PDA

View Full Version : BMW lease

WRXXX
05-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey Everyone

How's BMW when it comes to returning the car after lease end? Do they nit pick on the condition of the car down to the smallest details? I am thinking about leasing a 325i but just want to ask u guys here w/ lease return experience. I know that Mercedes gave my friend a $3500 tab after he returned his E500 w/ 62,000km. They say the tires were worned (even though he only used them for about 25,000km), small door dings and scratches...etc. They were willing to write that off if he decided to re-lease another vehicle from them. He paid the tab and told them to F-off. I hope BMW is not like that.

Anybody w/ good or bad lease end experiences to share? Tks

WRXXX

Gianpaolo_E46
05-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Depends on ur relationship with the dealer and if your picking up another car at the end of the lease. We've returned cars that we're not in perfect condition, usually before the end of the lease term, and they gave us no problem. We did have to pay a bit for one of them though cause we cancelled it early and the difference was too great for the dealership to swallow. Apperantly they do an inspection on the car before it's returned, but thats never happened to us.

mirek
05-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Depends on ur relationship with the dealer and if your picking up another car at the end of the lease. We've returned cars that we're not in perfect condition, usually before the end of the lease term, and they gave us no problem. We did have to pay a bit for one of them though cause we cancelled it early and the difference was too great for the dealership to swallow. Apperantly they do an inspection on the car before it's returned, but thats never happened to us.

I'm sure it's happened do you , they ALWAYS inspect cars upon return. Maybe they did it after your returned it, but it's still inspected. To think that they took the car without looking it over is silly

FastM3
05-03-2006, 01:49 PM

Exactly true. Just make sure everything is working correctly and more importantly your tires aren't bald.
If your cool with your dealer I'm sure they'll help you out with anything.

Gamite
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
just FYI, BMW usually has sales on their leases near the fall. I think it starts with 5 (699/mo), then X5 (699/mo), then 3 (599/mo)

Not sure how they'll do it this year.

dtthiaga
05-03-2006, 04:16 PM
BMW is not the greatest when it comes to lease returns. They are picky about even curb rash on rims (minor). I've returned numerous GM's, and Chrysler's with no problems. But, my cars are usually mint when I return it.. but no issues.

BMW, you have to get that Inspection done by them. They send someone out. My car was mint, but they were still going to charge me some $$ for the POS OE rims.. I only used them the first year, and still pretty good, but I had the usual minor curb rash... This “grading” is purely by the Inspector that was sent out by BMW Canada.

Your lease ends in less than 30 days. Please contact one of our Lease End Consultants at 1-800-3000-BMW to schedule your inspection.

Here's what they are supposed to follow. Not sure if they do... to be honest... they do scare me. I was very nervous about the inspection! :idea: Next time, I’d just buy the car and depreciate it for business instead of writing off the lease.

FROM BMW Owner's Circle Website......

No Surprises

We don't think there should be any surprises when you turn in your vehicle at lease end. That's why we have provided this guide to help you assess your vehicle's condition, the same guide used by the independent agency when inspecting your vehicle. Their checklist is more detailed, but you will have an excellent idea of what will be inspected.

Here are some examples of what is considered reasonable and acceptable wear and use, and what is not:

Exterior

Your BMW may have up to three dings per panel, with a maximum of six dings per side. A ding is a dimple less than 2 inches in diameter.
Most dents are not acceptable.
Some minor chips, such as those from a spray of small stones, are OK.
Surface scratches that can be easily buffed out are OK.
Scuffed bumpers are OK.
Paint or body repair is fine if completed by an authorized BMW Retailer.

Interior

Small stains in a few areas are OK.
Most excessive wear and tear from breaks, tears and burns is unacceptable.
Any Original BMW part or accessory added by a BMW retailer after delivery is OK.
Any modifications restored to original specifications are fine.

Mechanical

Every item must be in good working order and operating properly.
BMW Scheduled Maintenance guidelines must be followed.
All BMW Scheduled Maintenance and repair records must be kept.

Safety

A small chip in the windshield that is not in the driver's line of vision is allowed.
Lights and lenses function properly and have no cracks, chips or holes.
A small brake squeak may be acceptable, providing the brakes are functioning properly and the brake warning light is not on.
All air bags should be fully functional and in fine working order.
Five serviceable BMW recommended tires with at least 4/32" tread depth.
Minor scratches on wheels are OK.
Tinted windows that have been professionally applied and meet local laws are acceptable.

dtthiaga
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I can't begin to explain how stressed out I was when the inspector came... :) It's probably just me, when things are left to the discretion of someone else.

I like have the lists (check lists) and guide lines they follow.

Visit www.ownerscircle.bmw.ca and get a copy of that checklist. I posted that checklist in the above post ^ which you can print out. I would have it with me when the inspector comes.

propr'one
05-03-2006, 05:20 PM
tires aren't usually a huge deal, you can usually find some used ones that will certify

Daddy
05-03-2006, 06:10 PM
For those entering into new leases, isn't there a "Wear Care" package you can buy? For other makes (I know Acura and Mazda have them), and Acura in particular, you pay a $750 premium which will entitle you to $3,500 in excess wear and tear coverage. I wish I bought it as there are several dings on our SUV which I personally wouldn't even consider to be normal wear and tear...

rodo
05-03-2006, 06:16 PM
our aviator had that ware care package, same deal, same cost, same coverage. Just b4 returning it i called lincoln (ford) and there were sooo many catches, no scratch or dent could be over 1000, etc. ****ing bastards... then teh lady that inspected it let everything go, she was very nice and didn't charge us for anything because we had the ware care, altho i dont think it shoulda been covered

Mr seville
05-03-2006, 07:30 PM
well when we returned my buddies landrover the muffler was falling off(and by falling off i mean hitting the under carriage and the asphalt over every bump) and 2 of the tires were leaking. along with a bunch of other shit that kinda fell apart and was sitting in the trunk. they took it no problem. so i don't think they care. lol however it was landrover and landrover is english after all so i dunno