PDA

View Full Version : Dynoed Car Today!!!!

cisco911
05-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Well, one of my friends had done some spring mods to his Mazdaspeed Protege and wanted to go for a dyno run(he gained 37 whp). So he called up some buddies to see if they wanted to dyno so that maybe we could get a group buy type of deal. A couple of my friends said yes and I was just chilling today so I said why not, lets see what my 330 puts out at the wheels.

I ended up with 196.48 whp and 203.83 torque. I'm guessing this should be pretty standard for a 330, but I just wanted to see what other people had put down at the wheels at stock. I was actually alittle surprised since I was expecting around 190 since I have 100k+ kms on the car. Regardless, I was pretty happy with the results*wave*

thinair
05-06-2006, 10:08 PM
congrats, those are pretty strong numbers, like e36 M3ish.

Mystikal
05-07-2006, 10:32 AM
There is absolutely no point comparing your numbers to other people's, there are significant variables. In fact simple number runs like you did serve no real purpose; dynos are for tuning, not HP figures.

djcontra
05-07-2006, 11:42 AM
In fact simple number runs like you did serve no real purpose

I have to disagree with that statement. Everyone should know their baseline dyno figures before they begin to mod their car so they can have a better idea of what these mods are doing for or against them. I can see this not being important to some, but many people would be interested to know what their mods are doing. *th-up*

Soldo
05-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Jays just being a bitch, cause he knows that although his car is HOT..... his lacking in the power department!!!

330ci05
05-07-2006, 12:03 PM
There is absolutely no point comparing your numbers to other people's, there are significant variables. In fact simple number runs like you did serve no real purpose; dynos are for tuning, not HP figures.

what do u mean by TUNING?

cisco911
05-07-2006, 12:59 PM

Comparing to other people's figures does not matter, but its good to know where your baseline is. Besides, every 330 (or any other car) will have different WHP figures because no two engines are exactly the same. I'm sure there are 330 engines out there that put out less and engines that put out more at stock. Thats why I ask other people's results to see what other 330 own's experiences had been. And yes, there are an infinite amount of variable such as altitude, temperature, the actual dyno, wheel size, etc. The variables are so infinite that it is almost impossible to produce the same exact results twice. I didn't go to prove anything, I went for jokes and to get a baseline so I have one if or when I do engine mods/upgrades.

Besides..... I went and put down the best numbers out of my buddies so that didn't hurt either(have to represent the Bimmers).*uzi*

Mystikal
05-07-2006, 11:57 PM
This "baseline" you guys speak of is useless except for the day you do it at the time it was done, for the purpose of immediate changes done afterwards. Your car will NOT register the same results on another day, and will NOT register the same results on any other dyno.

The only functional reason to get a baseline is to make changes to hardware or software immediately afterwards without moving the car in a reasonable amount of time, or it is useless to make any sort of comparisons.

You could theoretically get this "baseline" one day, throw a part on, go for a run the next day, and get lower results. Now, if you had done both runs in the same session you'd actually have something worthwhile, but for all you know the car actually gained 5hp but other variables caused your final reading to be even lower than stock. As I said, single dyno runs just to see your numbers serve no purpose, other than just for fun. Although I still don't have much fun paying for test results that I can't use for anything.

fob
05-08-2006, 12:58 AM
what do u mean by TUNING?

Correct me if I'm wrong but when you do some upgrades there are things to adjust to have the MAX HP from your upgrades like when you go FI with a standalone EMS you must tune all the settings to have the best performance.

Soldo
05-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Jay, i think the mods they're refering too aren't something like tossing an K&N on your car and then dyno'ing it again.

You get a baseline done, to see how your doing. OBVIOUSLY theres all sorts of different variables, but if you were to do some big mods like cams, headers out, or SC later on, and then dyno the car TRYING to keep somewhat similar variables (ie: SIMILAR temperature, SAME DYNO location, same wheels) you should get a FAILY decent reading on the upgrades done!

Mystikal
05-08-2006, 11:02 AM
There's no possible way to control the weather, including things more complicated than temperature like barometric pressure and humidity. Plus, things like filters, bearings, and other wear items will become less efficient with more mileage, so when you add it all up it is pointless to compare ANY dyno run.

cisco911
05-08-2006, 11:21 AM
There's no possible way to control the weather, including things more complicated than temperature like barometric pressure and humidity. Plus, things like filters, bearings, and other wear items will become less efficient with more mileage, so when you add it all up it is pointless to compare ANY dyno run.

With your theory, there would then be no point at all in dynoing a car. Anything that can be done within hours like an intake and exhaust will produce minimal gains that would be irrelevant(especially with the constantly changing variables). Also, lets see you do an engine swap, or do a full FI kit or an engine rebuild in a couple of hours so that you can go to the dyno and do anothe run. This is impossible and under your theory would then make it pointless to go dyno your car after doing these mods and dynoing it days, weeks, months later.

The purpose of a dyno is to give you a rough idea of where you are at. Thats why when you dyno you always do multiple runs so you get different numbers to reach an average. The numbers I posted where my high numbers. The other runs were .5 to 1.1 hp less. The only thing I do agree with you on is that dynoing your car after doing simple mods like an air intake or something that provides small gains is pointless because the power gain is too small to outweigh the variables. However, if you drop in a FI kit that is suppose to give you an extra 75 to 100 whp(thats why manufacturers give numbers ina range...because of the variables), then yes a dyno is definately in order not only to tune the vehicle(if tuning is available with that system) and to see if the kit is actually performing to the specifications that the manufacturer has stated. There was someone on the board who had issues with an AA kit. Without the dyno(and the fact that his car ran like crap), he would not have known the seriousness of the problem.

Lastly...does anyone know why Mystikal is so serious?????:huh?:

Soldo
05-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Like i said, hes just jealous cause hes lackin in the power department!
tee hee

Mystikal
05-09-2006, 12:53 AM
Sounds like fun.

With your theory, there would then be no point at all in dynoing a car. Anything that can be done within hours like an intake and exhaust will produce minimal gains that would be irrelevant(especially with the constantly changing variables).
Untrue. There are plenty of guys on here who spend $1k on exhausts that add 3hp. And the variables will not be a signficant factor within an hour or two (more than enough time for most mods). Also, I stated that the point of putting a car on a dyno is to analyze A/F and other readings, and tune it with some form of ignition/fuel/etc controllers to optimize the power. It's not for getting numbers at all.

Also, lets see you do an engine swap, or do a full FI kit or an engine rebuild in a couple of hours so that you can go to the dyno and do anothe run. This is impossible and under your theory would then make it pointless to go dyno your car after doing these mods and dynoing it days, weeks, months later.
You're right. If someone does a major modification that takes more than an hour or so, it is useless to compare it to the first run. As I said, dynos are not to measure gains or get figures, it is for tuning.

The purpose of a dyno is to give you a rough idea of where you are at. Thats why when you dyno you always do multiple runs so you get different numbers to reach an average. The numbers I posted where my high numbers. The other runs were .5 to 1.1 hp less.
That's not the functional point of a dyno at all. It's just what bench racers are willing to spend money on (bragging rights), so the shops offer it. Yes the multiple runs are used to test for consistency and filter out any odd variables, but they have nothing to do with providing rough ideas on power.

However, if you drop in a FI kit that is suppose to give you an extra 75 to 100 whp(thats why manufacturers give numbers ina range...because of the variables), then yes a dyno is definately in order not only to tune the vehicle(if tuning is available with that system) and to see if the kit is actually performing to the specifications that the manufacturer has stated. There was someone on the board who had issues with an AA kit. Without the dyno(and the fact that his car ran like crap), he would not have known the seriousness of the problem.
It would be impossible to test how much power an FI kit adds, it takes too long to assemble it. There is no feasible way to measure the gains in a situation like this. Now looking at the curves (A/F, EGT, HP/TRQ, etc) and examining them to find clues as to why the car isn't performing up to spec, then making live adjustments, that's important. But to just get power numbers and walk away doesn't tell you a thing, really. You're still as clueless as when you went in, just with a deflated ego.

Lastly...does anyone know why Mystikal is so serious?????:huh?:
Lack of classes. I need to vent analytical thought processes somewhere in the off-season.

Furious
05-09-2006, 01:04 AM
mystikal is right, edit-i would like to add that knowing your HP and torque numbers are great and they are the flashyness of the dyno's but for guys like me im more concerned about the A/F curves

/thread

cisco911
05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
mystikal is right, edit-i would like to add that knowing your HP and torque numbers are great and they are the flashyness of the dyno's but for guys like me im more concerned about the A/F curves

/thread

And why are you concerned with youe A/F curves??? Maybe because you want to make sure your not running to rich or too lean(which could result in damage to the engine), but in fact you want to make sure that your curves are optimally set in order to produce the max amount of power. The whole purpose of tuning a car (which is the true purpose of a dyno) is to make adjustments in order to max the potential of the engine and the dyno allows you to make the adjustments and provide you with hp/trq figures to see if your on the right path. Anyone that has seen a tuner make adjustments to a car knows that sometimes it takes hours of dyno time making small incrimental changes in order to reach the max potential of the engine. This being said, max potential all depends on the purpose of the vehicle. Depending on whether its for track use or for 1/4 mile could mean two totally different things.

Mystikal, its almost summer time...you don't have classes...give the brain a rest dude, your gonna burn out on us!!*uzi*

Lastly, remember that I did the dyno not to get concrete numbers, but for jokes and yes some people might think that its a waste of money, but so is smoking and many many other things that we humans do. Just because I dynoed 196 I'm not gonna go around saying "well you only put down 190whp so I should take you!!!" There are soooo many variables in driving!!! I've actually taken a 911 turbo off a red light in my old 1.6L civic...LMAO....okay so the old guy stalled at the lights...but I still beat him with 100 hp because he didn't know how to drive. Its not about how much power you have...its about knowing how to use it*wave*

King Luis
05-09-2006, 11:14 AM
little OT...well not really.
your friend in the MSP...what does he have done and how much power was he putting out?
did he do a baseline?

cisco911
05-09-2006, 11:26 AM
little OT...well not really.
your friend in the MSP...what does he have done and how much power was he putting out?
did he do a baseline?

He dynoed the car last november. He dynoed 146hp and 165trq at the wheels. He did hardpipes, bigger side mount intercooler, injen CAI, and a uni-chip. He dynoed 175hp and 198 trq at the wheels. The unichip comes with regular boost and high boost settings(flip switch) and two map settings(also flip switch activated). And just so mystikal doesn't get upset again, he also did the dyno to check is A/F with the different settings to make sure they were not off...cuz turbo and lean makes engine go BOOM (not ina good way)

Furious
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
actually too lean or too rich is my main concern, HP is the next concern, my butt dyno is happy with the amount of HP the car is making now, i just want to protect my investment but at the same time make it perform like it should.