PDA

View Full Version : How to know the tire size by rim?

fletch
04-03-2006, 03:50 AM
I'm looking for a used BMW OEM 17" rim for my E36, i don't know maybe 17*7.5 17*8 but how can i know what tire size i should get for every specific wheel? is there a formula to calculate the maximum width or profile i can go? please anyone*wave*

and what's maximum width i can go for my E36?

E36 Power
04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
It also depends on the actual offset of the wheel as well...If you have the proper offset then you can go a bit wider assuming your not slammed to the ground then maybe a few rubbing issues...I just picked up 235 40 17 and thats the size that is marked inside the driver side door as a replacemet size...if u go with a narrow tire on a wide rim u get that stretching that occurs ( dont knwo how to explai it better) but u get the idea basically.

fletch
04-03-2006, 01:55 PM
so i guess a 17*7.5 or 17*8(let's say offset is 41mm or 47mm) with a 235/40/17 tire should be fine with E36?

It also depends on the actual offset of the wheel as well...If you have the proper offset then you can go a bit wider assuming your not slammed to the ground then maybe a few rubbing issues...I just picked up 235 40 17 and thats the size that is marked inside the driver side door as a replacemet size...if u go with a narrow tire on a wide rim u get that stretching that occurs ( dont knwo how to explai it better) but u get the idea basically.