PDA

View Full Version : Valve covers Question

myndgone
02-08-2006, 11:39 PM
How much does it cost to replace valve covers & head gaskets on a 540, inlcuding labour???

ZiMMie
02-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Considering its a e39 540i 22.1 Hours on the Headgaskets. and 3.6 on the valve cover. that alot of labour my freind.

O.S.
02-09-2006, 01:06 PM
no kidding?!?!

Quack
02-09-2006, 01:38 PM
I did the valve cover gaskets myself, it's kinda a bitch to do, very tight near the firewall, it took me about 2 hours, I might rather pay someone to do it next time because I'm that lazy

TheMadChigga
02-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Considering its a e39 540i 22.1 Hours on the Headgaskets. and 3.6 on the valve cover. that alot of labour my freind.

I think the book overestimate a lot of the jobs, but head gasket will be a bitch, valve cover shouldn't be bad, everything is pretty accessable, try to do one on a VR6, that was a stupid design.

cisco911
02-09-2006, 04:41 PM

If you do the head gaskets, the labour of the valve covers is already included since you have to take the valve covers off to remove the heads. 22 hours is alot of labout, but its alot of work to do those heads. I'm sure it can be done faster, but no mechanic is gonna say "well I spent 10 hours on it so pay me for 10 hours" If you go to a good place, they will cut you a break on the total price of the job. Regardless, your looking at alot of $$$$$ Are your head gaskets gone on your car?

PS: That is not a job you can do at home!!!

myndgone
02-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Are your head gaskets gone on your car?

no..only valve covers leaking, as usual...but just wondering about the other one....

RMPMOTORS
02-09-2006, 11:19 PM

I have done a complete short block replacement on a M62 in less than 22 hours.

We charge approx $80 labour to replace the valve cover gaskets.

Rocco

Fern
02-22-2006, 08:14 PM
I have done a complete short block replacement on a M62 in less than 22 hours.

We charge approx $80 labour to replace the valve cover gaskets.

Rocco

WOW!

Hey Rocco,

you sure got everyone's attention... There so speachless they can't even comment after your post.

On the e39 V8 $80 seams kinda low, even for the labour only.

Whats the catch!?
Are the gaskets like $300 material cost or what?

My headgaskets have a minor leak also and does your price include replacement of the grommets on both valve covers or are they usually re-useable.

Guess I'm going to have to take a drive up to where RPMMotors is located this spring.

RMPMOTORS
02-23-2006, 12:26 AM
No catch, I have done many and I am more then fair with all my prices.

The parts will be at a good price also. I reccomend replacing the rubbers around the bolts also, no extra labour there.

Rocco

propr'one
02-23-2006, 03:41 AM
will vouch for rocco's insane prices. i think his mom might've dropped him on his head, cause he doesn't know how to overcharge for work on bmw's*th-up*

325isRED
02-23-2006, 04:55 AM
are headgasket/valve cover casket a problem on facelift e39's??

edit: i ask because i'm in the market for one in a couple months!

RMPMOTORS
02-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Valve cover gaskets are pretty common but headgaskets are rare.

Fern
02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
WOW!

Hey Rocco,

you sure got everyone's attention... There so speachless they can't even comment after your post.

On the e39 V8 $80 seams kinda low, even for the labour only.

Whats the catch!?
Are the gaskets like $300 material cost or what?

My headgaskets have a minor leak also and does your price include replacement of the grommets on both valve covers or are they usually re-useable.

Guess I'm going to have to take a drive up to where RPMMotors is located this spring.

Correction here folks,

My valve cover gaskets are leaking, not headgaskets...

Now that I got my facts straight

Rocco,

what are your thoughts on CDV modification and cost?

Thanks,

Fern

O.S.
02-28-2006, 05:04 PM
if you are out of warranty you can just take the CDV out, no need to modify it

free CDV modification service by email:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm ;)

RMPMOTORS
02-28-2006, 06:14 PM
To remove the cdv and rebleed the clutch system, I charge $35 incl fluid.

Its a nice cheap, improvement in clutch feel.

Even if you have warrenty you can take it out, they will never know, 1/2 the guys there don't even know that the restictor is even there (CDV). Its a restrictor not a valve. So we should call it the Clutch Line Restrictor or the CLR... *smoke*

Rocco

Paul540/m3
02-28-2006, 07:24 PM
I have the modified CDV (same as removing) and I don't know how I ever lived without it. Definitely worth doing Fern.

Fern
03-03-2006, 11:41 PM
To remove the cdv and rebleed the clutch system, I charge $35 incl fluid.

Its a nice cheap, improvement in clutch feel.

Even if you have warrenty you can take it out, they will never know, 1/2 the guys there don't even know that the restictor is even there (CDV). Its a restrictor not a valve. So we should call it the Clutch Line Restrictor or the CLR... *smoke*

Rocco

Hey Rocco,
I had the brakes bleed with Motul 600 and only a couple of days after did I realize the clutch wasn't bleed and I believe it uses the same reservoir.

When you remove the restrictor CDV do you re-thread the existing line and if so, ever any concerns with stripping the threads?

Also, my power steering hose appears to have a slow leak, how much to repair/replace.

Your prices and aparent knowledge of the cars is making me reconsider my current mechanic.

Whats the saying..." its worth the drive to Bolton".

Cheers,

Fernando

RMPMOTORS
03-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I have never stripped a thread, Its more than "Worth the drive to Bolton"

You will be getting BMW expert service at excellent prices!

Please call me for a exact quote and Pricing.

Rocco