PDA

View Full Version : Kumho Tires-The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

ara325
04-20-2006, 12:18 PM
So I blew a front tire yesterday...good timing b/c all 4 tires are bald and need to be replaced anyways. I've found some good pricing on Kumho tires, but have never owned Kumho's.

What do you guys know about Kumho's...good?...bad?

p.s. I currently have Michelin Pilot HZ (i think) on the front, and Toyo Proxes T1 Plus in the rear.

Mystikal
04-20-2006, 12:23 PM
WHEELS AND TIRES FORUM. DAMMIT.

And which Kumho. SPTs and MXs are sexy good.

propr'one
04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
ecstenza 712's aren't tires. they're like jacks you can mount your car on so check the ride height. i've got em in the back, its crazy easy to throw the back end out, and my 328 doesn't really have that much torque

mpower1226
04-20-2006, 04:07 PM
if you are not gonna track your car every weekend, then I suggest you check out the nexen tires, they are very comfrotable, sidewall looks good, its VERY quite plus inexpensive. Nexen is new korean company(well not new, they have been making tires as long as kumho, hankook, general(its also korean made) thats available now to us. I suggest you check it out, as I was pretty amazed that it is really quite and comfy on my friend's audi.(17inch 225/45/17).

ara325
04-20-2006, 05:04 PM
thanks guys.

Oyster
04-20-2006, 05:15 PM
wal mart carries nixen tires

Mystikal
04-20-2006, 11:31 PM
ecstenza 712's aren't tires. they're like jacks you can mount your car on so check the ride height. i've got em in the back, its crazy easy to throw the back end out, and my 328 doesn't really have that much torque

712's really aren't that bad. Internet chatter seems to convince people otherwise.

FWIW, I had a pair of them combined with a pair of expensive Goodyear Eagle GS-D2's with my last set of wheels, and whether I put one set on the back or vice versa the car had essentially the same balance in steady state cornering. The Kumho's actually had slightly better steering response and sidewall strength.

EuroSpectacle
04-26-2006, 04:48 PM
I could be wrong...
But I beleive nexen is kumho's Ripple effect... I could be wrong.. My tire guys, got name brand tires, made by name brand but branded as a nexen, viking.. so on so forth.

ara325
04-26-2006, 08:48 PM
I think i'm going with Yok's AVS es 100

any comments about them? I've had Yok's A520 and they were awesome so i'm sure these should be decent...they share somewhat similar water channeling tread design.

Mystikal
04-26-2006, 10:40 PM

any comments about them? I've had Yok's A520 and they were awesome so i'm sure these should be decent...they share somewhat similar water channeling tread design.

They suck in the wet, they're loud, they wear fast, and they ride hard.

On the good side, they're sticky in the dry and have great response.

Overall, there are much better choices. And yeah the A520's rocked back in the day.

WhadUpp
04-26-2006, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=Mystikal]712's really aren't that bad. Internet chatter seems to convince people otherwise.

I dunno but I've had them and they sucked ass but the ones I really liked were the Toyo T1-S which are now redesighned as T1-Rs which are even better.

windsor318is
04-26-2006, 11:28 PM
im happy with my kumho's thus far they are the new SPT's, they are nice and sticky in the dry and rain. they are at par with the pirelli p7000 i had before them. lets see how long they last though.......

///M-TRD3
04-26-2006, 11:33 PM
I currently have Dunlop SP Sport FM 901's on my car but one has a major issue so I want to replace it, do any of the tire guru's (Jay) know of any tire that is very similar or comparable to it??

Mystikal
04-26-2006, 11:40 PM
I currently have Dunlop SP Sport FM 901's on my car but one has a major issue so I want to replace it, do any of the tire guru's (Jay) know of any tire that is very similar or comparable to it??

Anything made out of stone or marble will feel similar to FM901's...try that.

Axxe
04-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Anything made out of stone or marble will feel similar to FM901's...try that.

Anyone at the E30 meet can vouch for that after they saw me ass out in 3rd under moderate acceleration *th-up*

EuroSpectacle
04-27-2006, 09:50 AM

On the good side, they're sticky in the dry and have great response.

Overall, there are much better choices. And yeah the A520's rocked back in the day.

Exactly what I would have said. Dry response is good, but the tread wear will turn you off of them.

///M-TRD3
04-27-2006, 10:08 AM
How about the tire General Exclaim UHP? Anyone tried or have feedback.
It rank by comparison and write up in reviews speak highly of it, but ive never really heard of them.

Or Vredestein Sport Trac 2 Tires? Really curious about those also.

WhadUpp
04-27-2006, 11:12 AM
712's when are noisy and even noisier when they are wearing out. Get some earplugs if you intend on driving on the highway with them.

propr'one
04-27-2006, 11:35 AM
712's really aren't that bad. Internet chatter seems to convince people otherwise.

take my car for a spin. 50% 712's in back, you'll disagree soon

i have yoko EVS100's in front. Since they're in front, i can't really say too much about them, except they're damn quiet, seem to have a solid sidewall and are responsive to steering input

ara325
04-27-2006, 12:21 PM

i have yoko EVS100's in front. Since they're in front, i can't really say too much about them, except they're damn quiet, seem to have a solid sidewall and are responsive to steering input

Do they stick well when making hard right/left turns without giving you the feeling that "i might lose it soon"?

WhadUpp
04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
The feeling is that you will lose it soon, pretty weak sidewalls IMHO

ara325
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Well here's a write-up on them. Yokohama seems pretty confident with the highest possible rating for traction & temperature, as well as a treadwear rating of 280. Plus, they're offering a 30 day money-back guarantee.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/avses100.pdf

WhadUpp
04-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Yokohama>Kumho any day anytime

I used to have A520's a long while back, those were so sticky

ara325
04-27-2006, 12:31 PM

niiiiiiiiiiiice, that's what 'm talkin' 'bout!

Mystikal
04-27-2006, 02:08 PM
How about the tire General Exclaim UHP? Anyone tried or have feedback.
It rank by comparison and write up in reviews speak highly of it, but ive never really heard of them.

Or Vredestein Sport Trac 2 Tires? Really curious about those also.

The Generals are getting pretty good reviews, but there are better choices.

No idea on the Vredestein's.

Mystikal
04-27-2006, 02:10 PM

I had 225/45/16 712's on for 2 months last fall, at 4/32nds. They were great tires, and real on-track testing data shows them to be very capable.

Mystikal
04-27-2006, 02:11 PM

I used to have A520's a long while back, those were so sticky

I hate it when people generalize like that.

Every damn tire company that makes an excellent tire makes a horrible one too. There is no such thing as a "good" company or a "bad" company, they all have their strong products and their weak products.

And A520's kicked ass. ES100's don't.

Mystikal
04-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Well here's a write-up on them. Yokohama seems pretty confident with the highest possible rating for traction & temperature, as well as a treadwear rating of 280. Plus, they're offering a 30 day money-back guarantee.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/avses100.pdf

Any tire that doesn't have AA and A traction and temperature ratings today is complete garbage, those tests are outdated by about 15 years.

Treadwear rating is a completely fictional figure dreamed up by manufacturers. It means absolutely nothing in the real world.

ara325
04-27-2006, 04:33 PM
So, what's the traction rating on the ES100's?...they're just saying highest possible. I've called about 5-6 tire places and not one of them has recommended the Kumho's over the Yok's. As a matter of fact, they're all saying that the es100's are a great tire for the price...of course they want to make a sale too, but they could be pitching me other tires as well.

I know that better tires exist (obviously), but i'm sick and tired of wasting a lot of money on tires that only last a couple seasons max...if that. And finding 225/45/16 used is like looking for a needle in a haystsack.

If there's other good tires you guys can think of in the same range as the above, please let me know...i'd like to check them out.

propr'one
04-27-2006, 05:01 PM
try finding 235/40/18's. my tires cost at least 200$ each for cheapies, PS2's would be like 2K for 4

ara325
04-27-2006, 05:53 PM
try finding 235/40/18's. my tires cost at least 200$ each for cheapies, PS2's would be like 2K for 4

YIKES!

If i'm understanding your previous post before, it looks like you have/had 712's in the back and es100's in the front. Which one's are you happier with...I understand that it's hard to judge rear tires from front, but maybe you can give me a general idea.*th-up*

Mystikal
04-27-2006, 06:19 PM
So, what's the traction rating on the ES100's?...they're just saying highest possible. I've called about 5-6 tire places and not one of them has recommended the Kumho's over the Yok's. As a matter of fact, they're all saying that the es100's are a great tire for the price...of course they want to make a sale too, but they could be pitching me other tires as well.

I know that better tires exist (obviously), but i'm sick and tired of wasting a lot of money on tires that only last a couple seasons max...if that. And finding 225/45/16 used is like looking for a needle in a haystsack.

If there's other good tires you guys can think of in the same range as the above, please let me know...i'd like to check them out.

The AA rating is EASY to achieve. Every even half-assed performance tire can manage it.

In 225/45/16 get Kumho SPTs (which are better than ES100s) or the ultimate, the Hankook RS-2. They're both cheaper than the ES100 and a lot better tires all around.

ara325
04-27-2006, 08:10 PM
The AA rating is EASY to achieve. Every even half-assed performance tire can manage it.

In 225/45/16 get Kumho SPTs (which are better than ES100s) or the ultimate, the Hankook RS-2. They're both cheaper than the ES100 and a lot better tires all around.

Thx*th-up*

I checked out the SPT's and they're not bad either...looks like good water channelling and more centre rib...and ~$25 less/tire than the es100's. But, it's 2 days delivery and i want to get them on Sat, so it's most probably going to be the es100's.

Then it's off to get my o2 sensor...faaaaack, this better solve my problem*uzi*

*wave* bye-bye tax refund...or part thereof:D

///M-TRD3
04-27-2006, 08:14 PM
^^^
Thanks for the input Jay. Im still super curious about the Vredstein Sport Trac 2's tho, cuz I hear amazing things about them, but have never heard of the tire. To make things more interesting a buddy of my dads offered me 2 brand new installed at a hell of a price so im thinking of going with them which is why im looking for any feedback first.

Mystikal
04-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Thx*th-up*

I checked out the SPT's and they're not bad either...looks like good water channelling and more centre rib...and ~$25 less/tire than the es100's. But, it's 2 days delivery and i want to get them on Sat, so it's most probably going to be the es100's.

Are you seriously going to compromise your tires (really the most important part of any car) because of a one-day holdup?

Find somewhere that has them in stock. Wheels Direct would be my first try, their warehouse is huge.

windsor318is
04-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Thx*th-up*

ARA do not buy your O2 from the dealer or anywhere other than ebay, you can find original bosch ones for about 65 bucks US, as appose to over 200 at the dealer

Gamite
04-28-2006, 02:26 AM
bottom line on 712's, awesome tires out of the box.

after 2 months, u wish you didn't buy them. loud, wear fairly quick. traction also considerably decreases.

Justin e36
04-28-2006, 03:47 AM

Have had them for a year now. Don't recommend them. The wear on them is incredible to be honest... considering I had them on all of summer 2005, and didn't put my winter tires on until January '06, and all 4 are still over 90% tread left. They are very sticky in the dry, not too bad in the wet. They are horrible when it gets cold though. They can get a bit loud when inflated above 34PSI, which doesn't really bother me too much... I'm not driving a 7er.

My problem with them is tire squirm... it's ridiculously horrible. My winter tires (Viking Snow Tech's) are even more pleasurable for city driving. Regardless of the fact that it's on a 16" rim which adds ride comfort, they simply drive straight. I can keep my hands off the steering wheel and hit a pot hole, and the car won't lurch to the side... she'll keep going straight. The ES100's on the other hand are a constant battle with the steering wheel... it's always pulling to one side or the other, following the grooves of the road. If I come to a stop light and let go of the steering wheel, the wheel will jerk randomly in both directions a good 15 times before I stop half way in another lane. It looks like my steering wheel has Parkinson's. I've recently been playing more with tire pressures, and I find that pumping them up to 38PSI helps quite a bit, though not totally. Very uncool.. so much so that I just picked up some new Pirelli's for the front... so looks like I'll be mixing tires for a while, as I'll keep the Yoko's on the back, can't afford brand new Pirelli 255 tires.

I can't compare to many other summer tires. Only Potenza's, and Kumho 712's... both of which didn't squirm as much for me, though neither sets were a staggered setup. The Kumho's wore horribly quick, and I didn't feel confident with them in the rain.

When I put the new tires on, I will be able to judge more accurately if the problems I've had are truly a trait of the tires, or if it's just my setup.

The only way I would recommend you buy the ES100's at this point, is if you're looking for 225/40/18's.. in which case, I'll have a pair up for sale soon. *shiner*

ara325
04-28-2006, 06:41 AM
Are you seriously going to compromise your tires (really the most important part of any car) because of a one-day holdup?

Find somewhere that has them in stock. Wheels Direct would be my first try, their warehouse is huge.

No, the delivery is not the biggest reason...I personally like the es design much better than the Kumho's, and i've had Yoke's and feel more comfortable going with a recognized brand. IMO, the Kumho's look like an aggressive all-season radial and the general feeling i'm getting is that the Yok's are the wiser choice.

Sounds like neither one of these tires are really that good, so i just might do some more shopping on lunch hour today, or just say "farg it" and buy a set already!

BTW, one of the main reasons i'm looking at these lines of tires is b/c i don't want to drop big bucks?...Wheels Direct is pretty expensive...up there with Tiremag. The least expensive place I found was Tire World in Brampton.

ara325
04-28-2006, 06:46 AM
ARA do not buy your O2 from the dealer or anywhere other than ebay, you can find original bosch ones for about 65 bucks US, as appose to over 200 at the dealer

Thanks Al, i'm actually buying Bosch OEM from an aftermarket dealer for like $90. By the time i land the US order (net of exchange, duty, & taxes) i'll only save like $3.
Do you like your Kumho's? What model do you have?

Julian & Justin: thx for your input. Justin, I know what you mean about tire squirm, as I used to have a set of BS Potenza RE something or another (they had like 2 or 3 different tread patterns on one tire) and they followed every crack in the road. To your point though, keep the tires well inflated and it should be better. It's comfotable driving on 33 psi tires, but you can't match the performance at 38-44 psi.

ara325
04-28-2006, 01:09 PM
decisions, decisions...well i just found out that the 712's are discontinued, so now it's the SPT or ES100.

http://www.wheelmax.com/tire_list.asp#AVS%20ES100

EuroSpectacle
04-28-2006, 02:46 PM
discontinued or superceeded.. Theres prolly new supra's

WhadUpp
04-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Stay away from 712's. it about time they are discontinued.

Like I said before Yokes are the way to go, dont bother with Kumho(I don't care if their MX line is good or not, thats not what youre looking to get anyway). All my posts were from experience of using various tires over 17 years. Ive had Generals, Dunlops, Michelins, Goodyear Eagle, Potenzas, Toyo, yokohama, Kumhos etc etc even crappy tire versions

What I.m really saying is that some tire companys put alot of R&D into their development of tires and the quality shows through even after surpassing the halfway mark of treadwear and Yokohama has always produced a quality tire through their range and line-up. Heck even my old Avid H4's were better than the 712's*shiner*

ara325
04-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Stay away from 712's. it about time they are discontinued.

Like I said before Yokes are the way to go, dont bother with Kumho(I don't care if their MX line is good or not, thats not what youre looking to get anyway). All my posts were from experience of using various tires over 17 years. Ive had Generals, Dunlops, Michelins, Goodyear Eagle, Potenzas, Toyo, yokohama, Kumhos etc etc even crappy tire versions

What I.m really saying is that some tire companys put alot of R&D into their development of tires and the quality shows through even after surpassing the halfway mark of treadwear and Yokohama has always produced a quality tire through their range and line-up. Heck even my old Avid H4's were better than the 712's*shiner*

thx dude!*th-up* as much as i've been shopping, getting opinions (which sometimes makes it even harder) and checking out tires, I keep reverting back to the Yokies. Looks like that what i'll be going with.

Ignorance may have been easier for me here "I didn't know these tires were shit":D NO, NO...j/k. I really do appreciate everyone's input.

Mystikal
04-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Reading this thread is making me cry/scream/punch/kick/throw things.

I quit.

ara325
04-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Reading this thread is making me cry/scream/punch/kick/throw things.

I quit.

temper, temper...*no-no* here i'll add fuel to your fire:...j/k

I drove from Brampton to North York with the new tires this a.m. I took it on the 401 and am pretty impressed with the smoothness and quietness (if that's even a word), I also immediately noticed that it's a lot easier to turn the steering wheel when making rights & lefts. The cold traction could be better for sure, but I got 'em squacking after the trip across the four-o-one. Overall, i'm happy with them, i was expecting worse.*th-up*

Thanks for your input guys.*th-up*

EuroSpectacle
05-01-2006, 10:34 AM
glad your happy... but kumho makes a good tire.. regardless of what whaddup's had. Kumho, just ,I repeat just started making good tires.
so for his 17 years of tire buying experiance, and the brands he listed I come to the conclusion that out of 9 manufacturers, doesnt matter which one. His tires from any given manufacturer have not lasted more than 2 years.

Which just says you dont know tires,

Im driving on winters from 8 years ago. and they are still brand new and have 90% tread left.

Summers. I got 5 years out of Pilot sports. With regular 18 year old driving, peeling out, donuts, so on so forth.

Ive had Kumho Ecsta's on my 92 Civic. For 5 years. 2 with changeover's for winter. 3 without. 80% tread still left.

The store I work for is Majority kumho sales. Ive seen one 712 returned but it was on a civic with no camber kit. Never seen a kumho warrenty slip. I worked for Green and Ross. I had a weekday devoted to warrenty slips, for goodyear,michelin, bfg,uniroyal,bridgestone,firestone,continental,pir elli,toyo,

Regardless of manufacturer. a 17 and a pot hole do not mix.

I work for a tire place, for fun, I have a fulltime job the last thing I need to do is work saturday, but I do becuase doing tires is kinda fun. But I have real world experiance, of beltshifts, Extreme Tire wear, and almost anything that can happen to a tire. And theres hardly any kumho's on our scrap pile.. IF that doesnt speak a thousand words I dont know what will. From the poorest of the poor to the richest of the rich come to my store. Ive seen tires that you would expect from a third world. Also Jay's got a very good idea, of tires, Ive talked with him, I know he does his research, if you ask for his advice take it. Its probably more than accurate.

BennyL
05-01-2006, 02:38 PM
so, which tires did ara325 go with in the end? the ones in the pic...

and where do you guys buy tires? i always just shop around Canadian Tire, Costco, Wal-Mart, Green+Ross, and Sam's Club.

i feel like i'm probably missing out on alot of cheaper places!

EuroSpectacle
05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
I work for a place in malvern. He does the shopping for you, So you dont have to shop. He has 100% all name brand, with the exception of tires, made by a name brand manufacturer under a different name. Were in the ghetto, but still I did 5 brand new benz's on saturday...

ara325
05-01-2006, 07:25 PM
so, which tires did ara325 go with in the end? the ones in the pic...

and where do you guys buy tires? i always just shop around Canadian Tire, Costco, Wal-Mart, Green+Ross, and Sam's Club.

i feel like i'm probably missing out on alot of cheaper places!

Yes, I went with the ones in the pic...Yoko AVS es100.

All dealers can get the same tires. Most of them quote you the list/book price. Where the prices generally vary is in the installation and balancing. i.e. Steve's tire charges like $12-20 for installation, balancing, and valve stems. Other places include this in the price of the tire, but typically won't charge as much as places like Steve's.

Also, if you're shopping at the places you mentioned, you won't find the quality tires that the specialists carry. Tires really are one of those things that 'you get what you pay for', if you spend more, you'll get a better, longer lasting, better gripping, quieter etc tire.

Use the internet, and/or Mystical, and you'll learn a lot about the differences in tires, then go with what your gut (and wallet) tells you.

WhadUpp
05-01-2006, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=EuroSpectacle]glad your happy... Which just says you dont know tires,

Im driving on winters from 8 years ago. and they are still brand new and have 90% tread left.

Right so youre the resident expert here, so let me get this straight, you still ride on rubber that's 8 years old regardless that its 90%. *shiner*

EuroSpectacle
05-02-2006, 10:02 AM
way to quote and butcher what I said.

KEY WORD BEING WINTERS, and Fyi, They are not Dry rotted or cracked, So that would be proper tire care would it not? 8 years and not one crack thats ****ing unblievable. If you treat them right, store them properly, and change them when they are supposed to be changed maybe you could get your super sick awesome tires to live forever.

No. Jay is the resident tire expert, and you both disregarded what he said. so lwhat does it matter what I say?

Yes, I went with the ones in the pic...Yoko AVS es100.

All dealers can get the same tires. Most of them quote you the list/book price. Where the prices generally vary is in the installation and balancing. i.e. Steve's tire charges like $12-20 for installation, balancing, and valve stems. Other places include this in the price of the tire, but typically won't charge as much as places like Steve's.

Also, if you're shopping at the places you mentioned, you won't find the quality tires that the specialists carry. Tires really are one of those things that 'you get what you pay for', if you spend more, you'll get a better, longer lasting, better gripping, quieter etc tire.

Use the internet, and/or Mystical, and you'll learn a lot about the differences in tires, then go with what your gut (and wallet) tells you.

Ok that was a complete contradiction. ALL DEALERS CAN GET THE SAME TIRES-------BUT IF YOU SHOP AT THE PLACES I MENTIONED, YOU WONT FIND THE QUALITY TIRES THE SPECIALISTS CARRY??????????

Intermission(Jay I understand)

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok even my little tire store in the Ghetto can get any tire ever made, and so can all the others but its more why have $50,000 stock in michelins if your customer base cant handle it. You can order a tire and have it there in an hour..

Its what you as the consumer see'sand even what you dont see... hmmm Yokes or (lets say Nexen. You previously said, Im going with the yokes, becuase ive had them before, or blah blah its a recognizable brand. (thats not 100% accurate but you said something similar)

All Dealers are the same. Only Difference Is price and Service.

also another fyi. My place includes new valvestem, rimclean(grind and lube) and balancing for the price of the tires.

ara325
05-02-2006, 12:16 PM
When I said dealers, I meant specialists.

You say all dealers are the same, the only difference is price and service...so what's left? the colour of the walls in the shop? Price and service is what differetiates dealers so NO, they're not all the same!

EuroSpectacle
05-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally I took over the ownership of those winter tires, at year 4. They were also cared for properly by the first owner (my uncle).

And what I meant was . All Dealers are the same regarding the tire makes and models they have in stock... Theres nothing saying a cheepo tire dealer cant have racks upon racks of pirelli, it just doesnt make economic sence but they can be ordered.

and to some people. The ill informed, the colour of the walls would have an impact. Where did you buy your tires again?

controlyar
05-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I have been riding General Exclaim UHP's for over 1k now and they seem good for the money.

I picked them up off Tire Rack since they had good reviews and were DIRT cheap. They are apparently made by Continental and made in Germany, but I will see how they hold up. So far so good and they have amazing treadlife ratings. Much better than the Pirelli Vizzola garbage I had on before.

My winter Dunlop M3 16" rubber cost more than double the 18" General's, to put things into perspective.

///M-TRD3
05-06-2006, 03:59 PM
^ How much were they on Tirerack?
Thanks

controlyar
05-08-2006, 10:22 PM
I believe they were $80-85 US shipped - some kind of promo. The size was 225/40/R18.

This way I was able to keep the tire cost les than one half the cost of my new rims. "Quality" tires would have cost more than $200 US each. Buying locally would have been pushing $300 CDN each.