PDA

View Full Version : Radio of choice?

SpudBoy
10-20-2002, 01:35 PM
I was wondering if there is a consensus as to which two way radio is the best for group cruising? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
regards... I mean over and out,

Gamite
10-20-2002, 02:08 PM
Well, I used a motorola two way, if you happen to be going down to the states, I suggest you pick one up from there, its like half the price.

Make sure it has subchannels, although we dont use them on our cruises, they're the more advanced radios.

thinair
10-20-2002, 02:43 PM
I also have a Motorola, sub channels are a definite must have, but having a rechargable battery is also nice. If you get one that doesn't have the rechargable battery, make sure it at least uses AA batteries, the ones that use AAA batteries drain them really fast, and AAA cost a lot more then the AA's.

Also, some of the motorola's with AA allow you to convert them to recharable battery packs later on, and vise versa (rechargable to AA, for emergencies)

Bill Gates
10-20-2002, 02:54 PM
You'd definitely want subchannels. especially when more people are getting into FRS.

FRS radios generally use 14 designated channels. the higher models offer an additional 38 codes. the 38 interference eliminator codes helps you easily find a clear signal.

FRS radios range is pretty much standard, 3.2km.

i would suggest you stick with the Motorola's because they tend to be of better quality.

the T5420 is good model. the T6310 will give you hands free capability and other options.

batteries will be another option. some use stricktly alkaline's, and the higher models like the T6300 can use both alkalines and Nimh, and also they have cigarette lighter option, but they are more expensive. 3 battery alkaline models will give you like 12 hrs of operation based on 5% send/receive. but nimh only gives you 9hrs (but rechargeable), which is more than enough for cruises.

if size is an issue, than look at the T6200 series. but again, the T5420 is good enough because its the model series that include the additional 38 eliminator codes.

thinair
10-20-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Bill Gates
FRS radios generally use 14 designated channels. the higher models offer an additional 38 codes. the 38 interference eliminator codes helps you easily find a clear signal.

Just to make this clearer, it's 38 eliminator codes per channel. So you have 546 frequencies (14x39, 0-38 subchannels) to use, instead of just the standard 14.

Slowered318
10-20-2002, 05:22 PM
It's about time we started using these! ..i've been using my motorola a lot for double car trips but I can't seem to get the 3.2 km range everyone says they have.

either way they are inexpensive (2 T5420's with battery packs and a double charger for $100) and much more versitile then CB radio's

SpudBoy
10-20-2002, 05:37 PM
I just picked up a Motorola 5420. get this... it was black with a red face-plate, will match the interior too*smoke*
thanks again,