you can call the dealership to find out. I'll check the PSI rating on my cap when I head back outside.

thx man, appreciate it. if you dont get around to it, no biggy. i'll stop by the dealership in the next few days, not too far from my work.