PDA

View Full Version : gauges...tolerances

Furious
04-27-2006, 01:45 AM
guys i would like to put together a bible on aftermarket gauges. and what are the tolerances (max/min, dangerous levels) for each gauge..

Air pressure
Air temperature
Air/Fuel ratio
Ammeter
Amp temperature
Boost pressure
Boost/Vacuum
Differential temperature
Exhaust gas temperature
Fuel level
Fuel pressure
Knock
Nitrous pressure
Oil pressure
Oil temperature
Temperature
Tire pressure/Internal tire temperature
Transfer case temperature
Transmission temperature
Vacuum
Voltmeter
Water temperature

Striker
04-27-2006, 02:07 AM
3/4 of those will depend on car and application, some do not exist and are not needed and some you can't do.

Furious
04-27-2006, 02:11 AM
well i would like as many possibilities. i realize some dont exist for our cars, i just popped all of them down. if they arent applicable please let me know we can update the list.

Striker
04-27-2006, 02:20 AM
guys i would like to put together a bible on aftermarket gauges. and what are the tolerances (max/min, dangerous levels) for each gauge..

Air pressure Not needed (only when flying)
Air temperature Not really needed, air cooler takes care of that
Air/Fuel ratio OK WB better
Ammeter Depends on battery's state of discharge
Amp temperature Does not exist, current causes wires to get hot but there is no amp tem gauge.
Boost pressure Same as below
Boost/Vacuum OK
Differential temperature Not needed
Exhaust gas temperature Wide band O2 and gauge is far better, like having a heart monitor connected to your engine
Fuel level You have that, low means bad :D
Fuel pressure OK
Knock Great for FI, not all DME software versions supports it
Nitrous pressure OK
Oil pressure OK
Oil temperature OK
Temperature Same as Air Temp, not needed, only when flying.
Tire pressure/Internal tire temperature Pressure OK, the latter not needed, exernal OK
Transfer case temperature Not needed
Transmission temperature Not needed
Vacuum Same as Boost/Vacuum
Voltmeter OK
Water temperature OK

All limits depends on car and apps.

SickFinga
04-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Id say we rather talk what guages we should have and where is the best place to put them.

I absolutely hate a-pillar gauge pods.

I like Fabio's setup, very clean, but having boost gauge out of the view isnt the best setup in my mind

Striker
04-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Id say we rather talk what guages we should have and where is the best place to put them.

I absolutely hate a-pillar gauge pods.

I like Fabio's setup, very clean, but having boost gauge out of the view isnt the best setup in my mind

I HATE pillar pods too. I made a replacement gauge panel for the HACV and it did not come out too bad. I bought some better material that will closely match the dash texture and will make mine out of that.

Gauges will be Air/Fuel ratio, boost, oil temperature (electrical) , oil pressure (electrical) on top (heat/AC vent replacement.)

Striker
04-27-2006, 08:03 PM
I did a quick one using some scrap material for the ash tray replacement.

Below (upper gear shift console) volt, fuel pressure (electrical) and amps.
PS. Gauges below were used for trial fitting only, all gauges will be Pro Comp series :D

Striker
04-27-2006, 08:07 PM
I also machined some offset gauge housings which will tilt the gauges towards the racing driver :D

Striker
04-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Here is the offset housing angle. I can machine it for any angle I want.

Striker
04-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Gauge panel trial fit.

thinair
04-28-2006, 02:15 AM
your transfer case temperature should never go above 70C :P

Generally for a street car, diff and tranny temp aren't really essential. How many gauges are you planning to cram into your interior??
What everyone needs is a horizon gauge, like the planes have.

Furious
04-28-2006, 02:31 AM
i really dont want any of those gauges.........id be happy with the clock.

seriously im really only trying to compile a good FYI

Darkness95m3
04-28-2006, 09:05 AM
i really dont want any of those gauges.........id be happy with the clock.

seriously im really only trying to compile a good FYI

^^:moon: ^^
JK
That's funny.

Darkness95m3
04-28-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm not to excited having pillar gauges however there was no room to place my boost and fuel pressure gauge. You can modify the dash however cutting into the dash is a "Ricer" way of doing things.

thinair
04-28-2006, 11:13 AM
The e36 has a lot of places for gauges in the dash, at least 6 if you relocate/remove the OBC, more if you remove the center vent, radio, etc.

There are also dual display gauges to help conserve space.

bubsy12
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
hmmm, removing OBC/center vent/radio etc. or removing the a-pillar... i'd choose the latter (which I did combined with a dual cluster pod), although some find it "ugly" it does make the gauges that much more visible to the driver without having to remove your eyes from the road for as long. Plus the ease of installation never hurts.

Furious
04-28-2006, 02:34 PM
its true, im not extactic that i have a Apilar pod, but really with 5 gauges i didnt have much room, right now i have my boost and oil pressure on the pillar but it oil press will be replaced with my EGT untill the wideband comes into play.

330ci05
04-28-2006, 02:50 PM
whats with all the gauges for?

bubsy12
04-28-2006, 02:55 PM
A/F, Oil Press, Fuel Press, Boost/Vac, EGT

Furious
04-28-2006, 03:39 PM
yeah right now actually my gauges are
boost
EGT
oil pressure
oil temp

i have two alternate spares that im not going to use (water temp and NB air/fuel)

im looking for an "afordable" WB Air/fuel gauge, but i have to be patient.

why all the gauges? lol good question.. well its good to monitor important and critical components.

330ci05
04-28-2006, 05:41 PM
yeah right now actually my gauges are
boost
EGT
oil pressure
oil temp

i have two alternate spares that im not going to use (water temp and NB air/fuel)

im looking for an "afordable" WB Air/fuel gauge, but i have to be patient.

why all the gauges? lol good question.. well its good to monitor important and critical components.

so it's good if u only have turbo or S/c ??

SickFinga
04-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Right now I got
Boost, EGT(not hooked up yet, but in the car) and AEM UEGO WB (not hooked up yet)

Furious
04-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Right now I got
Boost, EGT(not hooked up yet, but in the car) and AEM UEGO WB (not hooked up yet)

i want your UEGO.

lol

330ci05- well its pretty good to have if your car is boosted. but if your car is pretty much stock than it can still be useful. for those who track cars and arent boosted sometimes have gauges. you have to remember when you boost your car , your going well outside the intended limits of the cars components.