PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Mirage BPS-400 Home Theater Subwoofer

Hibbing
01-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Considered the finest LFE subwoofer ever made. 2 12" heavy duty bipolar subs in a huge box driven by 400/1200 watts and weighing in at 110 pounds. This sub is mint and short of finding a new one in a box the condition does not get any better than this. $900.
Home Cinema Choice said in a review:

Meet a true North American bass heavyweight, the huge Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer. With just under a half kilowatt of power from an onboard pulse width-modulated power amp, driving two diametrically-opposed 12in cones of genuine might under serious grilles, this handsome piece of grown-ups' furniture is about as much as anyone could really need.

The impressively deep bass at the beginning of the Mars track on the DTS audio demo CD I tried has a huge 15Hz thrum to it. Even at a relatively low level, it scared a small child I had in the house at the time. It produced the heaviest, lowest wobbliest pressures ever heard in my living room. Well below the resonance of my glass cabinet-units, the feeling of moving eardrums was as hectic upstairs while the subwoofer was running, as when sharing the room with the brute.

A vast neo-subsonic weight fills the room, with staggering presence. The kick bass drum on another track was like being in a huge arena when the rock group is sound checking. You can feel the pressure wave simply waft clean through you. All this is achieved with utter control and tight footwork.

Never does it become muddy or strained sounding. An expensive piece most certainly, but absolutely monstrous in output. When explosions occur onscreen, be careful. You could find that without some of the pressure being released, it'll inflate your room to a spherical form for a moment. You have been warned.

This BPS-400 subwoofer is fabulous Ė an ebony-black expanse thatís best for clean and non-greasy palm-print homes. In every sense itís a monstrous subwoofer, and a viable alternative to the REL Stentor II customer, or even the KEFís mighty THX-approved £2.5K over-engineered behemoth. Able to reach down to 18Hz easily, it plays car audio Ďbassí CDs like they were piffle, and has enough power to heat a small home. Two 12in drivers are enclosed within a big solid box and the best part of a half-kilowatt RMS drives them both.

It seemed like it should make a difference, but the subwoofer just didnít care. It rumbled, thumped and all but blew the windows out of the frame. This Mirage not only has control, low-end fidelity and power, but also a bit of an attitude problem. Want to play your system politely at night? Youíll have to use the subís onboard volume control. If you donít, the thing will just retort ĎI donít give a FWOOOHM.í I came to love it with a deep and abiding passion. My neighbours are so happy that weíre moving out soon.

Highs : Seemingly limitless low end extension, with a volume level that will wobble the glass in your windows. Like a velvet hammer with tremendous control
Lows : This monster will knock hell out of your relationship with your neighbours. A beastly subwoofer
Slam
Depth
Precision
Overall

FOCUS
All the power and grunting ability you could ask for. A Bipolar Bassmeister with a stunning ability to hurl huge great gouts of air about the room with pinpoint precision

Model : Mirage BPS-400
Approximate price : £1,300 Pounds.

SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency response at 18Hz : 50-100Hz
Power : 400W from onboard Pulse Width Modulated amplifier
Connections : Stereo RCA input; mono LFE RCA input
Features : Sealed enclosure with two 12in drivers firing in bipolar array and 400W RMS onboard amplification; Auto on/off circuit; clipping protection circuit; gain and crossover point knobs
Dimensions : 597(w) x 546(h) x 459(d)mm
Weight : 50kg

Hibbing
01-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Reduced to $875, this is a STEAL.

1BADRIDE
01-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi Hibbing... you always have awesome electronics for sale. Was this unit yours (personal use) or do you have a business dealing with h/e?

How old is the unit and how much use has it seen, any scuffs or other marks on the finish?

Any remaining warranty on the unit and does it have a manufacture date?

Hibbing
01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi Hibbing... you always have awesome electronics for sale. Was this unit yours (personal use) or do you have a business dealing with h/e?

How old is the unit and how much use has it seen, any scuffs or other marks on the finish?

Any remaining warranty on the unit and does it have a manufacture date?
The unit is mint. I got it 3 months ago from a guy in Ajax and been using it ever since. The sub is mint with no marks on the piano gloss at all. As for the post above I have no clue what else he can tell you about these subs.