PDA

View Full Version : Price Check & advise - '97 318i

E36is
04-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Need your opinions on a vehicle i saw advertised for sale:

1997 Bmw 318i 4dr (unmodded, dark blue ext) 116,000kms

Equipment:

5spd, blk leather,power windows & locks, sunroof, climate control, heated seats. its a private sale, and seller noted he only uses synthetics. It has new battery and new tires.

Asking price: 9500.00 cdn

Is price within reason?

Second question is for a deposit (security for vehicle). If i am interested in a vehicle and my next step is to bring it to a garage, I would want to give seller a deposit on the vehicle, how much of a deposit should i give lets say for the vehicle above? And what form of deposit payment should i give, cash? person al cheque? Basically i dont want the seller to run away with my money if the vehicle turns out to be a money pit after inspection.

thanks in advance

Oldschool

suicide
04-15-2006, 09:49 AM
hey budy
in my opinioin a 318 is a waste of money they are not really fun. i would be getting at least a 325. i know there is a guy qwk325 on this forum selling a modded 325 for arounf the same price.. i have see his ca and it is in top notch shape. you would be getting a modded 325 with about duble if not triple the power that a 318has plus its got a body kit and some suspension work and so on....

if is was me i would be going with a 325 for sure you can easily find out for around the price you r looking into getting a 318 for....

good luck if you have any other questions just ask

T.Dot_E30
04-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I believe he parted the mods out, and now the car is back to stock, but his car is definately in good shape, and i suggest you check it out.

Suprano
04-15-2006, 11:22 AM
I agree with these guys, QWK325 has a very nice 325 w/ orig. paint and leather that looks untouched. I just saw the car a week ago and it looks mint. wouldn't even bother with a 318; nearly everything I've read on them is denigrating. I bought my 95 325is w/ 137k off of a guy on this forum last year for less than what you're looking at paying. Hold out for a good deal on a forum.

As for depostits, I never leave more than $1000 unless the car is over 15k.

E36is
04-15-2006, 12:48 PM
thanks to all that have responded.

Re: Qwk325

Yea i have been in contact with him concerning his 325, because of the easter weekend its all messed up with making arrangements to see this car. On a side note (no offense to qwk325) but after reviewing the threads on his vehicle, as to date, the car is pretty much back to stock which means that the original FOR SALE of the vehicle with all the modds and pics shown in the forum is a misrepresentation of the vehicle today. All in all, without seeing the vehicle as of yet, this is now just an ordinary 325 selling for 9800.00 with as i understand just ground effects as the only mods intact. I could be wrong in what i have just said but i am somewhat dissappointed that the "frills" have been taken off of this vehicle. If the vehicle wasnt raped of all its goodies as originally advertised, i wouldnt see a problem with me dishing out his asking price because yes it would definitely be a steal. Im still serious in checking out his vehicle, but im also keeping my options open.

Oldschool

Miguel
04-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Check it out... most of the big item goodies are still on the car.
You will not find a better one and to be honest... i would not trust the mileage on the 318 at the dealership. Vito's low mileage E36 is 100% true and verified. The piece of mind alone is worth the advertised price.

Suprano
04-15-2006, 03:02 PM
it's got less k's than the 318 you're looking for and from what I understand the 318 is bereft of the "frills" of which you speak. Anyways, the goodies can be bought as time goes, but you need a solid car, not a piece of junk with a body kit. Vito's car is sick.....go and see it and then post........you'll be impressed.

M3ti Compact
04-15-2006, 05:02 PM
318's are fine as long as you get the 5 speed. To be honest, the 325 is not a kick in your pants difference. Just switch the A/C on in a 325 and you will have the same experience as driving the 318.

Not to mention the better weight distribution, cheaper maintenance/oil changes and better fuel economy.

suicide
04-15-2006, 05:24 PM
i live next door too qwk325 and the engine is still highly modded and it still has a body kit and lowering spring and shocks and some there stuff.... it is an amazing deal i would by it in a second but i dont need a car

Suprano
04-15-2006, 07:06 PM
318's are fine as long as you get the 5 speed. To be honest, the 325 is not a kick in your pants difference. Just switch the A/C on in a 325 and you will have the same experience as driving the 318.

Not to mention the better weight distribution, cheaper maintenance/oil changes and better fuel economy.

spoken like a true 318 owner.:D