PDA

View Full Version : Quebec cars - reality or fiction?

Redster
04-25-2006, 07:50 AM
I took my 540 back yesterday, and same day I found another one. It is 99 540i Sport with 120k for $20500, and it had two sets of rims/tires (m package and deep dish mesh w/ winters) BUT car is from Quebec and I heard that evend ealer don't like buying cars from quebec because they like to change the mileage there often. Any truth in this?

King Luis
04-25-2006, 08:04 AM
i saw a show awhile back that said quebec its one of the worst provinces to change milage or claim cars haven't been in a accident when they have.
get the vin and use car fax. not all cars from there are crooked.

xBMWx
04-25-2006, 08:07 AM
*sad*
C'mon dudes I dont think we dont cheap the mileage more than any other place.

Redster
04-25-2006, 08:09 AM
He showed me carfax (US) but mileage looks a bit funny. In 01 there's 20k miles, 03 40k, and in 05 (June I think) 55k miles ( so lets say 80k km) now it has 120k, so in less than a year 40k km, and that's with almost a month sitting at this dealership.

Would UVIP (from MTO) be better source for info on this car?

tlinkletter
04-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Check and see if the ownership changed hands at about the same time as the miliage rate. I put roughly 120,000km on my van in 2 years but the fellow who was running it before me had only roughly put about 30,000.

kuds
04-25-2006, 08:44 AM
It is true that we have some dealerships with very bad rep when it comes to car care and mileage. The major one is H. Gregoire. If you are planning on getting it from there, look elsewhere.

DAM
04-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Can't you just take it to a dealership, they should know the car well enough to tell you if the kms are correct

Nascar318is
04-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Some of them are shady. I know Mega Mitsubishi in Hull were bad for rolling back the odometers, it's like walking into a walmart.... If you do decide to get this car, don't forget that Quebec doesn't need e-testing, so check the appropriate things to make sure it'll pass.

Where did you see this car, if you don't mind me asking? Maybe you could get one of the fellow board members to go and check it out for rust and what not and let you know if it's worth taking a look at.

Just a quick note: when you register your car you have to tell them your KM's. That's how they can tell if the OD has been reduced over time. So they might have records as well. http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.html

Deep 3.2TL
04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
I took my 540 back yesterday, and same day I found another one. It is 99 540i Sport with 120k for $20500, and it had two sets of rims/tires (m package and deep dish mesh w/ winters) BUT car is from Quebec and I heard that evend ealer don't like buying cars from quebec because they like to change the mileage there often. Any truth in this?

What was the shop that you got your original 540 at?

Redster
04-25-2006, 07:05 PM
You got a PM.

WhadUpp
04-25-2006, 07:48 PM
A while back(4 years ago) I witnessed 2 trailer loads of e36's 328's and 328is' being loaded off at Town & Country and all were from Quebec:huh?:

I dont care how great they looked I wouldnt want to touch any of them with a 10 foot pole.

djcontra
04-25-2006, 08:01 PM
after seeing how people drive in montreal, i'll never buy a quebec car. As for changing the odometer on a bmw, it's easier than you think. There are several readily available devices which can do it for under $200 :)

jeffrie
04-25-2006, 08:19 PM
hehe, some serius shady people over on this side, alway's be carefull with a Qubec car. Say the ratio of a car for sale that has been neglected is most likly close to 50/50. Although their are alot that are the opposite, genarly thoes never go up for sale though unless you know a guy that know's a guy ect.......

Daddy
04-25-2006, 09:09 PM
after seeing how people drive in montreal, i'll never buy a quebec car. As for changing the odometer on a bmw, it's easier than you think. There are several readily available devices which can do it for under $200 :)

Even the newer electronic odometers?

propr'one
04-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Its easy to to

i dont think my car's ever BEEN in quebec, let alone is from there:D

but it will be soon. montreeal:D:D:D:D

djcontra
04-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Even the newer electronic odometers?

those especially!

Daddy
04-26-2006, 12:12 AM
HOLY CRAP. I did not know that (and many other things)...

And is there a way to tell that the odo has been tampered with?

Eurostyle
04-26-2006, 12:34 AM
HOLY CRAP. I did not know that (and many other things)...

And is there a way to tell that the odo has been tampered with?

YES, the records! Unless you have complete maintenance records the milage can be tampered with!

In general, cars from Quebec have that problem, or accidents, or in the best case a great winter with LOTS of salt!

For example, i was checking out a car for a friend (car was known to be from Montreal), sold here by a large dealer, low milage, clean car fax and all the rest...Well after carefull examination, i found that the car was repainted in the rear. At first the dealre kept denying it, then they gave a discount...

Furious
04-26-2006, 12:38 AM
if your gonna buy a car, you really need to make 100% sure in your mind its legit. i would always walk away from something i wasnt sure of. certified cars are usually the way to go , however you definately pay for it.. if you have the option to take it to a mechanic you trust thats a huge relief as well. you have to play hardball, if they dont let you than walk.

simsima
04-26-2006, 08:00 PM
If you're in doubt and the math doesn't work out, I would say don't bother. You don't want that wonder hanging over your head. Just looking at www.trader.ca which is a very small percentage of cars around town, there are a few out there in the same price range. This one even has the 'Individual' package http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=97213&adid=5067047

Redster
04-27-2006, 12:29 AM
What exactly individual package means?

As far as price, I'm looking for something up to $23k, with tax.

simsima
04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Individual package is custom ~anything~. I was looking at a 760iL Individual @ downtown BMW. It has suede dash and ceiling liner. SICK! In this case it doesn't say what they did in the ad.

BMW325BMW
04-27-2006, 10:01 PM
a friend of mine went to a dealer auction and he said one of the cars he was looking at, was from Quebec and it said 60 000km on the odometer but in the window, the next scheduled oil change was at 110 000km. rolled back or what?

Redster
04-27-2006, 10:35 PM
One dealer (used car dealer) told me that would never buy quebec car at an auction, and most dealers avoid them.

WhadUpp
04-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Why is Town & Country BMW buying loads of used Quebec cars is an interesting question? :huh?:

Redster
04-27-2006, 10:52 PM
I also know a guy who buys cars in Quebec (mostly BMWs) and then sends them to Nova Scotia. I'd never buy it from him, and he said he wouldn't sell one to me :)

IMHO the best way is to go either with a CPO or find private sale w/ service records.

EuroSpectacle
04-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Im 101% sure you cannot get a Used Vehicle Sales Package... Before the car has an ontario ownership... My duster I just got from quebec. And I was like if I cannot recieve this sales package how do I know if its been in an accident or if there is any liens on it... They couldnt answer me.. They just said you just hope. and something about wait a month or so and you can run a UVSP

Bmwstylz
04-29-2006, 01:36 AM
I cant really see Quebec cars being any worse than Ontario, other than the hearsay we see here.

If you have dealer service records you will know you are buying a good car. 20 grand is alot to spend on a car with no service history...

Caveat Emptor

Redster
04-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Dealer lowered the price for that car to $20,500 (was $22,000).

No service history from any bmw deaslership, so I decide to pass.

bmdbley'sBro
04-29-2006, 11:09 AM
I heard in Ontario they drink the blood of infants :eek:

:D No, but every News thing i've seen on used cars always said B.C was the worst for rollbacks & selling salvage cars as "mint".

quebec has harsh winters but the whole region does, Ont too
roads freeze & thaw creating heaves, pot holes, death pits, etc.
so suspensions & rust should always be looked for.

if you're good you can tell alot of things from a test drive
But with any used car (even if semi knowledgeable about cars)
your best to try and get it on a hoist for a mech to look at

if the seller is shady he won't want you to have it inspected.