PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a new Windshield! OEM, or PPG Aftermarket w/rain sensor?

rendered
04-25-2006, 11:59 AM
I Don't know what to do! :(

I have a huge crack that spread all the way up my windshield... I was suposed to get it done last week, by my usual windshield guy, with an OEM Pilkinton rain sensor windshield for my 330ci installed with new moulding for $460... he never called me back. I called on the weekend, and he said $550 now. So I figured oh well, still a good deal, lets do it. I called him numerous times, and no reply! soo f that.

I have another guy who said he could do a PPG rain sensor windshield for $380-$400 installed with new moulding and lifetime garantee against defects in the windshield and lifetime install warranty. The same glass shop wanted $570 for OEM glass and install, and also a LIFETIME warranty on install and glass.

PPG is high quality aftermarket american made glass. or most glass guys seem to say.

I did some research and read about guys in the states getting these PPG windshields with rain sensors installed and the rain sensor fails and doesn;t work.

Will I have these same problems with aftermarket glass with rain sensors?

Now Maranello parts says they can sell me a Pilkington OE 330ci Rain sensor windshield and Moudling for $450 Taxes IN. now I just need to find someone who can match that price and do the install for $100.

What do you guys reccomend? Aftermarket PPG or OEM glass? Where should I get it installed? The dealer seems to contract these guys who work out of their van's anyways! Better I goto a auto glass shop who specializes in autoglass replacement, no?

rendered
04-25-2006, 01:27 PM
help :(

Proliphic
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I dont know much about glass but if they both give the same warrenty and glass is glass then go with the cheaper of the 2

propr'one
04-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Mark, from what i understand you weren't sure if you were gonna keep the car for a long time. My suggestion is, if you plan to sell the car soon, go OEM. If you plan to keep it for a while, go with what you prefer. If you want rain sensing glass, go for it. Its not enough of a price difference to be too much motivated by cost, go for what will be more useful for you. Since both products have a lifetime warranty, and if you seem to be dealing with a reputable shop, its entirely a personal decision

having said that, yes the dealer may outsource it to people who seem shady, but if the dealer outsources to them, its probably for a reason

Justin e36
04-25-2006, 04:57 PM
OEM or PPG are the highest quality. Aftermarket glass for BMW's is usually made by Crinimex, which abides by all safety standards. They make the OEM windshields for GM vehicles.

I can probably get your windshield professionally installed for around $100 if you need, maybe a few bucks more.

rendered
04-26-2006, 03:23 AM
I don't like how weak the OEM glass is, I thought PPG would be better, but people are saying on E46fanatics that their PPG rain sensor glass doesn't work at all...

570 for OEM compared 400 for PPG... I guess its only 170 difference?

I just want more durable glass, I don;t think the OEM is very durable at all, considering all the pitting, and cracks from stones barely hitting it... and the long crack that occured just from letting go of the wiper blade by accident, and inch over the glass!

rendered
04-26-2006, 06:44 PM
any windshield experts on this forum? or experienced E46 windshield buyers?