PDA

View Full Version : Fixed it..then made it worse!

Redster
05-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Long story short, my cd changer was not working, radio and tape were fine. After 5-10 minutes of playing noise would start from the rear speakers, as if there was a short.

Anyway, I just sepnt 2h trying to fix this, and in the first 10 minutes I got cd changer to work. I took it out and saw a small connector in the back (3 wires) was broken, so wiresd were loosing connection. I tried holding it straign and cd changer started working (it was reading cds, playing them etc). Well I took those 3 wires out so I can solder them back into the connector and I *guess* they touched eachother or metal a few times. Now the whole radio doesn't work! Info center (fuel consuption, date, time etc.) works fine. When I press phone button that works too (it just says there no phone connected to the cable, and there isn't one there).

When i try to turn on the radio - nothing. CD changer doesn't want to eject the cd holder, tape doesn't work. It seems like amp, or whatever is 'in charge' there, has no power.

I checked fuses in the glove box, it says radio is 25 43 44. Well those same fuses are also for steering wheel controls, phone, and that info center (that's part of the radio unit), and all those work fine. I tried changing the fuses anyway - nothing.

I also tried changing that fuse behind the cd changer (3amps), nothing.

I took out the amp as well, to see if there are any fuses there, nothing there.

Where to look next??

Redster
05-07-2006, 03:40 PM
One thing that I was thinking about was anti theft system. Fuses I checked seem fine, but if the unit lost power for some reason, would anti theft activate? If that's the case, would cd changer keep the tray inside and not want to eject it??

Maybe there are some other fuses somewhere for this? Could that short cause amp to just die..?

I just can't think of anything else, or where to look. If I didn't fix it I'd be ok, but now I know it works and can't get it to work again!

Redster
05-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Here's something I would do, BUT I'd like to put the deck behind those pop-up doors. So would it be possible but leave OBC connected, just take out the tape deck, and instal new deck there?

I assume that with this instal I could just take out OEM amp and cd changer, because I'd put in aftermarket amp and connect it (and the deck) with stock speakers (or maybe change them too).

Here's the pic:

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/7901/0017pm.jpg

What do you think?

Justin e36
05-07-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm 95% sure there is a fuse at the back of the deck, or inside it as well. This would blow before the deck does. Check that next.

Redster
05-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Would that cause CD changer to stop working too? Because it won't eject cd tray. So OBC works 100%, radio/tape/changer are dead. The 3 fuses in the glove box for the radio (25, 43, 44) are ok. Fuse in the back of the cd changer is also fine.

Can someone confirm that there's fuse behind the radio..just so I don't open everything there for nothing.

How would I take the radio (tape unit I guess) out? Do I need to take cup holders out first and work my way up?

Redster
05-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Also, did anyone ever try to put aftermarket cd player behind those doors? I wonder if there's enough room so they could still be closed? I know I'd have to improvise when it comes ti bracket, but I get the keep OBC, wheel controls, and you can't even see the aftermarket stuff when the doors are closed, I think it's worth a try.