PDA

View Full Version : A little experiment between Class-Cars..

euro_imports_21
01-23-2002, 11:01 PM
Some stuff I learned while driving back and forth from Kent to West Seattle this past month...

Integras, RX7s, Civics, Shit like that are targeted by young people who don't know much about cars but still want to race. These "rice heads" want speed for cheap. It's pretty much all they can spend..

Audi, BMW, VW(some), and all that stuff are for more older groups. It's true u can see a young rich boy racing a BMW beating everyone, but u can also see an old man in retirement riding around in the same car. These cars, I've noticed, are with more highclass people..

I think it all depends on class. If you live in WA and you've been to White Center (shoutz to mah hood) or Beacon Hill, you hardly see the M3s or M5s. You see the Civics, Integras, and yes the Neons...

I've been to Factoria, Kent, and (OMG) Bellevue... and guess what, I saw the M3s, M5s, and Z3s all the fast cars.

What I gathered and where I live.. all I can say is that "riceheads", through no fault of their own, get the cars they can afford (Hondas, Acuras, Cheap VWs). And many kids at my school and around other schools in the Suburbs get the more expensive stuff.

Although... some of these rice-boys could work a little hard to get a better car instead of waiting to win the lotto or something...

So my conclusion... More income class-better cars
Less income class-not so fast "rice"

Gamite
01-23-2002, 11:29 PM
Dont underestimate those jap cars, some can be very with the right modifications!

European cars can be generally more expensive, so its easier for the younger crowd to afford japs, and the rest just follow the trend.

330DTM
01-23-2002, 11:37 PM
Gamite is right, indeed.

It's more of a personal opinion actaully. But definitely one cannot say that Jap imports are for the lower class, fast car wanna be's or however you want it.

It's off-topic, but Integra's aren't crappy. I've a modded integra type R at Shanonnville and it was lapping the Bimmer's much, and i mean much faster! And definitely this guy knew his car pretty well!

azn330i
01-23-2002, 11:42 PM
agreed......some of these guys just like the japenese stuff.......i know some rich guy who would prefer a civic or a prelude because he likes thier styling.

about the RX7, that is not at all a low class car......it can be compared witht the M3, 911 Carrera and others

euro_imports_21
01-24-2002, 02:10 AM
Hey sorry guys don't get me wrong.. not trying to down the cars.:P Just sayin that's what most people consider, ricey or rice-like.

Gamite
01-24-2002, 02:54 AM
Yeah thats true, jap imports are the majority of the cars that succum to rice.

330DTM
01-24-2002, 09:46 AM
yea..i guess you guys have a point there.

Then again, I've seen some riced out Bimmers, Audi's,and Mercedes. And man, SOOO UGLY is all i can say!

rayz
05-03-2002, 12:52 AM
come out to the meets on sundays, were actually gonna be in portland this weekend for the team impulse show.. not everyone is going, some are going to Pacific Raceways, not sure about sunday brunch tho

SickFinga
05-03-2002, 03:09 AM
hmmm integra type r and rx7 look sick to me.
also if you wanna get speed for cheap you get mustang or firebird/camaro.
civic is a great car, it's economical reliable, cheap, but don't try to make it look fast.
Also I got BMW M3, I I earned each cent to buy it on my own at the age of 18. I'm not rich, my parents are not rich, I really just got lucky.

and ofcause more income more expensive cars. and more expansove cars already look nice and most of them are fast.

Softy
05-03-2002, 12:22 PM
Integras, RX7s, Civics, Shit like that are targeted by young people who don't know much about cars but still want to race. These "rice heads" want speed for cheap. It's pretty much all they can spend..

What I gathered and where I live.. all I can say is that "riceheads", through no fault of their own, get the cars they can afford (Hondas, Acuras, Cheap VWs). And many kids at my school and around other schools in the Suburbs get the more expensive stuff.

Although... some of these rice-boys could work a little hard to get a better car instead of waiting to win the lotto or something...

So my conclusion... More income class-better cars
Less income class-not so fast "rice"

Well, I don't think more money = higher class = better/faster car. If that's the logic I think you should examine what really is "Shit like that are targeted by young people who don't know much about cars but still want to race". I don't mean to start a flame war but you comments are very generalized.

Okay, I'm 23 and I like to consider myself young enough to still fall into the "kids" or at least young adolescent bucket. I work my a** off each day and can get almost any car I want, and I think I know a little about cars also. FYI I own a '95 civic, '91 mr2 turbo, '96 328 convertible.

If I want to race one, I would choose the mr2 hands down. I dumped enough money into it to outrun an M5 on the highway (been there, done that) and it all cost me less than my 328. I'm currently spending more money to bring the power DOWN now and get a proper set-up for the track.

Did I upgrade the Mr2 because it was cheaper? No, it's hard to find parts and they're probably more expensive than BMW parts. Why then? I have driven and raced M3's (e36) and I feel my mr2 just speaks to me better and I enjoy the light nimble nature of the car. I'm also a smaller guy so the mr2 wraps around me better and I love the sound of the turbo spooling behind my back.

The tourque of the M3's is beautiful but the weight contributes to a different driving feel and style. To each his own. I wouldn't claim my mr2 is a better car, just more suited to my liking and driving habits. I would hate to think of myself as a cheap rice-boy just because I race my toyota rather than a bmw.

Don't get me wrong, I love my bmw, but in a different way. More solid construction and much more comfortable drive. Smoother ride, bigger engine, and more gas. I think it's a great touring car and I've brought it with me to Mr2 group meets when the mr2 was in the shop.

After seeing many "rice-boys" dump over $30-40K+ modding their cars I don't think it's always an issue of what they can or cannot afford. So I think your statement about how riceboys should work harder rather than simply waiting to win the lottery is very out of place. Your making a rash judgement about a person due to your perception of their material effects.

Hey, at times I go out looking for gawdy looking lights and accessories for my civic too, but that doesn't mean I don't get dressed up in a suit each day, travel the world, and work for it. I even appreciate the old domestic classics like my friends 86 Grand National which he never drives, just polishes and puts in shows. Car enthousiasts come in all different types. Stop hating the ricers and just accept it's a different life style choice.

Sorry for the long rant but personally I think bmw boards should be to talk about bmws and not to put down other cars, and vice versa.

M-ATTACK
05-05-2002, 06:43 PM
not every young adult who drives a custom bmw beggs his rich parents for cash. I drive my beautiful highly modified bmw m coupe, done up from bumper to bumper. I appreciate my car, because i sweat 12 hours a day for it. oh yeah i am 19.

SickFinga
05-05-2002, 08:24 PM
How do u define "RICE" ?

me:
rice - a car, doesn't have to be a japanese,(yes it can be a bimmer) with stupid/useless/ugly mods, like
- huge spoilers
- huge body kits on 14" rims
- blue lights on the windows washers
- tons of stickers
- noisy, coffee can exhausts
- cheap/spraycan painted moldings/wipers/side view mirrors in different color like red car with yellow moldings

Softy
05-05-2002, 10:02 PM
So is the car below considered rice?

- huge spoilers ... yup
- huge body kits on 14" rims ... looks like 16" rims but otherwise yup.
- blue lights on the windows washers ... dunno.
- tons of stickers ... yup yup and yup.
- noisy, coffee can exhausts ... probably pretty loud.
- cheap/spraycan painted moldings/wipers/side view mirrors in different color like red car with yellow moldings .. different coloured mirrors yup.

Summary: Rice?!?!

To me that's just one very nice show car. Personally I think rice should be restricted to when people sacrifice performance for looks (ie, cut springs to lower car), or front like they have something they don't (ie, stickers for products they don't own), or when they are otherwise just plain stupid (ie, type R sticker on a mazda).

Bad taste is just bad taste and varies from person to person.

SickFinga
05-05-2002, 10:24 PM
I would say YES if some drove it on the street.
Wasup with all those stickers?

but since it's just for shows/advertising NO it's not rice.

PCDawg
05-06-2002, 12:24 PM
Stickers are for sponsors.......the companies that are willing to sponsor u give u free parts or cheaper prices and in return u advertise their products ...