PDA

View Full Version : EGT probe location?

Furious
04-29-2006, 02:22 AM
hey guys i wanted to know were you guys installed your EGT gauge probe? im hearing conflicting information , some say on the manifold , some say on the Y pipe. some say because you want to be as close to the engine as possible, and then some say you need to measure the temp over all 6 cylinders.

can someone shed some light?

bubsy12
04-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Tap your manifold on the 6th cylinder as that will be the first to run hotter/lean, since i'll assume the #1 cylinder gets hit with fuel first

...____
1 | __
2 | __
3 | __
4 | __
5 | __
6 |____

MarkD
04-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Tap your manifold on the 6th cylinder as that will be the first to run hotter/lean, since i'll assume the #1 cylinder gets hit with fuel first

...____
1 | __
2 | __
3 | __
4 | __
5 | __
6 |____

Now why would you assume that cylinder one gets "hit with fuel first" ???? :confused:

MarkD

bubsy12
04-30-2006, 10:38 AM
I've always been told that pressurized fluid of anysort will take the shortest path first.... that being said while driving any changes in pressure or pulse/fuel feed (by fuel management device) would most likely affect cylinder #1 first if the fuel rail is fed from that direction forward.

Furious
04-30-2006, 11:25 AM
well from the advice i was given on bfc, they are saying basically that you want to be 1" from the cylinder head at cylinder 1.

thinair
05-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Actually the fuel rail is connected to the fuel line at the back of the engine where Cyl #6. Also, why would it matter what end of the engine it starts with? If the fuel leans out it's going to be like 1000th of a second difference between the time the 1 and 6th go lean (or rich).

As far as the fuel rail pressure is concerned, I can't see it really mattering which cylinder you go with. There is going to be the same fuel pressure at injector #1 as #6. That's like saying there is more water pressure at a tap then at the end of a 100ft hose.

bubsy12
05-01-2006, 03:04 AM
out of curiosity, where is the turbo flange most commonly mounted on the manifold for BMW installs? between the middle exhaust ports (3/4) or on near/far (1/6)? Would that not be the ideal location for the egt probe install?