PDA

View Full Version : Bumper mesh

djcontra
04-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Okay, this may sound very straight forward and simple to do, but for the life of me I can't get it right; how the heck does one attach mesh to one's bumper so it looks like a clean install? Can anyone give me a step by step or post a link to a guide somewhere? It's funny cause I just spent all day drilling and cutting holes in my trunk lid installing my spoiler, but I can't figure out a simple thing like mesh :D
Also, where does everyone get the mesh for their cars? I went to a few ricer shops here in scarborough but no luck....

Thanks!! *wave*

propr'one
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
You mean the mesh for the front bumper? (m3 front)

gotta go to the dealer, i think its pretty expensive

djcontra
04-30-2006, 09:17 PM
It would be for my Rieger Infinity 2 kit, so the rear will need it also. The front is supposed to mate with the OEM one, but $90 for that is a bit extreme, plus I think it would look nicer if the front matched the rear too.

thanks

mpower1226
04-30-2006, 09:29 PM
i used to buy the gutter guard from homedepot but now they are not comming in anymore. Instead, i found myself a roll of plastic flexible BLACK meshs. Unlike, the mesh that rice shop sells, its plastic and it does not peel out. Its a flexible black plastic so it does look very oem. one role is like 4 bucks which would cover many many many freaking cars. Its like life time supply of meshs. *th-up*

What I did was, inside the bumper, get a epoxy past kind of. Its like a dough to fix everything. Use that, make a small ball out of it, put it inside of the bumper trim and attach a wire(paper clip is good enough.). use that wire put the mesh in from behind and bend the wire to hold it its place.

so make about 8 mounting points per square. 2 pts on the side 2 on upper and 2 on lower.

eurorice
05-01-2006, 12:31 PM
well first you would mold the mesh to the shape you need it to fill then you can us a body filler or apoxy that will fuse to your body kit

SickFinga
05-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Just get OEM one. Ive never seen any home made stuff look good

Furious
05-01-2006, 04:34 PM
kinda OT but contra do you have any leftover of the rear bumper mesh? i might need like a foot or two. PM me

lukeh
05-01-2006, 08:40 PM
http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/7830/img43861au.th.jpg (http://img487.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img43861au.jpg)

Not sure if that turns your crank, but I have some left over.

djcontra
05-01-2006, 08:43 PM
LukeH: where did you buy that mesh and how did you install it on the rear?

lukeh
05-01-2006, 08:46 PM
I bought it at Home Depot, under the fence section. There was no other piece like it for some reason. It was cut from something else, I have enough left over to do the rear and front for you. I bought it for $13. It was the only piece that I liked, due to the "square" size.

I attached it with urethane. The urethane is like a thick glue, and waterproof. Used it with the sideskirts, and putting all the mesh on. IMO, it looks fantastic.

Justin e36
05-01-2006, 08:51 PM
LukeH: where did you buy that mesh and how did you install it on the rear?

I have an extra piece kicking around somewhere, but I painted it black. Never ended up mounting it for some reason... got lazy probably. If you want it, I can dig it up for you.

In either case, you can get the mesh from home depot, make sure you get galvanized so it doesn't rust. Even then, with stone chips, and from cutting it, it can begin rusting later anyway, so use some tremclad rust inhibiting paint on your mesh to prevent it from rusting in the future.

Mould it to where you want to mount it, and hold it in place with some duct tape (sounds ghetto I know), then use either black silicone, or automotive goop in dabs along the perimeter and allow it to dry. Make sure where you apply the silicone is lightly sanded, clean, and dry. Silicone will flex under impact, unlike most epoxy resins that'll crack.

djcontra
05-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I think i have an idea now of how I will mount it, my only problem now is finding some decent mesh. I took a trip to homedepot and rona but only found this really cheap looking plastic stuff which comes in a roll...it looks no better than thick dental floss, so I didn't want that. The next item i found which could be suitable was this wiremesh you use for conrete construction but it's not stainless, and is kinda flimsy. I think even the wind resistance on the highway will cause this one to buckle :D. I next tried rona, and they did have a higher quality eaves troph mesh but unfortunately it's not diamond pattern in shape so I didn't grab that either. I'll check the fencing section tomorrow like you mentioned LukeH before I start begging you guys to sell me scraps :P

thanks again!!

Justin e36
05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I think i have an idea now of how I will mount it, my only problem now is finding some decent mesh. I took a trip to homedepot and rona but only found this really cheap looking plastic stuff which comes in a roll...it looks no better than thick dental floss, so I didn't want that. The next item i found which could be suitable was this wiremesh you use for conrete construction but it's not stainless, and is kinda flimsy. I think even the wind resistance on the highway will cause this one to buckle :D. I next tried rona, and they did have a higher quality eaves troph mesh but unfortunately it's not diamond pattern in shape so I didn't grab that either. I'll check the fencing section tomorrow like you mentioned LukeH before I start begging you guys to sell me scraps :P

thanks again!!

The eaves troph mesh I got is diamond shaped. :confused: ... or you can always get regular square mesh and mount it at a 45 degree angle. :idea:

Have you considered bullethole mesh? I had this for a while too.. it doesn't look that bad when painted black. There is a place in North York that sells it. Here's how it looks in silver on a silverado grill. http://www.truckefx.com/images/products/101.jpg

lukeh
05-01-2006, 10:16 PM
contra, just let me know. It's rolling around in my trunk at home.

I wanted to do bullet hole like Will's supercharged red 328i backi n the day, but could never find anyone that had the metal. Only place that I did find it, it was insanely expensive because of the quantity I had to buy.

It doesn't look good in this picture, I have other pictures were it looks amazing when he switched to MVR's.

http://www.dtmpower.net/pictures/import%20eurasia/DSCN0500.jpg

djcontra
05-01-2006, 10:17 PM
you can always get regular square mesh and mount it at a 45 degree angle. :idea:

why are you always so smart? lol, so simple yet my mind overthinks things ...i'll check for square mesh too :D

Furious
05-02-2006, 12:46 AM
damn im looking for the stuff that comes with the bumper ,has a slight angle in the mess so that you cant really in while looking down. but i will keep that other stuff in mind. thanks guys. i plan on using a silicone or expoxy to fix it on. it aint going no where in the back