PDA

View Full Version : FS: Salvage E34 M5 only $6500!!!

Eurostyle
01-16-2006, 07:18 PM
I will be selling this next week, most likely, unless i fix it an keep it for the summer! Its a 1993 M5 with 280K, blue on grey leather, has front end damage, but engine and suspention are intact. Comes with SALVAGE title, easy fix*th-up* Or it will make a nice donor car for an E30 project!:idea:

JohnnyBlaze
01-16-2006, 07:34 PM
is it manual or auto tranmission?
and what does it need?? front bumper,grill,headlights right fender,hood, anything else??

Ant118
01-16-2006, 09:53 PM
is the motor fine phil

Soldo
01-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Any frame damage?

craz azn
01-16-2006, 10:37 PM
CALLING OUT PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PAUL???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:idea: :idea: :D :D :D :D :D :D

SickFinga
01-16-2006, 10:44 PM
and what does it need?? front bumper,grill,headlights right fender,hood, anything else??

its M5. So, its manual

Soldo
01-16-2006, 10:46 PM
The main thing that scares me is this motor has 280 on it!

craz azn
01-16-2006, 10:58 PM
^^ thats not too bad for an M six cylinder engine, those things are tanks... well when they are taken care of at least...

Eurostyle
01-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Any frame damage?

Well, the rad support is part of the unibody, and that has damage on it, but major parts such as strut towers, frame rails etc are ok...

Eurostyle
01-16-2006, 11:35 PM

Yes, its manula! lol

Auxylary fan, rad (maybe), rad support. Best thing is to get a full front clip from a junk yard, that way you have ALL the parts needed...

Eurostyle
01-16-2006, 11:39 PM
CALLING OUT PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PAUL???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:idea: :idea: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Forget Paul, he has enaugh of a project as it is! BUT this will be sweet in Julian's car!!!*mw*

Eurostyle
01-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Did i mention this would make an excellent track car! Hint hint BigD!!! lol:D

Axxe
01-17-2006, 01:50 AM
If those damn motors were easier and cheaper to swap I'd do it. As it stands, can't afford all the "small" things that go with a rare swap like that. Hope you sell it Fil.

Eurostyle
01-17-2006, 02:06 AM
If those damn motors were easier and cheaper to swap I'd do it. As it stands, can't afford all the "small" things that go with a rare swap like that. Hope you sell it Fil.

It is an E34, so oil pan should not be an issue...other then that you got engine mounts and rad relocation due to clerance issues...same for brake booster i think. Not all that much when you consider the 300+hp you are getting! And that = a LOT of fun! :D

windsor318is
01-17-2006, 02:17 AM
waaaaaaaaaaaay to high mileage, and a rebuild for that beast would be a million dollars!

tominizer
01-17-2006, 08:19 AM
I'd say needs total overhaulin at that mileage............ which would be smart to do anyways if you have it out for a swap. So $6500 for the wreck and then what, easily another $7K+ to rebuilt it........... part out the rest of the car for maybe $2K to $3K........... so you're into something like $10K for a motor swap plus add on all the little bits and pieces that always fuk up swaps like this. Which is as ugly as upgrading as S14 from a 2.3 to a 2.5 ($10K range) but a hell of a lot more giddy-up at the end of the day.

Justin e36
01-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Will this vehicle start / drive still?
What is the compression like?

Eurostyle
01-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I'd say needs total overhaulin at that mileage............ which would be smart to do anyways if you have it out for a swap. So $6500 for the wreck and then what, easily another $7K+ to rebuilt it........... part out the rest of the car for maybe $2K to $3K........... so you're into something like $10K for a motor swap plus add on all the little bits and pieces that always fuk up swaps like this. Which is as ugly as upgrading as S14 from a 2.3 to a 2.5 ($10K range) but a hell of a lot more giddy-up at the end of the day.

Maybe, but it is a rare find...If it wasnt for the accident, and had low KM it would go for $20K...Complete cars with more milage still go for $13K...So for someone who knows what to do, they can get the engine redone, and body fully restored and still not be near the $20K cost...

Eurostyle
01-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Will this vehicle start / drive still?
What is the compression like?

I will be getting that soon...

Justin e36
01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks. I'm asking on behalf of another maX member.

notjoe
01-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Maybe, but it is a rare find...If it wasnt for the accident, and had low KM it would go for $20K...Complete cars with more milage still go for $13K...So for someone who knows what to do, they can get the engine redone, and body fully restored and still not be near the $20K cost...

Correct me if i'm wrong.

$6500 - Car
$7000 - Engine Rebuild
$5000 - Damage, if not more
--------
$18500

So, for an extra $1500 you can have an un-branded title.

Please let me know if my estimates are off? It's an tempting offer and i've been toying with the possiblity of turning this into a project car.

Eurostyle
01-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong.

$6500 - Car
$7000 - Engine Rebuild
$5000 - Damage, if not more
--------
$18500

So, for an extra $1500 you can have an un-branded title.

Please let me know if my estimates are off? It's an tempting offer and i've been toying with the possiblity of turning this into a project car.

That might be so, but for $1500 more you get a car with maybe 150K compared to a 0km brand new motor. You also get a 13 year old body/paint, compared to a brand new paint job...So depending on who/where you get things done, you might end up with a better car...

As to the title, when you get a car with "clear" title it DOES NOT in any way mean the car was not in the same, if not worst accident! The branding system is very screwed here...*thmbsdwn*

///MsAniTy
01-17-2006, 03:54 PM
I doubt its only 7k for a rebuild of the engine. Didnt BigD spend like 13k on a rebuild

BMW_7
01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
BigD went with a performance crankshaft and pistons, I don't know the prices of M5 motor parts but I'm willing to bet its cheaper than that.

punnzzells
01-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Fil,

if I only had the 633csi still.... that would be a nice swap!

motofaith
01-17-2006, 06:31 PM
last week there was a 1991 M5 same coulour with 250,000 km and in ran mint asking price was 8500. now there is one for 10,000.
http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=688&Region=-1&subcategory=&CAT=1

Eurostyle i donno how da hell you would get 17500 for that car even if only had 100,000 kms on it. Not to mention you can import one from the states for less than 8000.
I think you guys think this car is a lot more expensive than it actually is

lvan
01-17-2006, 08:22 PM
If i was to fix that car , I would rather jump on a plane to Germany and get 1992 M5. They sell them for 2000-4000Euros depending on the shape. It is less hassle to go that way and I think you may have some fun time in Germany and save around $10 000cad.

To add you get rust free car lowmilage and Clean title. There is a memeber on max that bought his black M5 like that .He's from BC.

tominizer
01-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Its a tough decision. That motor is a nice unit but to rebuild it right and fix all this and that........ all the small unseen things........... this ain't no little project to bring this car back to the living. I'd consider buying the motor/tranny/ECU off you but as for the rest of it...............

I have a 1983 Alfa Spider that this motor would look sweet in :D

Eurostyle
01-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Bottom line is, you get what you pay for, and this is the M5 you get for $6500...Not 8000, or 10, or 17K. To the RIGHT person it will be a nice project, if nobody wants it then i part it out. Simple as that.

Justin e36
01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Why is everyone assuming this car NEEDS a full engine rebuild?
Assuming the front end is the same as any other e34, minus the m5 front bumper, you're looking at around $3500 for the parts, paint, and labour to weld on a new front clip / rad support.

Not sure where you guys are getting your estimates from.. BMW?!

NickP
01-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Assuming the front end is the same as any other e34, minus the m5 front bumper, you're looking at around $3500 for the parts, paint, and labour to weld on a new front clip / rad support.

Agreed; and there's no way the rebuild will run you 7000 unless you go nuts with performance upgrades.

Fil's said it best; to the right person this could be a deal.

Axxe
01-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Fil, I know it would be fun. But I don't need to worry about power right now to be faster on the track, I want to be fast with a slow car, so that when I finally get a nice shell with decent power I will be that much farther ahead.

Manimillion
01-18-2006, 12:04 AM
If i was to fix that car , I would rather jump on a plane to Germany and get 1992 M5. They sell them for 2000-4000Euros depending on the shape. It is less hassle to go that way and I think you may have some fun time in Germany and save around $10 000cad.

To add you get rust free car lowmilage and Clean title. There is a memeber on max that bought his black M5 like that .He's from BC.

2000-4000 euros gets you an M5 with 200k - 300k+ kilometers.... Add freight, customs fee, plane ticket and accomidations while you are in Germany, you are not saving much money. You will just end up with a bigger selection of cars then you have in Canada. Mind you, this will take alot longer for a car as cheap as taht.

Eurostyle
01-18-2006, 02:47 AM

THANK YOU!!! glad to see someone understands! Talking about BMW estimates, i cant stop laughing at the insurance estimate with original pts...I have the full list of parts here, but these are the funny things:

Front bumper; 12 items, total of $2703
Headlights; 16 items, total of $1169
Headlight washers $416
Hood; 11 items! total $1073
A/C condenser and fan; $1408

Like i said before, this is only good for somebody who knows what to do with it...

1BADRIDE
01-18-2006, 07:19 AM
I think the point some people are trying to make is that for only 10% more (after the cost of rebuild/repair), you could have non-branded vehicle running, cert/e-tested capable of running for another 50,000-100,000 km before any major repairs are required (rebuild for example).

To me, title is important. If one were to try to sell the car later, there is NO CHANCE of getting a reasonable amount for the car. What would you do if you ran a carfax on this car if you were a potential buyer? You'd lowball the hell out of the seller or just say "forget it, bad history".

Now, don't get me wrong - I think this car is being sold for average (or maybe slightly above) street value considering the damage. A good body shop could repair this car easily and a few measurements by a frame straightening shop would tell you how bad the chassis is.

That engine/trans would make a fun E30 swap. Fil, are you parting this thing out or have you found a buyer?

tominizer
01-18-2006, 08:57 AM
^agreed. I think from a money perspective, to fix "this" car and bring it back to life is a loss unless you are planning to keep it forever or somehow change all the VINs to pull a scam. If you ever want to sell it and get money back out that you have invested, be prepared to take it up the wazoo with the rock salt. For someone with a dream of restoring and selling it to make money, dream on. Title on this car is killed. That's just being honest.

Why I say rebuild it is because I think there's more value to take the motor out for a swap and part out and/or dump the remainder of the car. And given the mileage and since you're doing a transplant, you'd be stupid to not rebuild it once it's out. AND, I don't think $7K rebuild is stealership pricing. Could be more then that or a bit less. Depends on the condition when you open it up and the level/quality of restoration. With a motor like this, why in the world would you buy it and cheap out anyways????? That would be completely stupid. You don't deserve to own a motor like this if you're just f-ing around.

BTW, I'm not saying this to hurt the sale of the car. I've just seen too many people buy cars with dreams and they have no idea what they are getting themselves into financially and the amount of work necessary even if you do it yourself. The money I have into the restoration of an E30 M3 is silly. It's a non-recoverable investment now. Do your homework and know what you're getting into. I think everything I've said above is fair and pretty honest.

NickP
01-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Why I say rebuild it is because I think there's more value to take the motor out for a swap and part out and/or dump the remainder of the car. And given the mileage and since you're doing a transplant, you'd be stupid to not rebuild it once it's out. AND, I don't think $7K rebuild is stealership pricing. Could be more then that or a bit less. Depends on the condition when you open it up and the level/quality of restoration. With a motor like this, why in the world would you buy it and cheap out anyways????? That would be completely stupid. You don't deserve to own a motor like this if you're just f-ing around.

Obviously the rebuild price would depend on the motor's condition; duh.
On a decently runnning motor putting in new bearings, rings, seals, oil pump, valve guides / seal, and timing chain/tensioner (did I forget anything major?), even on an s38 is not going to run you 7000. Those of you who threw around BigD's number of 13k also forget the fact that almost everything in that motor was new and upgraded; down to the crank. Tom is like comparing the freshening up of an S14 to a 2.5 rebuild.

Dimitri - I know its hard to come up with an accurate number but how much do you think a plain jain rebuild would have run you if you reused all the major components and didn't need machine work? Say if you dropped the motor off at Charlie and picked it up when complete.

Eurostyle
01-18-2006, 01:07 PM
^agreed. I think from a money perspective, to fix "this" car and bring it back to life is a loss unless you are planning to keep it forever or somehow change all the VINs to pull a scam. If you ever want to sell it and get money back out that you have invested, be prepared to take it up the wazoo with the rock salt. For someone with a dream of restoring and selling it to make money, dream on. Title on this car is killed. That's just being honest.

BTW, I'm not saying this to hurt the sale of the car. I've just seen too many people buy cars with dreams and they have no idea what they are getting themselves into financially and the amount of work necessary even if you do it yourself. The money I have into the restoration of an E30 M3 is silly. It's a non-recoverable investment now. Do your homework and know what you're getting into. I think everything I've said above is fair and pretty honest.

Thats Ok, i wouldnt want someone to buy the car and not know what they are getting into anyways! And i also know Max is known for low ballers, and most likely wont find the right buyer here, but it's going in the Trader tomorrow.

Eurostyle
01-18-2006, 01:12 PM
That engine/trans would make a fun E30 swap. Fil, are you parting this thing out or have you found a buyer?

I'm still debating, i have a lot of options if i was to keep the car...which i'm in love with! BUT i have so many projects/toys and so little time! I can also get a clean E34 (525 or 535) and swap all the M parts into that...

1BADRIDE
01-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Thats Ok, i wouldnt want someone to buy the car and not know what they are getting into anyways! And i also know Max is known for low ballers, and most likely wont find the right buyer here, but it's going in the Trader tomorrow.

Low ballers? What are you talking about... here? on Max? Pffft...

Hey, how about $500 for the E34 M5? *angel*

:D :D :D

tominizer
01-18-2006, 06:47 PM
And, generally speaking, you think 280K on an M motor is going to be nice and mint. You're telling me that a 280K motor when you pop it open will not have things that are close to termination and since it's out you won't do preventative maintenance beyond the basics. Ok, keep dreaming.

Add water pump, wires, distributor, gaskets, etc, etc. All adds up. Add labour and government onto that for the average Joe. I think something around $7K is reasonable when planning for something like this. And for your information, an S14 2.5 rebuild is between $10K to $12K. You're speaking out of your azz on some of this. "Duh" If you really knew, why would you be asking someone else for their opinion ??? "Duh" Some times I actually understand why that Jordan dude acts the way he does. "duh, duh, duh, duh ................. "

dmenheere
01-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Anyway to see the car? I work right around the corner from your shop and was hoping to take a look.

cheers,

Dave

Eurostyle
01-18-2006, 10:03 PM
And, generally speaking, you think 280K on an M motor is going to be nice and mint. You're telling me that a 280K motor when you pop it open will not have things that are close to termination and since it's out you won't do preventative maintenance beyond the basics. Ok, keep dreaming.

Add water pump, wires, distributor, gaskets, etc, etc. All adds up. Add labour and government onto that for the average Joe. I think something around $7K is reasonable when planning for something like this. And for your information, an S14 2.5 rebuild is between $10K to $12K. You're speaking out of your azz on some of this. "Duh" If you really knew, why would you be asking someone else for their opinion ??? "Duh" Some times I actually understand why that Jordan dude acts the way he does. "duh, duh, duh, duh ................. "

I dont know why you assume every "high" milage motor is no good...I have E-test from a year ago, and it passed with great results. The car was maintained at Pfaff, so i'm sure i can get most of the resent history on it...

NickP
01-18-2006, 11:06 PM
And, generally speaking, you think 280K on an M motor is going to be nice and mint. You're telling me that a 280K motor when you pop it open will not have things that are close to termination and since it's out you won't do preventative maintenance beyond the basics. Ok, keep dreaming. Add water pump, wires, distributor, gaskets, etc, etc. All adds up.

If the motor's running well and has been maintained; I would expect that the crank, rods, pistons, valves, and camshafts would be nice and mint - yes. Its not that unusual for the factory cylinder bore cross hatching to still be there either.

I didn't consider the water pump, wires or distributor no.

And for your information, an S14 2.5 rebuild is between $10K to $12K. You're speaking out of your azz on some of this.

I never implied the cost of the 2.5 rebuild being 7000; I was making a comparison of extremes. I would say 10k would be the ceiling of a reasonable cost for a 2.5 build up unless you go to a top dollar shop such as Bavarian; and this includes a new crank, cam(s), pistons, chip and a bunch of machining.

Turner sells the 2.5 kit for like 2200 USD and a single shrick cam is roughly what $500 USD? Once you factor in the other consumables wouldn't you be over 5 grand; and wouldn't this rebuild take alot more work and machining then a freshening rebuild? Noone's saying this rebuild's going to be 2000 here but its also not reaching 7000 unless you have to do some major component replacing.

My duh comment was directed towards the total cost of the rebuild being dependent on the engine condition; obviously if you have internal engine damage its going to cost more. By duh I mean that's obvious.

I think we both pooped on Fil's post enough - if you have anything more to say feel free to PM me.

Eurostyle
01-19-2006, 01:27 AM
Anyway to see the car? I work right around the corner from your shop and was hoping to take a look.

cheers,

Dave

Sure! I'm there 7 days a week, in the afternoon/evening, so call me and we can set a time/day. Cell #is in the sig...

tominizer
01-19-2006, 06:59 PM
True, true Nick........... LMAO. You're a decent guy given the way you responded. Classy............ let's let it be then.

In the back of my mind, I sort of want this motor although I have no project for it. I'd like to see it in an E30 touring as my daily driver family hauler. I just can't see any way to fund it and somehow sneek it past the wife.

Eurostyle
01-19-2006, 11:27 PM
True, true Nick........... LMAO. You're a decent guy given the way you responded. Classy............ let's let it be then.

In the back of my mind, I sort of want this motor although I have no project for it. I'd like to see it in an E30 touring as my daily driver family hauler. I just can't see any way to fund it and somehow sneek it past the wife.

I'm considering an E34 touring project for an M swap, if i can find the right shell, at the right price...in time! lol

tominizer
01-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Best to look state side and outside of the rust belt.

I bought my E30 M3 rolling shell from Texas. Beside it sat my E30 M3 Canadian parts car. I gutted both. The Texas car was a joy to work on even at 15+ yrs old. The Canadian car, I have to say I have now put in my time in lost flesh, gushing blood and the creation of swear words that didn't previously exist. What a brutal nitemare it was to tear it down. *shiner*

Eurostyle
01-21-2006, 01:25 AM
There is an 89 525i for $1500 obo that could be a good candidat for the ///M swap! I still have to go see the car...

Ted in T.O.
01-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Would you like to sell the rims and if so how much for the 5 T Star rims with rubber? Ted

Eurostyle
01-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Would you like to sell the rims and if so how much for the 5 T Star rims with rubber? Ted

Yes, if i part out the car...I have 5 rims, 4 have the center caps, with good Toyo tires...

Ant118
01-21-2006, 04:52 PM
If you part it fil what would you be asking for the whole drivetrain for a Complete swap into a E30. I was thinking an S14 which i have a 2.3 to go in but i have a few interersted in that motor. I could sell the S14 and was wondering what you would want for the complete swap? Thanks

- Anthony

Eurostyle
01-21-2006, 09:32 PM
If you part it fil what would you be asking for the whole drivetrain for a Complete swap into a E30. I was thinking an S14 which i have a 2.3 to go in but i have a few interersted in that motor. I could sell the S14 and was wondering what you would want for the complete swap? Thanks

- Anthony

Pfff...forget the 4 banger! Considering they are both expensive engines, why not go with the one that has real power!!!!:D

tominizer
01-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Of note, if you are considering this motor for a swap into a daily driver, check in with your insurance first regarding your coverage, if you want coverage.......... and then bent over deeply and feel them plunger action you with the rock salt :moon: Even if you go with Lant (non- daily driver and you have to have coverage on a daily)which means you are restricted with regard to how much and when you can drive (on paper!!), because it's a motor swap, you get to pay more.........

I luv the insurance fraud game ................ phukers should rot in hell.

bmwm5lover
01-23-2006, 10:02 AM
^ actually no. You can swap a engine into your car, or raise the displacement or what not, supercharge it or even turbo'd, if you don't tell your insurance, in case of a an accident where your car needs major engine repairs, or is written off, they won't cover your engine, because they didn't know, and you haven't been paying the higher premium. Same with rims, skirts, fancy Audio components, etc. Actually, you may be in more trouble if your car is lowered, as opposed to an engine swap. Some food for thought.
I have seen some of this first hand, and from what I have been told by insurance companies.
Now let the man sell this sexy car in piece.

tominizer
01-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Damn, sorry.............. not meaning to screw this sale. Just something I was told about on Sunday and never realized............. heard from someone else exactly what I said. Because the car not what was covered in the details of the insurance, they have the right to bone you hard. Hope you're rite man. Otherwise that would really suck balls. Again, my appologies. Fak....... ok, I'm banning myself from this post.................*shiner*

Eurostyle
01-25-2006, 01:31 AM
New price; $6000 obo.

suicide
01-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Empty Your Mail Box

Eurostyle
01-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Bump for a rare car, only 138 E34 M5s sold in Canada!!!

BigD
01-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Dimitri - I know its hard to come up with an accurate number but how much do you think a plain jain rebuild would have run you if you reused all the major components and didn't need machine work? Say if you dropped the motor off at Charlie and picked it up when complete.

4-5k tops. BTW, J&E racing pistons are far far cheaper than non-forged OE BMW ///M5 pistons. The only additional expense is boring the block.

And don't kid yourselves guys, at 280k these engines have 20k of life left tops. If they were treated less than perfectly (which you'll never know until you rebuild it), it's long overdue for a rebuild.

Eurostyle
01-31-2006, 02:19 PM
New price $5500 obo! Car runs and drives!

Eurostyle
02-05-2006, 03:11 PM
SOLD!*wave*

Woofer
02-05-2006, 03:58 PM
lol who bought it fil?!?!?!

Eurostyle
02-06-2006, 12:48 AM
lol who bought it fil?!?!?!

He is not on Max (yet!), but he is doing the swap into an E28...Terry would love this!!!:D

Ted in T.O.
02-06-2006, 08:31 AM
I wonder if he will have it ready for 5er fest?Can you forward his name along to me so i can contact him about the 5er fest event at the end of May? Ted

Striker
02-06-2006, 09:10 AM
4-5k tops. BTW, J&E racing pistons are far far cheaper than non-forged OE BMW ///M5 pistons. The only additional expense is boring the block.

And don't kid yourselves guys, at 280k these engines have 20k of life left tops. If they were treated less than perfectly (which you'll never know until you rebuild it), it's long overdue for a rebuild.

What was the average cost of the JE pistons Big D?