PDA

View Full Version : Blown Seals

just325iS
04-11-2006, 04:22 PM
I have been having issues with blowing my seals on my V2S. At first I thought it was due to my track driving but now I've found out my problem. I thought this might help others in the future.

My seals went because my crankcase valve wasn't working so it wasn't releasing the pressure in the intake. This pressure is what caused my seals to blow. So you might want to consider changing this part for peace of mind.

sloveniaboy
04-12-2006, 01:16 PM
what seals blew?

just325iS
04-12-2006, 03:04 PM
the one before the impellers

sloveniaboy
04-12-2006, 03:10 PM
sorry, didn't realize you were talkin bout the charger unit itself, I thought you were reffering to seals blowing on the motor

SickFinga
04-13-2006, 07:52 AM
so your theory that Vortech blowers had poor reliability was wrong?
That's good news to hear.

Axxe
04-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Hold on, you have the blower pressurising your crankcase? Get that fixed ASAP or you'll be buying a new motor.

just325iS
04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
yeah, because I was getting really fustrated with the power loss. I hope it will run good for me this time around. Really miss going to the race track. Haven't been to the track since I replace all my bushings with aluminum ones. I know that it made a huge difference but haven't really gotten a chance to test them out in the heat of battle.

just325iS
04-13-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah, I'm on that right now Axxe. It wouldn't matter anyways, I've got so fustrated trying to figure out the problem that I went and bought myself a Ducati 999. The bimmer could sit around all summer and I wouldn't care anymore. It will be finish soon though. Got to run all stainless steel fuel lines with high flow filter, put in the cams, install the alcohol injection, get Mark D to burn me a new chip, get the fenders cut to fit 265/30/19's at the rears and get the car corner balanced. Oh, the rear big brakes are just in, so will have to pick that up and install that too. I think that's it for now.

Axxe
04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Alright, just wanted to make sure you knew the gravity of the situation. JazzM blew his supercharged 2.8 motor like that.

just325iS
04-13-2006, 10:57 PM
shit, didn't know that's what happened to Tom's motor

Furious
04-13-2006, 11:21 PM
guys is there a way to know/check that you could be boosting your crankcase?

Axxe
04-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Well, you can look for the crank case ventillation tube, and check if it's still connected to the intake manifold. Or you can open your oil cap, and rev the motor up, if you have air coming OUT at a high speed/pressure, it's likely you have a pressurised crank. If it's not boosted, when you rev it up with the open cap, nothing funny should happen.

Furious
04-14-2006, 11:05 AM
thank you i will give it a look see

SickFinga
04-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Btw, that what blew Randy's engine too.

Mark, if I were you I would go or call RMP and verify if they did it.
It is described in the AA Manual.
In fact I'm going to RMP as soon as I take my car out just to check if I'm boosting my crankcase.

Axxe
04-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah Vlad, you should since you're complaining of low power, which could be due to piston rings that are messed up. You should test the compression on your motor ASAP to make sure the problem isn't in the motor.

JMW
04-14-2006, 07:55 PM
tommy when ure car gunna be fixed?? i want a ride in that e36...paul keeps tellin me how fast it is
-neil

Furious
04-14-2006, 09:38 PM
i dont think im boosting my crank but its alwasy good to know how to check just in case

just325iS
04-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Neil, it's not how fast it is in a straight line that's going to impress you, it's how fast I'm going to take the corners that's going to scare you but what'll really impress you is how fast I can slow down. To tell you the truth, power you can get use too very quickly but comming into a corner at insane speed is what you'll never get sick off. Plus, if you want speed, just get on the back of my bike!

djcontra
05-07-2006, 11:50 AM
I still cant be 100% certain this is the right thing to do, but I just let my crankcase ventilate into the atmosphere. I get a little bit of oil smoke out the end of the tube, but when I had it hooked up to the boosted side of the intake I got crazy hesitation after a moderate period of driving (crankcase boosting I'm assuming), and when attached to the intake before the charger, it ended up just spewing oil fumes all over my MAF sensor or filter, so I said forget that and disconnected it entirely. My car hasn't experienced any problems since....but I still dunno if it's right :(