PDA

View Full Version : I made some HOME MADE ANGEL EYES....Take a look!!

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 02:24 AM
I got this link off of geocities from dtmpower that had a diagramatic instruction set which allowed people to make their own Angel eyes.

I decided to try a pair of halos on my friends car and it turned out quite well...."only did the inside rings for now to test the qualilty and effectiveness.

Had I found this link way before... I would have never purchased the Generation 1 Angel eyes from Jim Powell... this isnt to criticize his work, however.... DIY is much cheaper pending that you are mechanically knowledgable.

Also, you must have Glass Ellipsoids I think.... I did the conversion on Bosch ellipsoids.

Let me know what you think... the LED was done in Plasma Blue.

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 02:25 AM
another angle

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 02:25 AM
yet another

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 02:26 AM
a few more

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 02:27 AM
another

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 02:29 AM
last one

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 02:30 AM
one more..... last one

FastM3
11-03-2002, 02:52 AM
that looks pretty good man....where can you purchase these? and can i do it on my E30??

BMW BMXer
11-03-2002, 03:01 AM
there not purchased

im thinkin of doing it to my ethirty once I figure out how to mount it to the outside :mad: ill do it
oh and those look badass

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 03:18 AM
I think you can only do them to E36's with glass ellipsoids
However, I have seen some e30's do it but IM not too sure how they are done??

e30_325_s52
11-03-2002, 04:16 AM
where did u get the light part from?

mkgino
11-03-2002, 05:51 AM
Well E46 Lover and I are designing an angel eye kit also. We are going to include the rings, different coloured led's and the actually led bulbs themselves. The good part to our kit is that we are going to be able to put them in us spec headlights (for the E36) since we found a way to open those suckers up without damaging them!! How many people would be interested in a kit for the E36 where the kit works with their US spec headlights?? We would also eventually offer a kit for the euro ellipsoids for the E36 and also for the E46 model ellipsoids and non ellipsoid headlights!!!!!Eventually we would even try to open up a set of lights for the E30 and see what we could do there also!!! So how many people would be interested in a low cost kit for their car??*th-up*

bart320i
11-03-2002, 11:04 AM
If they fit in my US spec headlight and they look good I'll be more than happy to buy a pair*th-up*

sanchez
11-03-2002, 11:13 AM
can u tell me what site that is?... ...i wanna do that too... how did u make it blue?

EMPOWERD
11-03-2002, 01:30 PM
Ok, I've already looked into this topic extensively long ago with regards to the E30 headlights. The ONLY E30 lights that will allow this are the European Ellipsoids. They have a smilie thing inside them and are only available in Europe. Those can be taken apart, not the U.S. ellipsoids.... trust me.

jeremy
11-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by empowerd
Ok, I've already looked into this topic extensively long ago with regards to the E30 headlights. The ONLY E30 lights that will allow this are the European Ellipsoids. They have a smilie thing inside them and are only available in Europe. Those can be taken apart, not the U.S. ellipsoids.... trust me.

he's right...the only way you can do them on the u.s e30 is if you use those gay stone chip guards...they look like crap..heres a pic

mkgino
11-03-2002, 02:10 PM
Well we would offer something for the E30 eventaully but now we are concentrating on the E36. Last night I got the stock us spec headlights open without damage!!:)

Jon@Bimmersport
11-03-2002, 02:15 PM
yea, for all you people who dont wanna buy euro ellipsoids for e36, we are making an angel eye kit for you as we speak. If you have ellipsoids, im 100% sure they will work. does anyone have a pair of used or damaged e46 headlights? they will be returned when im done.

jeremy
11-03-2002, 02:21 PM
the e36 rings you made look good*th-up*

KennyTheGreat
11-03-2002, 02:38 PM
the cheaper the better *mw*

mkgino
11-03-2002, 02:46 PM
The Kit will be a fair price, much, much cheaper than the Jim powell kit or having to buy Inpro angel eyes also. Remember too since we are located in toronto, you dont have to pay any import duties or taxes
*th-up*

BMW BMXer
11-03-2002, 03:23 PM
pf.. ill figure something out for e30s

maybe they won't be angel eyes but my light grill area will light up some how...:huh?:

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 03:24 PM
mkgino and e46_lover, IM still seeing if I can find the link for you.

You might want to experiment on the US spec lights first before you sell a product like this.....

Keep in mind the Euro ellipsoids have glass bezels from which the ring fits into...it wedges in a little crevice and remains in its place b/c of it. You would have to glue the Angel eyes to the US spec lights which might not be that good because the heat from the lens would melt the halo altogether..... also..what if you have to replace a bulb in the future? how would you get the glue off.

Also, where would you tap the wire into? The euro ellipsoids have a city light that you can tap into...US spec dont.....I suppose you could tap into the parking lights but you should really experiment on yours first before you start selling something.

Just some heads up!:)

Jon@Bimmersport
11-03-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Daydream M3

You might want to experiment on the US spec lights first before you sell a product like this.....

Keep in mind the Euro ellipsoids have glass bezels from which the ring fits into...it wedges in a little crevice and remains in its place b/c of it. You would have to glue the Angel eyes to the US spec lights which might not be that good because the heat from the lens would melt the halo altogether..... also..what if you have to replace a bulb in the future? how would you get the glue off.

Also, where would you tap the wire into? The euro ellipsoids have a city light that you can tap into...US spec dont.....I suppose you could tap into the parking lights but you should really experiment on yours first before you start selling something.

thanks, so thats what betray meant by melting...he never gave any detail really! lol, well yea we are going through extensive testing so we dont sell any faulty lights or lights than can damage your headlights.

e30_325_s52
11-03-2002, 03:52 PM
i lik them..can i get some :P

bora
11-03-2002, 04:34 PM
I have seen these installed on some VW's and there have been issues. Two months after they were installed they started to blister. Also the guy that sold them can not be found and has left a lot of people with useless crap. So be ready to eat your money if these fail.

e30_325_s52
11-03-2002, 04:40 PM
bora...thx for the tip*th-up*

Furious
11-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Gavin it looks pretty good,, im thinking im gonna see what i can possibly pull off..

mkgino
11-03-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Daydream M3

All of this has been taken into consideration, if we come out with a kit then we will test all of this, dont worry. The kit wouldnt be out for a very long time, and all heat considerations would be taken into account. On and the rings fit right into the us spec lights same as the ellipsiods, I know I have both. Guys you worry too much, all tests will be made. We will come up with a very affordable kit.

Daydream M3
11-03-2002, 08:26 PM
hey Mark....whats happening, havent talked to you in a while....if you're interested in these halos.... pm me, Ill help you out.
Gav

mkgino
11-03-2002, 09:28 PM
We are leaning towards a fiber optic kit, rather than an led one, since the bulb can be changed easier and there would be no melting or any danger inside the actual headlight assembly. I have had my DDE kit for quite some time now and have had no problems with the kit. no melting of anything and no danger or damage to any of my cars components. Now Im just waiting for word on two issues for the kit and testing will begin!!*th-up*

SpoolinS6
11-03-2002, 10:10 PM
whats the url address which shows how to do them can u tell me please im ganna do some customs shit on my dads audi ! angel eyes on my dads audi whats the ring made of that the guy made angel eyes for his car!

Lil'Smoothie
11-03-2002, 10:41 PM
sweet, I got euro ellipsoids with the smiley in my garage, that would look badass on an E30.

I bought mine in Scotalnd for like 50 bones

mkgino
11-03-2002, 11:13 PM
Well our main focus right now is on the E36, as soon as we get that rolling then we can get kits out for the E30 and E46. We are just waiting for only one major thing and we will find that out tomorrow, and we can then begin the testing phase. I think that the kit should be on sale hopefully in a month to two months from now. Since most store their cars for the winter then it really doesnt matter how long it takes us to make the kit, but the more testing involved, the better.*th-up*

SpoolinS6
11-03-2002, 11:22 PM
Can some one tell me were i can get the materials to maqe angel rings !
please i need it for a school assignment!

bora
11-04-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Well our main focus right now is on the E36, as soon as we get that rolling then we can get kits out for the E30 and E46. We are just waiting for only one major thing and we will find that out tomorrow, and we can then begin the testing phase. I think that the kit should be on sale hopefully in a month to two months from now. Since most store their cars for the winter then it really doesnt matter how long it takes us to make the kit, but the more testing involved, the better.*th-up*
So are you going to offer these with some kind of warranty ? If so, how long?

mkgino
11-04-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by bora

So are you going to offer these with some kind of warranty ? If so, how long?

Well this actually getting a little a head of ourselves. I am certain it will be a fiberoptic kit where the lightbulb will be outside of the headlight assembly, encompassing fiberoptics to light the rings. Now With regards to warranty, of course there will be one, which takes probably all components in the kit. After the testing phase begins, then we will know more about the specifics of the kit. Anyone who helps out of course will be compensated.

SpoolinS6
11-04-2002, 09:15 AM
thanx for telling me who it was i appresiate it lates!

Soldo
11-05-2002, 05:26 PM
can i get some help with this, i would LOVE to make my own angel eyes, can someone please put a list of THINGS TO BUY, since the link to the webpage is broken, and also how much would the materials cost, or how much MKGINO's kit would cost?!?!

mkgino
11-05-2002, 05:34 PM
The link above is up and works, its really not that expensive. The kit that I am trying to make would be much cheaper than the kit that the other people sell, with similar quality.

Soldo
11-05-2002, 06:10 PM
thanks for the help, but can i get a BALL PARK price?!?!
sorry!

mkgino
11-05-2002, 06:13 PM
Not too sure where to get the LED's from but they should only be a few bucks, resistors as well. Rings - about 10 bucks. Other than that, not too sure how much it will cost in total, maybe like 30-40 all together.

Soldo
11-05-2002, 07:57 PM
alright, if they cost that much, put ME DOWN!

mkgino
11-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
alright, if they cost that much, put ME DOWN!

Thats how much they would cost for you to make them, not to buy a kit from me.....which I havent even made yet.

Soldo
11-06-2002, 11:15 PM
can some please answer this question for me!?
when you put on the angle eyes, aren't the halo's supposed to turn on ASWELL as the HIGHS/LOWS?!?!
please answer cause all the pics i see, the halo's are light, as well as the foglights, but NO HIGH/LOW?!?!

Jon@Bimmersport
11-06-2002, 11:18 PM
yea can set them to turn on to your parking lights, highs or lows i am guessing. it all depends on the wiring right? it will explain with the instructions...you can even get the install instuctions for the angel eye kit off the UUC website

mkgino
11-07-2002, 02:18 AM
Ok, just as an update, we are almost ready for the testing stage. We have all the necessary components, and we are almost ready to go. I will post up how the testing goes! Wish us luck!*th-up*

e30_325_s52
11-07-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Ok, just as an update, we are almost ready for the testing stage. We have all the necessary components, and we are almost ready to go. I will post up how the testing goes! Wish us luck!*th-up*

thats tite tho man..hope u can make a bus. out of it*th-up*

Cone
11-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I'm really interested in this kit. Someone put some on his E30, he used a type of silicone glue to glue it to the outside of the headlights, it didn't look too bad.

Jon@Bimmersport
11-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Cone
Yeah, I'm really interested in this kit. Someone put some on his E30, he used a type of silicone glue to glue it to the outside of the headlights, it didn't look too bad.

if you want, you can do that for now...or you can wait for us to develop the kit for the euro-ellipsoids which IMO is much better

BMW BMXer
11-07-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover

if you want, you can do that for now...or you can wait for us to develop the kit for the euro-ellipsoids which IMO is much better

u dumb shunt then hell hafta buy euro elips

I don't see how the kit ur making now will differ from the euro elip kit (maybe ring size) but still

BMW BMXer
11-07-2002, 05:25 PM
oh buy the way my first ring (i cut the kink off)

djcontra
11-07-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
oh buy the way my first ring (i cut the kink off)

is that made from a tube of acrylic or a solid rod?

i tried the tube and it didn't work for me, so i'm just forewarning everyone that i had very poor success with a tube

BMW BMXer
11-07-2002, 07:48 PM
its not soild, Ive heard stories of melting but in prepared to deal with it

djcontra
11-07-2002, 08:41 PM
its not soild, Ive heard stories of melting but in prepared to deal with it

have you tested it with an LED yet? I tried with a tube really quickly and it wouldn't light up at all
there just wasn't enough light going through what little acrylic there was

Dave 325i
11-07-2002, 11:09 PM
I suppose you guys remember this link:

http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/angel_eyes.htm

BMW BMXer
11-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Ill have to get super bright leds and may need a 3rd

BMW BMXer
11-08-2002, 05:48 PM
back to the drawing board..hallow rings don't light up worth shit!
the light goes everywere but were it should

djcontra
11-08-2002, 06:09 PM
back to the drawing board..hallow rings don't light up worth shit!
the light goes everywere but were it should

get a solid rod and it will work
hollow ones do not work because of how light works

BMW BMXer
11-09-2002, 01:30 AM
think home depot or micheals has te soild rods?

rona has the hollow...

Jase
11-09-2002, 02:26 AM
Has anyone considered using a piece of electroluminencent noen wire in a hollow tube? It seems to light up bright and it can be bought by the foot. tons of colours.Just a thought
Jase:idea:

e30_325_s52
11-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Jase
Has anyone considered using a piece of electroluminencent noen wire in a hollow tube? It seems to light up bright and it can be bought by the foot. tons of colours.Just a thought
Jase:idea:

i saw that before on this one e36...it was pretty bright...and tite...us hould try that...