PDA

View Full Version : STI or 325i?

WRXXX
04-26-2006, 04:24 PM
My WRX lease is up so I am thinking of either upgrading to the '06 STI or 325i. I know, know...they are different cars. I would love to hv the power of the STI but the 93 octane requirement is a bitch! The only way to get that is from Sunoco. So I am thinking of getting the 325i instead.

What do u guys think? Crazy thing is, the lease payment for both cars are exactly the same per month w/ the same down payment!

How's the power of the 325i for u guys? Where's a good place to lease a new 325i? All suggestions are welcome. Tks

DAM
04-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I would go for the STI, but seeing as you just had a WRX, go for the 325

vadim321go
04-26-2006, 05:44 PM
thats a real toughy, i think u would get more performance out of the sti, but more comfort out of the 325

Cosmic 325i
04-26-2006, 06:32 PM
if you are looing at the price of gas its not really that much more from 89 octane to 94(from sunoco). most bimmers run like shit on regular gas anyway, so the difference from silver to gold or gold to premium94 will be about $3.50/tank-not too bad. unless you were considering a 330ci/i i would go for the STI.

rodo
04-26-2006, 06:53 PM
im sure he meant its a pain, meaning having to go to sunoco only, as opposed to any convenient gas station

AMG_POWER
04-26-2006, 07:12 PM
go test drive 325 and go buy STI.

crusher
04-26-2006, 07:23 PM
I would go with the STI older one though not the new look

///MsAniTy
04-26-2006, 07:36 PM
St-aaiiiiigghh

icedragon
04-26-2006, 11:15 PM
My WRX lease is up so I am thinking of either upgrading to the '06 STI or 325i. I know, know...they are different cars. I would love to hv the power of the STI but the 93 octane requirement is a bitch! The only way to get that is from Sunoco. So I am thinking of getting the 325i instead.

What do u guys think? Crazy thing is, the lease payment for both cars are exactly the same per month w/ the same down payment!

How's the power of the 325i for u guys? Where's a good place to lease a new 325i? All suggestions are welcome. Tks

I was thinkin of both cars as well.
The price difference between 91 octane (for 325i) and 93 octane (for STI) isn't very significant.
I personally chose the 325i. The interior of the Impreza STI seemed a bit tacky and outdated. The 325i interior was more modern and futuristic.
But it's really your call.

icedragon
04-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I bought my 325i from Parkview BMW.
I think I got a good deal and my sales rep was good.
PM me if u want details.

Axxe
04-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Fun car: STI

Practical car: Either

Cruising/pimp car: 325i

I'd get the STI.

Ant118
04-26-2006, 11:26 PM
STi, you will have way more fun with the STi. Espically if you like to go to the track.

Furious
04-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Sti > 325

superman123
04-27-2006, 01:41 AM
get a used m3

ArmDHomeless
04-27-2006, 09:06 AM
I'd take the 325, STI is a fun car but wouldn't want it as a daily driver

M3ti Compact
04-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Having driven both cars, it depends on what you want.

If you want style, luxury and prestige, BMW no question. The new Subaru's front end look especially ugly, and the interiors are cheap and boyracer. The only place where the BMW doesn't better the Subaru is the accelleration, therefore,

if you want performance, get the STi. The Subaru practically has endless accelleration, the turbo sounds cool and you can do corners as fast as you would dare and the tires won't even squeel (comes with practically slick tires).

FastM3
04-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Check out E36 M3's.
If your looking at new cars for the warranty/service then I'd pick STi or E90 anyday of the week, and I'm a hardcore BMW fan. But the STi is just incredible! It's practical, it's fun, it's facking fast, and it looks wicked!

WRXXX
04-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I figure most people would go w/ the STI. But the only problem is the 94 octane requirement. Its not the extra gas money issue, but rather a total pain in the ass to look for a Sunoco everytime u need to fill up. My friend has a map of all the Sunoco's in Toronto inside his STI all the time.

FastM3
04-27-2006, 10:01 AM
The new Subaru's front end look especially ugly, and the interiors are cheap and boyracer.
Front end takes getting used to.
Interior isn't far from cheap plastic or cheap looking!

Yeah, I figure most people would go w/ the STI. But the only problem is the 94 octane requirement. Its not the extra gas money issue, but rather a total pain in the ass to look for a Sunoco everytime u need to fill up. My friend has a map of all the Sunoco's in Toronto inside his STI all the time.
Are you guys really deprived of Sunoco's in Toronto, we have tonnnnns in Hamilton!

AMG_POWER
04-27-2006, 10:11 AM
I dunno i made mistake to go from a powerfull car to a less powerfull one and let me tell you IT SUCKS ASS. You WILL miss the power.

FastM3
04-27-2006, 10:16 AM
http://www.e55amg.homestead.com/E55AMG/E55_Beast1.JPG

Nothing. *wave*

Autotechnica
04-27-2006, 10:16 AM
wow, I'm surprized some of you guys would take a 325 over an STI. I think a lot of you simply praise BMW too much. Test drive the STI first, then get into the 325. No competition?

If you're a comfort and luxury guy, neither car is going to be any good really. But for performance, I don't see where the performance advantage is in the 325. A stock 325 vs a stock STI, even as a PIMP factor, the STI is better.

Bry

AMG_POWER
04-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Nothing. *wave*

sure, this nothing can eat 90% of sports and exotic cars in a drag race *shiner* Nothing + a lil of somthing and it is very very somthing belive me.*wiggle*

static
04-27-2006, 10:51 AM
ok i have a close friend who has STI (400hp with mods) , S2000 and used to have trickled out older miata.

he says that STI = pure torque (and gobbs of it), but NA miata = fun on track and S2000 = superfun on track, not very practical in city (NA = much better throttle response)

draw your own conclusions. Also look into new Legacy GT (in black)
325i power will NOT impress you (esspecially in a late 3er chassis)
also, the latest STI body is the best so far IMO

Alex

WRXXX
04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Ok, what about the e90 330i or the STI? Which one would u take?

FastM3
04-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Ok, what about the e90 330i or the STI? Which one would u take?

It's going to be the same price or much more depending on how you like your options. An E90 330i is $63,000 fully loaded. Which is obviously really high and much more then an STi. If you were willing to spend that much, then I'd get the 330i. But if your spending around $50,000 max, I'd go STi.

Your so lucky, I wish I was in this position!!!!!! *uzi*

WRXXX
04-27-2006, 12:22 PM
It's going to be the same price or much more depending on how you like your options. An E90 330i is $63,000 fully loaded. Which is obviously really high and much more then an STi. If you were willing to spend that much, then I'd get the 330i. But if your spending around $50,000 max, I'd go STi.

Your so lucky, I wish I was in this position!!!!!! *uzi*

Actually, I am leasing the car since I hv my own co. The monthly lease is roughly the same for the 325i and the STI (give or take $20/month). So it basically comes down to 330i or STI. Which one, prix aside?

cisco911
04-27-2006, 01:27 PM
My 2 cents: Find a way to import a used EVO from the states with a stage 3 GT turbo kit that will blow the doors off of an STI and next to anything else on the road, exotic or non exotic!!!! I think the STI is a nice car, but I think subaru is very lucky that we don't have evo's up in canada for sale new because no one would buy an STI given the option to buy an EVO!!!

BennyL
04-27-2006, 01:34 PM
well - if you like a bumpy ride and plenty of power - STi

if you like comfort, and are a relaxed driver - 325

now, to answer who ever it was that said the STi has a boyracer/tacky interior: you are indeed correct. BUT, thats why Subaru just released the 2007 STi LTD.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4084/1827/1600/2007-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-2.jpg

Only 800 are being produced (400 Satin White Pearl, 400 Urban Gray Metallic). If you can get your hands on one... do so.

Its basically an STi for the more refined type. They took off the big stupid spoiler from the back, and replaced it with a low lip-style spoiler. Added a front lip. Replaced the BBS rims with Enkei rims. Leather interior. Heated seats. Power glass moonroof.

In other words - its a nice STi. Finally.

Blades
04-27-2006, 01:45 PM
what price range are you looking at because for the price i wouldnt get either. Did you test out any other cars? G35, 350z, used M3, etc

I can tell you that I had all the paper work signed for a WRX (non sti) and I took the BMW 330xi for a test .. it had more push and smoother ride .. bought the bmw and told subaru i couldnt finance there car :D

WRXXX
04-27-2006, 02:05 PM
what price range are you looking at because for the price i wouldnt get either. Did you test out any other cars? G35, 350z, used M3, etc

I can tell you that I had all the paper work signed for a WRX (non sti) and I took the BMW 330xi for a test .. it had more push and smoother ride .. bought the bmw and told subaru i couldnt finance there car :D

G35 = no, because they will hv a redesign this year w/ rumored more hp
350Z= no, no practical. Tons of mechanical problems. My cousin has on.
Used M3 = high maintanance costs
Golf GTI = good but we all know VW's reliability. I use to hv one. Check out www.myvwlemon.com
Legacy GT = nice but too plain and geezer looking
Volvo S40 T5 = nice but not into FWD
S2000 = handles like a scalpel but very frantic and no low end
RX8 = somebody slap a turbo on this thing!
Mustang GT = awesome power but mechanical problems galore for the 05 models
Audi S4 = over priced and heavy as hell
BMW 325i = smooth, refine, but a bit weak on the torgue
STI = awesome package but requires 93 AKI. A bit bumpy

The list above are the cars I hv test drived lately.

FastM3
04-27-2006, 02:09 PM
now, to answer who ever it was that said the STi has a boyracer/tacky interior: you are indeed correct. BUT, thats why Subaru just released the 2007 STi LTD.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4084/1827/1600/2007-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-2.jpg

Only 800 are being produced (400 Satin White Pearl, 400 Urban Gray Metallic). If you can get your hands on one... do so.

Its basically an STi for the more refined type. They took off the big stupid spoiler from the back, and replaced it with a low lip-style spoiler. Added a front lip. Replaced the BBS rims with Enkei rims. Leather interior. Heated seats. Power glass moonroof.

In other words - its a nice STi. Finally.

More like it's a fake STi.

The STi was produced as a replica of the rally vehicle. When you change things and/or replace parts with different ones, it is no longer the replica. It's made how it is for a reason and it shouldn't be changed.
The STi LTD is just like owning a 330i and putting an M3 badge on the boot.

I don't get how people diss the interior of all things. :confused:

Darkness95m3
04-27-2006, 05:15 PM
STI is a great ride. However I would buy a new E90. I just met one that has a e90 and what a mahine.

Blades
04-27-2006, 05:18 PM
G35 = no, because they will hv a redesign this year w/ rumored more hp
350Z= no, no practical. Tons of mechanical problems. My cousin has on.
Used M3 = high maintanance costs
Golf GTI = good but we all know VW's reliability. I use to hv one. Check out www.myvwlemon.com
Legacy GT = nice but too plain and geezer looking
Volvo S40 T5 = nice but not into FWD
S2000 = handles like a scalpel but very frantic and no low end
RX8 = somebody slap a turbo on this thing!
Mustang GT = awesome power but mechanical problems galore for the 05 models
Audi S4 = over priced and heavy as hell
BMW 325i = smooth, refine, but a bit weak on the torgue
STI = awesome package but requires 93 AKI. A bit bumpy

The list above are the cars I hv test drived lately.

I havent heard any mechanical problems with the 350z ... do you mind sharing what they are or where you heard of these. Is your cousins car first year model?

superman123
04-27-2006, 06:33 PM
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=587905&adid=5167272

there problem solved

BennyL
04-27-2006, 09:26 PM
fake STi? are you kidding me?

first of all, its being made by Subaru - nothing fake about it.

second of all. slapping an M3 badge on a 330 is NOTHING like having an STi Limited. Because the Limited is the same car... same engine, same power, same performance numbers.

The STi Limited is basically an STi, but nicer. That ridiculous wing on the back of the STi is hideous. The interior is tacky - the LTD leather interior is actually nice.

Its an STi with less rice, and a bit more class.

STi
-rice
+class
=STi Limited

See?

BMW325BMW
04-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Actually, I am leasing the car since I hv my own co. The monthly lease is roughly the same for the 325i and the STI (give or take $20/month). So it basically comes down to 330i or STI. Which one, prix aside?

owning your own business, dont u think it would make a better impression on your clients if you pull up in a BMW, rather than a STI? in my opinion anyways. unless your company deals with tricking out cars, than i would go STI

spooner_dee
04-28-2006, 08:35 PM
new sti's are ugly as sin.

M3ti Compact
04-28-2006, 10:26 PM
I havent heard any mechanical problems with the 350z ... do you mind sharing what they are or where you heard of these. Is your cousins car first year model?

I've heard a lot of stores about these cars too...but mostly electrical problems.

One of my classmates parents had one and it caught fire sitting by itself in the garage. The fire department had to pull it out.

Some guy on ClubSi Ontario also has one and he's got a horror story every other week.

FastM3
04-29-2006, 07:47 PM
fake STi? are you kidding me?

first of all, its being made by Subaru - nothing fake about it.

second of all. slapping an M3 badge on a 330 is NOTHING like having an STi Limited. Because the Limited is the same car... same engine, same power, same performance numbers.

The STi Limited is basically an STi, but nicer. That ridiculous wing on the back of the STi is hideous. The interior is tacky - the LTD leather interior is actually nice.

Its an STi with less rice, and a bit more class.

STi
-rice
+class
=STi Limited

See?

I KNOW it's made by Subaru. What I mean by "fake" is that it's not a true STi, it's not a true replica of the rally car.
The "hideous" and "ridiculous" wing serves a purpose, and is also part of the real STi, so why take it off? Rally cars don't have leather in them. :rolleyes: And the interior on the 2005+ models are much nicer and much sharper then any other Subaru model.