PDA

View Full Version : what type of angel eyes are the best???

bm0401
05-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I have been considering, adding angel eyes to my car, but im not sure whats the best one to get? I herd of the LED's , and CCFL, and the poly optic.. which one should I get????
Any suggestions greatly appreciated..

BMWFORLIFE
05-06-2006, 06:11 PM
ccfl....DEPOS//look amazing and not too expensive...

bm0401
05-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I have a freind who has a shop and he has a couple of the leds angels. He's going to let me have a set very unexpensive. I havn't purchased it yet, but I mean for a cheap price, are they worth it, or should a gut up the extra cash and get the ccfl as you mentioned .

Gamite
05-06-2006, 06:51 PM
ccfl are by far the brightest

Justin e36
05-06-2006, 07:29 PM
CCFL are the brightest, though least reliable.
Fibre Optics are OEM brightness and most reliable. (what BMW uses from the factory.)
LED's are not very bright, and somewhat reliable.

motorwerks
05-07-2006, 01:09 PM
CCFL's aren't reliable? Have lots of people had trouble with them? And where is a good place (online) to buy the fibre optics ones?

Justin e36
05-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Do a search in the e36 section for angel eyes and read about the problems everyone has been having with theirs. One, or two rings blow. Repairing the rings requires the whole headlight unit to be removed, opened, ring replaced, and put back together. This is the procedure everytime a ring blows.

Because the lightsource for a fibre optic unit is housed in the engine bay, and fibre optic cables transmit the light to the rings... it is very reliable. If the bulb blows, you can replace it in your engine bay and you're good to go. The headlight unit never has to be replaced. Also since there are not electricals in the headlight housing, there's less to go wrong. It's just a plastic ring, and fibre optic cables.

However, I don't know of any online retailers who still carry the Optic kits anymore, since everyone is jumping on the much cooler looking CCFL bandwagon.

Andy E34
05-07-2006, 10:46 PM
CCFL's seem to be luck of the draw, I got my Depos with CCFL's same time everyone else on the recent Group Buy and they have been fine. My problem was with the Depo headlight wiring, small price to pay for a relatively low investment price of $250 CDN (IMO)

lukeh
05-08-2006, 01:41 AM
I've had good luck with the one's from Understeer. I think they're Apexcone's rings. They start to dim/not-work at around 3 degrees celsius. So I just unplug them at that point.

propr'one
05-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Im using bimmians e46 kit right now, its a little brighter than the depo kit i previously had, very comparable. Both kits are excellent, and can clearly be seen in daylight