PDA

View Full Version : Help - Style #32 finish question

KRS
04-11-2006, 06:25 PM
I have a question for the experts on this board (I'm finally out of lurk mode).

I have a '99 540i that has 18" style #32 rims. I need to replace two of these rims as the previous owner bent them slightly and they cause a bit of vibration.

My problem is this: the rims have a chrome type finish that when nice and clean is mirrorlike and reflective. I am having a heck of a time locating these rims with this sort of finish as I am not sure if it is factory or not, and if so, what is the finish called.

A BMW dealer told me that the only finish they offered for style #32 was "Brilliantline" and that he didn't think it was as shiny as chrome. I have seen them listed online as "Silver," "Hypersilver," and "Brilliant." As far as I can tell, none of these are a chrome finish.

Does anyone here know if I will be able to find replacements for my wheels, or did the previous owner actually get them chrome dipped or sprayed?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/ProfessorKRS/760307_4.jpg

BMWCERT
04-12-2006, 12:19 AM
The rims don't come shinny chrome from the dealer. So they has either been sprayed or they are an aftermarket wheel.

Mystikal
04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Those are definitely chromed aftermarket.

Justin e36
04-12-2006, 06:20 PM
on the bright side, if they're just bent a little bit you can always get them straightened instead of having to buy new rims.