PDA

View Full Version : Pre Purchase Inspection

Redster
04-29-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm looking at two 540i and they're both private sale. I'd like to do PPI before buying, so can someone tell me what would they check (at a bmw dealership) when doing PPI? Cost?

Understated
04-29-2006, 12:23 PM
RMP Motors in Bolton will do this for you :)

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70267

Redster
04-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Well I'll be meeting with the owner in Kingston area so I'd be looking at a bmw dealer there so we don't have to drive some more (he's from Ottawa and I'm from Kitchener).

propr'one
04-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Redster i STRONGLY recommend you do this at RMP, a private shop will do a MUCH better job at looking the car over. When i was shopping for my bmw, maranello wanted like 500+ to inspect it, took it to a private shop, paid 1/4 of that, got a better inspection than dealer. Having said that, make sure the tech is factory trained, and knows exactly what he's doing.

Wannabe
04-29-2006, 01:39 PM
There is no BMW dealer in Kingston..

RMPMOTORS
04-29-2006, 01:45 PM
We do Pre Purchase Inspections, its a good idea, it can save you from buying a junker.

I am a BMW trained tech.

Rocco

Redster
04-29-2006, 03:26 PM
How far are you from Kingston?

The seller is in Ottawa and I'm in Kitchener so I said I want to meet half way. If you're not too far maybe we can meet there.

I'm new in Ontario so I don't know it that well.

bmw_tech84
04-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Redster i STRONGLY recommend you do this at RMP, a private shop will do a MUCH better job at looking the car over. When i was shopping for my bmw, maranello wanted like 500+ to inspect it, took it to a private shop, paid 1/4 of that, got a better inspection than dealer. Having said that, make sure the tech is factory trained, and knows exactly what he's doing.

I'm not going to disagree that a small shop will be cheaper for a pre purchase inspection but what I want to know is why would you say that a small shop will do a MUCH better job than a certified bmw dealer?

Justin e36
04-29-2006, 04:15 PM
The e46 was inspected by Maranello BMW. It cost $150 to get done from top to bottom. They did a good job isolating any problems (which were very few) from the get-go. However, their inspection is quite limited to mainly wear & tear items like ball joints and such. They did miss a few minor things, like the headlight washer pump not working. I would've felt more comfortable if they checked the compression of the cylinders, inspected the condition of the spark plugs, and things like that.

Redster
04-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I'll have to find a place to do this because for both of us this will be one day on the road. So if everything is ok I want to buy the car right away. He has all service records, and it's 2000 540i with 114k so I don't expect major issues.

propr'one
04-29-2006, 05:03 PM
just like your other 540i had no issues?

i dont mean to take a stab at you man, inspect EVERY car you buy, even if its got 6 km's on it and you're buying it from a nun. dont be fooled by ANYTHING, and dont take ANY shortcuts. you wont regret it

Redster
04-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I learned the lesson, that's why I want to do PPI before I buy it. I never did it before and I neve rhad any issues with cars I bought, before this last 540 so now I'll make sure to check everything before I buy.

Understated
04-29-2006, 05:17 PM
inspect EVERY car you buy, even if its got 6 km's on it and you're buying it from a nun. dont be fooled by ANYTHING, and dont take ANY shortcuts. you wont regret it

welcome to my signature:D

Rampage
04-29-2006, 05:33 PM
I'll have to find a place to do this because for both of us this will be one day on the road. So if everything is ok I want to buy the car right away. He has all service records, and it's 2000 540i with 114k so I don't expect major issues.

RMP is a great shop, unfortunately, Bolton is not at all close to Kingston. I dont imagine that the seller would want to drive all the way to Bolton from Ottawa, not guarunteed that he will even sell the car. And like what was posted earlier, there isnt a BMW dealer in Kingston. Infact, I think that the closest one would be the BMW Experience Centre in Oshawa.

I go to school in Kingston, there must be some reputable shop there, as there a many profs that drive some very nice cars, and I dont image that they drive almost 300km for service to Toronto. Sorry, I cant recommended anything as I dont have a vehicle during the school months.

Best of luck though!

Joli
04-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Maybe you could pay the guy from RMP's a couple extra hundred bucks to come with you, and buy him lunch... It might save you a huge hassle down the road if they were willing?

RMPMOTORS
04-29-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm not going to disagree that a small shop will be cheaper for a pre purchase inspection but what I want to know is why would you say that a small shop will do a MUCH better job than a certified bmw dealer?

We would be cheaper and do just as good or a better inspection then a dealer, not to mention I am also a BMW Tech from a dealer. Just because it is a dealer does not mean that the tech working on your car is any better then the Canadian Tire down the road, many techs at the dealers are new from other dealers (honda, ford, gm) and don't even know the cars. I have many friends that work at the BMW dealers still and the storys I hear are unbelievable. Some of the techs at dealers are very good but who says that the new apprentice doesn't inspect your car?

Just my 2 cents.

Rocco

Redster
04-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Maybe you could pay the guy from RMP's a couple extra hundred bucks to come with you, and buy him lunch... It might save you a huge hassle down the road if they were willing?

This would be good but Im not sure if he can inspect the car on the road, without all the tools available in the shop?

Redster
04-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Rocco, so would you be able to inspect the car on the road? You can PM me with details (how much you'd charge etc).

Thanks

Wannabe
04-29-2006, 07:16 PM
I believe the Subaru Dealer in kingston deals with Euro Cars.

;)

Darkness95m3
04-30-2006, 03:40 AM

Dealers are a joke, they are a licence BMW shop to print money. However thats my opinion.

M3Ab
04-30-2006, 11:08 AM
The number one most important check to do on a used car IMO is a leak-down test on the engine, which you definitely can't do when you are meeting up halfway of anywhere unless it's at a shop that performs leak-down tests.

A leak-down test is not a compression test, it gives you a much better idea as to the shape of the motor, no matter how high or low the kilometers on the vehicle.

bmw_tech84
04-30-2006, 11:44 AM
We would be cheaper and do just as good or a better inspection then a dealer, not to mention I am also a BMW Tech from a dealer. Just because it is a dealer does not mean that the tech working on your car is any better then the Canadian Tire down the road, many techs at the dealers are new from other dealers (honda, ford, gm) and don't even know the cars. I have many friends that work at the BMW dealers still and the storys I hear are unbelievable. Some of the techs at dealers are very good but who says that the new apprentice doesn't inspect your car?

Just my 2 cents.

Rocco

I agree with you 100% but at the same time there are a whole lot of small shops that don't have any experience on bmw's and not to mention that a lot of them also have apprentices and unlicensed techs working for them as well so wouldn't that make it just as bad as an apprentice at a bmw dealer? I'm not hating on RMP because you guys specialize in bmw and i'm sure you do good work but i just don't understand why propone would say small shops do a MUCH better inspection because in a lot of situations that is not the case.

dtthiaga
04-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Selling a BMW 540i is not selling a $3000 VW. Most sellers know they have to be patient for the right buyer.

A) Go check the car out in Kingston. Drive the car, do a full check of the car yourself.

A.1) Ask if the car has been in any accidents. If he says no, make sure it's on the bill of sale. If he says ďhe doesnítĒ know, there is not much you can do. Itís not a crime to NOT disclose accidents upfront, but they canít lie about it when asked.

A.2) Ask about any repaints. Scratches happen. Look for repaint/overspray/colour mismatch.

A.3) Find out how many owners, and how long he's had the car. Before you go see it, ask him to have the ministry package with him. It will tell you how many owners, and how long each owner has had the car. Better yet, get the details over the phone/e-mail before going up.

A.4) I would probably do a carfax report before driving up. Get the VIN.

B) If everything checks out to your satisfaction, put a deposit down (not too large), and make the bill of sale subject to RPM Motors inspection and approval. Full refund if it doesn't. He must also agree to drive the car down to Bolton.

C) Pay the seller $50 worth of gas/time to drive the car out to Bolton to have the car checked out. Keep in mind, you're only doing this because you are really interested in the car, and will most likely buy it if everything is fine.

D) If you finalize the deal, leave the car at RPM, transfer the ownership, pay the money, and drive the guy back to Kingston in your old car. He can get a ride back from his friend/family from there.

It is a pain, but if the car is good, it is probably worth it

- I've driven from Toronto to Ottawa to check out a car twice. After all the checks, I ended up buying it. It was a hassle, but was happy with the decision.

- When I was looking for a 04-05 e46 for a friend, we drove many cars, had a few tested, and the sellers were very corporate. Some guys had the cars on the market for 1.5 months.

Happy car searching. :)

Redster
04-30-2006, 12:56 PM
dtthiaga, thanks for the tips. Yes I don't want to rush nto anything so I asked him to send me some more pictures (interior & exterior). I'll ask for the VIN and do the carfax chgeck (or even better, carproof?) and then go from there. The way things are now, i'd probably get the car to RPM to get it checked.

RMPMOTORS
04-30-2006, 07:55 PM
There is only soo much I can check without my tools. Your best bet is to get it up to the shop for a proper inspection.

Rocco

IT'S RMP

Redster
04-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I'll see how things work out after I get more pictures, run a carfax, and see the car. If everything seems fine I'll drive it there to get it inspected. Better safe than sorry.

Daddy
04-30-2006, 11:58 PM
I AM TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH MY MECHANICAL SAFETY INSPECTION FROM BMW OF TORONTO.

Paid $200 and got a list of things that needed to be fixed. Fine. They also mentioned that the car had some light repairs to the front bumper. Fine, it was disclosed to me by the seller. But they should have caught the fact that one of the rims was cracked in two places on the inner lip. Not huge cracks, but noticeable! Okay, replace it with the spare fifth tire/rim right? Well, lo and behold the fifth tire had curb rash galore. Actually curb rash would be too nice a term. Curb gouge galore is more like it. I mean I would rather be stranded than drive on that puppy.

So, it seems like they rotated the worst wheel out and placed it as a spare and put the best four out on the road (and one of which is the cracked rim). And to rub salt on the wound, the spare was down to 2/32nds!

Without a doubt, I will not buy another car without having either Charlie or Rocco check it out. From my one experience at a BMW dealership, I am not impressed.

Rampage
05-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Ok, so along the lines of pre-purchase inspections, Im looking at getting a car this summer. If the car that I am interested in is at a used car dealership, can I ask to have it taken to a private shop (ie RMP) for a PPI, understanding that I would pay for it?

No one in my family has ever bought a used car before, so this question may seem dumb:D

RMPMOTORS
05-01-2006, 10:03 PM
If the person you are buying the car from has nothing to hide, they should have no problem letting aanother mechanic inspect the car, even if it is a used car dealer. But why buy from a used dealer when you save on tax when buying private.

Rocco

Rampage
05-01-2006, 10:07 PM
If the person you are buying the car from has nothing to hide, they should have no problem letting aanother mechanic inspect the car, even if it is a used car dealer. But why buy from a used dealer when you save on tax when buying private.

Rocco

Thanks for the reply*th-up*

Idealy I want to buy private, but if I find a car Im looking for at a dealer, than I would consider getting it

Redster
05-01-2006, 10:55 PM
I'd suggest maybe waiting a bit longer and buying private. Like mentione before it saves you on tax (to save even more have a shop do evaluation), but more important is the fact that this way you know who had to car and they usualy have some service records.