PDA

View Full Version : Failed emissions (real bad) HELP!!!!

sixxdog
05-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Here are the numbers..

@40km --------------------------------------------@Curb Idle
HC ppm Limit 60- Reading 183 FAIL .............Limit 200- Reading 265 FAIL
co% Limit 0.33 - Reading 0.93 FAIL..........Limit 1- Reading 0.12 PASS
NO ppm Limit 0450 - Reading 2093 FAIL

Car was in stotage for the winter with fuel stabalizer ran that untill about an 8th of tank was left took me about a week,then Added high octane fresh gas, car was run on the highway for about 25 mins and etest was done right away..The car ia a 95 325is Catalytic ,02sensor and plugs (bosch pltmn 4s) are 3 months old, fresh oil change, brand new air filter, i have cold air intake,headers,aftermarket cat, uuc catback system and dinan software..
Anyways so i take the car to the bmw Dealer for diagnostics, and they find nothing, and tells me its running a little rich ..Anybody have any good ideas why all 3 checks fail really badly..2 years ago with a faulty 02 sensor and a catalytic that smelled like eggs only failed on 1 check, ive spent all this cash on brand new ehaust etc and it is worse........I DONT NO WHAT TO DO , can anybody get Hot emission test..

Redster
05-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Did you try that fuel additive they sell at CT? I heard it's good and it gets the job done, but never tried it myself.

Good luck

Bmwstylz
05-05-2006, 06:02 PM
4L of Methyl Alcohol from Can Tire + empty fuel tank + nicely warmed engine = pass.

New cats are $1200? from dealer...

sixxdog
05-05-2006, 10:12 PM
$460.00 for 2 year conditional pass, i am getting it looked at on Wendsday by a shop that the dealer refered me to, i dont want to spend $460.00 every 2 years on conditional pass, so i would prefer to get things figured out now..I thought the bimmer ran well, i take very good care of it, my winter beater runs like crap, hasnt been tuned up in years, no oil change and it passed with flying colours..

sixxdog
05-05-2006, 10:13 PM
4L of Methyl Alcohol from Can Tire + empty fuel tank + nicely warmed engine = pass.

New cats are $1200? from dealer...

Does this really work..

BMWags
05-06-2006, 12:32 AM
umm, i dunno about an empty tank...i heard mix with a half tank, then when ur finished, top it off ASAP

EMPOWERD
05-06-2006, 08:11 AM
PM sent

propr'one
05-06-2006, 01:53 PM
I showed these numbers to a friend of mine. the CT stuff will definatly help you. what we always do when we need a car to pass emissions

1)Buy some of that CT make it pass additive, put it in the tank. Get some sunoco 94. (octane isn't as important as is the ETHANOL in sunoco gas)

2) Use up the tank to about 1/3 to 1/4, refill about halfway

3)drive it on the highway in 4th at like 5000 RPM (depending on car, basically keep the RPM's high), for about 15-20 minutes, DIRECTLY before taking it to e-testing. (litterally, get off the highway and go to the e-test place)

there's a good chance it will pass this time around, if not, post on here again. there area always alternatives;)

V-Thang
05-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Fill up 3/4 with Sunco 94 octane gas. then fill the other 1/4 with VODKA! just pure vodka! your gonna smell the alcohol a little but dirve it somewhat hard (3000rpm+) for a good straight 5-10mins then go to the e-test.

You *should* pass!

JazzM
05-06-2006, 09:21 PM
First off... let the car warm up.

Then like I told Tomek (Axxe), put some gas stabilizer in the tank before you do your emissions. It makes a huge difference. My e30 failed 3 times before I did that then passed with smoking colors.

T.

Understated
05-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Fill up 3/4 with Sunco 94 octane gas. then fill the other 1/4 with VODKA! just pure vodka! your gonna smell the alcohol a little but dirve it somewhat hard (3000rpm+) for a good straight 5-10mins then go to the e-test.

You *should* pass!

HAHAHAH thats a new one!

propr'one
05-06-2006, 09:25 PM
It only works with good vodka (grey goose, not smirnoff)

sixxdog
05-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I did use the Canadian tire stuff, i took it to the dealer for diagnostics and they found nothing and refered me to a different shop and i have an appointment on wendsday,what a waste of $120.00 my scan tool could have told me no codes were coming up..

Justin e36
05-08-2006, 05:28 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how some of this advice will help. The problem is your air/fuel ratio. Your car is simply running rich. I'm no expert, but it's simple science and mechanics. If I make a mistake here, anyone feel free to correct...

The Terms
HC is hydrocarbons, it is measured in PPM (Parts Per Million).

CO% is carbon monoxide, it is measured as a percentage of the total volume. (% of 100% of emissions.)

NO is Oxides of Nitrogen. (not the same as Nitrogen Oxide), it is measured in PPM (parts per million).

What it means
A high HC on your emissions test means your car is wasting unburned fuel. It is typically the result of a sparkplug problem, ignition coil problem, or air/fuel ratio problem. In other words, you have unburned fuel coming out of your tail pipe.

A high CO% on your emissions test means your car is burning fuel without enough oxygen. (too much fuel, not enough air). It is typically the result of a clogged air-filter, vacuum leak, or improper air/fuel ratio.

A high NO on your emissions test means your engine is not fully combusting the fuel, or your car is not reusing exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber. In other words, another air/fuel ratio problem.

Possible solutions
- Most BMW's have an EGR valve (stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation I think?) which is designed to dump exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber. If this is faulty, you can experience the above problems.

- A catalytic converter will get clogged if your car runs rich for too long. It will then fail to burn leftover fuel in the exhaust, leading to some of the above symptoms.

- Your injector(s) could be stuck open, so they are continously spraying.

- A leaky cold-start injector (some BMW's) can will do the same as above.

- A faulty or dirty thermo-time switch (related to the above leaky cold-start injector) will also yeild these problems.

- Running rich will also kill your O2 sensor. A dead O2 sensor will mean your engine can not properly adjust the air/fuel ratio accordingly.

- And obviously, a clogged air filter or intake system will cause your car to run rich.

I realize some of the above suggestions have been replaced on your car already, so I suspect one (or more) of the replacement parts you had installed is defective, and not operating properly. None of the above is really new news though, as stated in the original post.. the dealer already diagnosed the engine is running a little rich.

Furious
05-08-2006, 05:30 AM
i dont understand something, when you guys store the cars do you ever start them and let it run for a bit?

sixxdog
05-08-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how some of this advice will help. The problem is your air/fuel ratio. Your car is simply running rich. I'm no expert, but it's simple science and mechanics. If I make a mistake here, anyone feel free to correct...

The Terms
HC is hydrocarbons, it is measured in PPM (Parts Per Million).

CO% is carbon monoxide, it is measured as a percentage of the total volume. (% of 100% of emissions.)

NO is Oxides of Nitrogen. (not the same as Nitrogen Oxide), it is measured in PPM (parts per million).

What it means
A high HC on your emissions test means your car is wasting unburned fuel. It is typically the result of a sparkplug problem, ignition coil problem, or air/fuel ratio problem. In other words, you have unburned fuel coming out of your tail pipe.

A high CO% on your emissions test means your car is burning fuel without enough oxygen. (too much fuel, not enough air). It is typically the result of a clogged air-filter, vacuum leak, or improper air/fuel ratio.

A high NO on your emissions test means your engine is not fully combusting the fuel, or your car is not reusing exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber. In other words, another air/fuel ratio problem.

Possible solutions
- Most BMW's have an EGR valve (stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation I think?) which is designed to dump exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber. If this is faulty, you can experience the above problems.

- A catalytic converter will get clogged if your car runs rich for too long. It will then fail to burn leftover fuel in the exhaust, leading to some of the above symptoms.

- Your injector(s) could be stuck open, so they are continously spraying.

- A leaky cold-start injector (some BMW's) can will do the same as above.

- A faulty or dirty thermo-time switch (related to the above leaky cold-start injector) will also yeild these problems.

- Running rich will also kill your O2 sensor. A dead O2 sensor will mean your engine can not properly adjust the air/fuel ratio accordingly.

- And obviously, a clogged air filter or intake system will cause your car to run rich.

I realize some of the above suggestions have been replaced on your car already, so I suspect one (or more) of the replacement parts you had installed is defective, and not operating properly. None of the above is really new news though, as stated in the original post.. the dealer already diagnosed the engine is running a little rich.
That is some very good information, thank you very much....I hope my converter hasnt gone for crap yet....How does a shop adjust the air/fuel...

Justin e36
05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
That is some very good information, thank you very much....I hope my converter hasnt gone for crap yet....How does a shop adjust the air/fuel...

The a/f ratio is computer controlled, it can't be manually adjusted without remapping the ECU. They will have to solve the problem leading to your car running rich... one of the solutions listed above may help.

SickFinga
05-08-2006, 02:45 PM
i dont understand something, when you guys store the cars do you ever start them and let it run for a bit?

No. Do you?

Antz_Marchin
05-08-2006, 03:20 PM
^Never, don't want moisture to condense in your engine then freeze/rust/make a mess during storage. I run mine hard the last day, turn it off, throw a cover over it and forget about it til spring.