PDA

View Full Version : Warranty question

jstalin
05-03-2006, 10:21 AM
So the maintenance free warranty expires at 60,000K, so I was wondering would they replace my brakes for me before the 60K mark at no cost whether I needed them or not?

R_JAY
05-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow, brakes are under warranty with this program? If they are then why not. It'll save you minimum $500 in the near future.

Wannabe
05-03-2006, 10:26 AM
brakes are a dispensable part.... I am pretty sure no warranty will cover brakes.. But if I am wrong...That would be a sweet warranty program.

propr'one
05-03-2006, 10:30 AM
If your brakes are covered, (no idea if they would be, bought my bmw long after its warranty expired:() there's a good chance you could get them to do it, if you find someone cool at the dealership im sure they'll hook you up even if they're not that worn yet

Mr seville
05-03-2006, 10:33 AM
i don't think they are covered, however best thing you could do is ask your service advisor. i think they were covered to a certain point like 35k. i could be wrong. BTW what kind of car do you drive?

jstalin
05-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Brakes are definately park of the warranty, which expires at 60K. My question is, will they replace them even if I don't need new ones

Wannabe
05-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Just slam on the brakes a few times hard.. get them all warped..

FastM3
05-03-2006, 10:50 AM
I believe your warranty goes until 80,000km. Regardless of that, your brakes won't be replaced simply because you want them to or they are getting worn down. Normal wear isn't covered but if there is a major problem with them then they are covered.

jstalin
05-03-2006, 11:02 AM
I believe your warranty goes until 80,000km. Regardless of that, your brakes won't be replaced simply because you want them to or they are getting worn down. Normal wear isn't covered but if there is a major problem with them then they are covered.

The warranty goes until 80K, but that only covers defects. From '00 on, BMW offer maintenance free warranty, which is good for 60K and covers absolutely everything except wheel alignments (including Inspection I).

Well, if they're not gonna replace them as is, then I'll just grind em down and make them replace me brakes.

FastM3
05-03-2006, 11:18 AM
But by you grinding them down just makes it look like your a physco driver and they probably won't replace them because it's your fault they are so worn down, therefore they won't be covered.

...but I could be wrong. Try it out! :)

propr'one
05-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Just go in there yelling and screaming about how you almost died cause your brakes dont work. they'll end up replacing em:)

rodo
05-03-2006, 12:34 PM
no they won't. Pads and rotots at the stealer are 688.50. It is not included in teh warranty, because brakes are a wear and tear item. they will NOT replace your pads and rotors for free if they are worn, im guesing they will if they are ****ed up somehow, like a defect

jstalin
05-03-2006, 12:39 PM
no they won't. Pads and rotots at the stealer are 688.50. It is not included in teh warranty, because brakes are a wear and tear item. they will NOT replace your pads and rotors for free if they are worn, im guesing they will if they are ****ed up somehow, like a defect

I'm taking bets on this matter, brakes & other wear/tear items ARE included in BMW's maintenance free warranty. This has been in place since 2000.

rodo
05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
ok, then if my car is a 2004, why did i have to pay 688.50 to get my brakes done?

jstalin
05-03-2006, 12:57 PM
ok, then if my car is a 2004, why did i have to pay 688.50 to get my brakes done?

How many kms on ur car? The MFW is only good til 60K. Otherwise, you got ripped off mate.

http://www.bmw.ca/english/products_services/service/sched_maint.asp?&Lan=en

Actually, I forgot that it's a paid upgrade, but still, it is covered.

Option 2 Upgrade - The standard No-charge Scheduled Maintenance may be upgraded to a 3 years or 60,000 kilometres** Full Maintenance Program. The Full Maintenance Program includes all items covered under the Scheduled Maintenance Program. In addition, it includes the replacement of wear items such as brake linings, brake rotors, engine belts, wiper blades, and clutch components***. Please refer to the below chart for pricing information.

rodo
05-03-2006, 12:59 PM
at the time, less than 50, now like 51. I got ripped off? Ok... i know the budds personally, so im pretty sure ur mistaken. One time they offered free wear and tear on X3's there was an add, but not on my car

WhadUpp
05-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Hey Stalin I think you'll get owned with a $700 bill when you go in mate. Thats life

jstalin
05-03-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=797744#post797744

In case you missed it. Brakes are covered (I have the full maint package), back to my question: are they obliged to replace me brakes whether they need replacing or not?

propr'one
05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
jstalin, if so, have EACH of those items replaced before it comes off warranty

jstalin
05-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Hmm, would they replace the engine belt? Might as well try

propr'one
05-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Just talk to the guys at the dealership. I think warranty is offered by BMW canada, not the individual dealers, so they probably dont care much. Might have to slip em a few$$, just like back home:P

rodo
05-03-2006, 01:11 PM
damn tahts sick, u pay 700 bucks and u get the clutch replaced free, brakes replaced free, etc, as many times as needed during the coverage period?

propr'one
05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
yeah have your clutch replaced too Jstalin, forgot about that one

jstalin
05-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Hehe now does that mean I have to run this shit to the ground or will bmw Toronto be cool about it and replace it regardless? I guess it's not hard to burn out a clutch, eh prop?

jstalin
05-03-2006, 01:16 PM
damn tahts sick, u pay 700 bucks and u get the clutch replaced free, brakes replaced free, etc, as many times as needed during the coverage period?

Told you mang, don't argue with Uncle Joe, he know's his coverage *th-up*

propr'one
05-03-2006, 01:16 PM
shaddap:P

and yes, i currently have a clutch/brake burning special going on, everything's 99% off

rodo
05-03-2006, 01:22 PM
do they replace all that stuff as much as is needed? like within those 60 k, is there a limit as to how many times they will replace the brake or the clutch? Can it be amortized into the lease payments, or do u have to pay it in one payment up front? I'm sooo getting htat on the next car. Do they offer it on e90's?

jstalin
05-03-2006, 01:27 PM
do they replace all that stuff as much as is needed? like within those 60 k, is there a limit as to how many times they will replace the brake or the clutch? Can it be amortized into the lease payments, or do u have to pay it in one payment up front? I'm sooo getting htat on the next car. Do they offer it on e90's?

I think you've got to pay it up front, but not 100% on that.

How many brake pads can one go through in 60K? It says specifically replacement of wear items, it doesn't speculate any interval so yes, they'd have to replace them whenever they need replacing. So far I've had tie rods, alternater, some coil thing and inspection I covered. I should take advantage of this more though. And yes, the offer it on the e90's as well

rodo
05-03-2006, 01:32 PM
dayummmm, i jsut loooked it up ont eh bmw website, its now 749 for all 6cyl models for 60k. I am SOOOO getting that... too bad it doesn't cover tires:P

propr'one
05-03-2006, 06:22 PM
jstalin, take your bmw to the track? why not man:)

Mr seville
05-03-2006, 10:38 PM
so mr communism drives a bmw eh, interesting

BlitzSix
05-04-2006, 12:03 AM

Um if you need the clutch replaced even once at 60k then you have a problem lol...but several times??? Are you seroiulsy gonna go through 2 or more clutches in 60k? Do you drive with it half engaged the whole time ors omething ??

rodo
05-04-2006, 12:13 AM
i dont have a manual, but next car probably will be a 6sp.

BlitzSix
05-04-2006, 12:48 AM
That still doesnt' answer why you'd need your clutch changed several times in 60k :P :P

rodo
05-04-2006, 01:02 AM
because i have no idea how long a clutch lasts so i was asking just in case

Understated
05-04-2006, 01:03 AM
so mr communism drives a bmw eh, interesting

thats what i said!

Vdub is prawly in storage yaaa?

BlitzSix
05-04-2006, 01:14 AM
because i have no idea how long a clutch lasts so i was asking just in case

oh ok my bad, I thought you had some agenda about killing clutches and doing burnouts just for the hell of it and then gettin gthem replaced for free :cool: :cool:

Justin e36
05-04-2006, 05:40 AM
I think you've got to pay it up front, but not 100% on that.

How many brake pads can one go through in 60K? It says specifically replacement of wear items, it doesn't speculate any interval so yes, they'd have to replace them whenever they need replacing. So far I've had tie rods, alternater, some coil thing and inspection I covered. I should take advantage of this more though. And yes, the offer it on the e90's as well

Yes you have to pay upfront. Unless it is a used vehicle you're purchasing from a dealership that is BMW Certified with the extended warranty options.

These items will not be replaced an unlimited number of times, it's within reason.. there is fine print to the package, I believe the total number of items that need replacing during the warranty period can not exceed a certain dollar amount. Additionally, it has to be from normal day to day driving.

They will not replace these items under warranty unless they NEED replacing. My recommendation is to go to a mechanic (i.e. bimmersport or rmp motors) and ask them to swap on some old brake shoes, drivebelts, etc. You'll have to pay the hundred some-odd dollars labour, but then the dealership will change it all again with brand new parts. To spend under $150 on new brakes, rotors, drivebelts, and whatever other items is a steal... especially replacing with OEM parts. :)

rodo
05-04-2006, 09:02 AM
so everytime u get something done is a 150 deductible with this package?

propr'one
05-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Jstalin how worn are your brakes/etc?

if they're still over like 60%, mabye you could swap them with someone who's brakes are completly worn but doesn't/cant drop the cash on brand new ones just yet. save everyone some money

bmw_tech84
05-04-2006, 08:57 PM
I work at a bmw dealership and i have never replaced brakes unless the car had 5000km or less and i have never replaced a clutch under warranty for wear. Whether or not this maintenance warranty reimburses you i have no idea but i guarantee you that if you go to a bmw dealership and u need brakes or a clutch because they are worn then u will have to pay for them to be replaced.bmw's 4 year 80,000km warranty covers everything bumper to bumper except for brakes,clutch,tires and any services after the first oil service and first inspection (inspection 1) and of course any failure do to customer neglegance or abuse. even though suspension components are also wear and tear items they are covered under warranty EG: tie rods, control arms, springs, shocks etc.

///Milk
05-05-2006, 01:54 AM
In Soviet Russia, brakes replace you at 60,000km.

jstalin
05-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Jstalin how worn are your brakes/etc?

if they're still over like 60%, mabye you could swap them with someone who's brakes are completly worn but doesn't/cant drop the cash on brand new ones just yet. save everyone some money

That's a good idea, how can I tell how much brakes are left?

jstalin
05-05-2006, 12:42 PM
thats what i said!

Vdub is prawly in storage yaaa?

How long have I been on here asking questions about my bmw? Have I made 1 post ever mentioning anything about a vw? The Yugo's in storage, vw is non-existant.

dave328i
05-05-2006, 12:54 PM
But by you grinding them down just makes it look like your a physco driver and they probably won't replace them because it's your fault they are so worn down, therefore they won't be covered.

...but I could be wrong. Try it out! :)

or, refer to the grey delete post, and use a super fine grit sandpaper.

it should only take about 650 hours