PDA

View Full Version : City Fido Toronto

Desisuperman
03-07-2006, 03:42 PM
City Fido Plan for Toronto, unlimited $45 a month.

Asking $350 to take over contract. Feel free to shoot me offers, this wont last.

greekthang
03-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry to kill your post but your right it wont last. Fido is going out of business very soon. Dad went to go to a upgrade and they said not to bother they will be going under soon. I think Rogers took it over so if you dont want to switch to Rogers they said tuff sh*t you will have no service provider. Fido went under because of the Unlimited minutes daytime and evening just a heads up.

notjoe
03-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Sorry to kill your post but your right it wont last. Fido is going out of business very soon. Dad went to go to a upgrade and they said not to bother they will be going under soon. I think Rogers took it over so if you dont want to switch to Rogers they said tuff sh*t you will have no service provider. Fido went under because of the Unlimited minutes daytime and evening just a heads up.

It would be impossible for fido to go bankrupt because of the unlimited minutes. If you look at what they did do it was quite smart! Here is what i think happened.

Fido knew rogers was interested in taking over their customer base.

Fido offered unlimited days to boost their customer base by huge numbers prior to the sale. They gained quite a few thousand new subscribers i suspect if not 10s of thousands of new subscribers.

Fido went back to rogers and said "We now have 50 thousand paying customers and not 30", so if you want to buy this company you better pony up.

Rogers buys fido.

You have to understand the cellular business. It isnt like cellular companies pay out $x.xxx per minute used on their network unless its long distance and even then they have peering agreements.

I couldnt see rogers spending large on advertising the joining of the two companies just to shut it down without merging the customer base which they havent done, as of yet.

notjoe
03-09-2006, 12:12 AM
PS: I should mention that i did renew my fido city contract last week and i ended up getting a black razor v3 phone for $119 (after the contract+fido dollars) which was pretty ****ing sweet.

If they were to fold i doubt they would still be giving out expensive phones for next to nothing to make people sign a contract that is going to be worthless very soon ;)

Swerve
03-09-2006, 12:46 AM
I've been with the $40 City Fido plan out here in Vancouver since it was first offered, and have been very happy with it.

Rogers did take over Fido over a year ago, and has kept the Fido brand, even though it says Rogers on my phone and even the bill is now in a Rogers layout.

more info: http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/medias/about.shtml

greekthang
03-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Just telling you what hey told my dad thats all. Why would they say that then.

Jackal
03-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Rogers bought Fido for its customer base and not to keep the brand as a loss leader. Otherwise, Rogers, Bell and Telus would be offering the same plans. Rogers will migrate Fido users to other plans and entice them by offering hardware, free minutes or features.

Fido knew what it was doing by loading up on subscribers so Rogers would pay more for the company. Eventually bone head moves by companies doing what Fido did will result in bankruptcy. Look at JetsGO.

That plan will be worthless.

omid
03-11-2006, 12:26 AM
i have the city fido and very happy with it. i got a mail a couple of months ago stating that i can keep the same plan for 3 more years if i wish to renew. so its still good for 3 years.
GREAT PLAN

Desisuperman
03-11-2006, 04:42 PM
To me this is all hearsay. I have heard nothign about Fido going out of business. Rogers will keep fido as a sister company because that's just good marketing.

People have been renewing these plans successfully. These plans are geared for high end users and even if Fido did "go out of business" in the near future they would get their money's worth. If you paying hundreds a month on your cell phone bill this plan is definitely for you.

BUMP

Deep 3.2TL
03-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Fido isn't going out of business anytime soon. It's ROGERS! If Rogers wanted to by it and close it, then they would have done that already. Rogers is keeping Fido as the "value" brand and nickle and diming those customers. IE if you sign up with Fido now, to use Rogers network, you have to pay. If you sign up with Rogers, you have access to Fido's network, no charge.

Oh and my knowledge on this comes from working for Fido for 5 years and still having friends at the company.

Deep

Jackal
03-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Just wanted to make a correction. This plan can be renewed for another 3 years. If at anytime, Rogers wants to convert Fido customers, they will probably have to offer something very similar. Whoever buys it should lock in to another 3 yr term.

Bump for a good plan.

Desisuperman
03-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the input and bumps!

Desisuperman
03-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Some aadditional info about this plan from Fido

http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/cityfidobefmarch.shtml#two

oobey
03-15-2006, 02:31 PM
hey Desisuperman dont swet it fido is gonna be around longer then rogers...acually fido is moving up every day...iv been with city fido for a long time since they had a plan...and i just signed another contract for three years...ppl r dying for this plan... just repost it

Deep 3.2TL
03-15-2006, 08:04 PM
You do realise that Roger's bought Fido a while back right? If Roger's goes under, so does Fido...

Deep

Desisuperman
03-17-2006, 02:04 AM
nah, it's kewl. anyone who who has basic knowledge on what's going in the business world knows that fido will be aroudn for a very long time. Like Deep323 said Rogers will continue using this as the "value brand" for it's line of products. it provides an alternative for people who dont want to use Rogers without losing them to Bell and Telus. it simply lets them keep a bigger share of the market.

By the way, does anybody know if Fido is making full use of Rogers networks, or are they still using Fido's old network?

Deep 3.2TL
03-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Last I heard (before I cancelled my Fido and went to Rogers, for the use of the full network) they were charging customers $5 per month to use the full rogers network... some folks were getting it for free though...

BMW325BMW
03-19-2006, 03:50 AM
If you are on city fido plan, you are only getting fido towers. Regular fido plans, you are getting use of the full network

Desisuperman
03-19-2006, 06:59 PM
:cool: